Mediterranean Cruise - Pls help me decide on which itinerary

boyznme

Looking to cruise the mediterranean for the first time this spring May 2015.

I have found two itineraries from HAL. One starts in Rome which allows us more time

in Rome which is great.....but......they other has VENICE. So hard to choose so whatever thoughts or opinions you have would be appreciated.

ITINERARY 1

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Wed May 6 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 4:00pm

Thu May 7 Naples (Capri), Italy 8:00am 6:00pm

Fri May 8 Palermo, Sicily, Italy 8:00am 4:00pm

Sat May 9 La Goulette, Tunisia 7:00am 5:00pm

Sun May 10 At Sea

Mon May 11 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Tue May 12 Calvi, Corsica, France 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed May 13 Monte Carlo, Monaco 8:00am 11:00pm

Thu May 14 St. Tropez, France 8:00am 11:00pm

Fri May 15 At Sea

Sat May 16 Barcelona, Spain 8:00am

Sun May 17 Barcelona, Spain Disembark

ITINERARY 2

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sat May 16 Venice, Italy 11:00pm

Sun May 17 At Sea

Mon May 18 Dubrovnik, Croatia 8:00am 11:59pm

Tue May 19 Kotor, Montenegro 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed May 20 Corfu, Greece 11:00am 8:00pm

Thu May 21 At Sea

Fri May 22 Naples (Capri), Italy 8:00am 6:00pm

Sat May 23 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 8:00pm

Sun May 24 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 8:00am 8:00pm

Mon May 25 Monte Carlo, Monaco 8:00am 11:00pm

Tue May 26 St. Tropez, France 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed May 27 Barcelona, Spain Noon

Thu May 28 Barcelona, Spain Disembark

You can't go wrong on either one. Anywhere in the Mediterranean is fantastic.

Our first cruise was in 1989, we went out of Venice, we fly to Milan, hired a private car to take us to Venice, then cruised from Venice to LaHavre, France, where we got off and went to Paris, ship continued on to Southampton England.

We have cruised since from various ports including Rome, Istanbul, Athens, Barcelona to many ports in the Mediterranean. We have also done a number of Transatlantics to ports in the Mediterranean. Seen most ports. We can go again and again.

Venice is a fantastic city but so in Barcelona, Rome, Istanbul, Athens.... I think you get the point they are all wonderful.

We leave again in October out of Rome to Greece, Turkey, Israel and back to Italy.

Hope you pick one and go... then you might be like us and keep going again and again. :)

We were on a HAL cruise that left from Civitavecchia (sp?) last year and loved it! So, I would chose the cruise that leaves from Venice since I haven't been there yet. It would be wonderful to sail out of Venice - go while ships are still allowed to do that.

Whatever cruise you select, go a few days early to enjoy Rome or Venice before you go. There is so much to see.

Happy cruising. :)

We were on a HAL cruise that left from Civitavecchia (sp?) last year and loved it! So, I would chose the cruise that leaves from Venice since I haven't been there yet. It would be wonderful to sail out of Venice - go while ships are still allowed to do that.

Whatever cruise you select, go a few days early to enjoy Rome or Venice before you go. There is so much to see.

Happy cruising. :)

I totally agree grab a few extra days in Rome and Hal are great

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those are excellent itineraries. We have done similar itineraries.

But I would choose the one that starts in Rome -- go over a few days early and see everything. Also I see that cruise starting in Rome arrives at 8 AM giving you an entire day to explore there (and pack) before getting off the ship the next day.

There is no question, take teh cruise that takes you to Dubrovnik.

By the way, Venice is highly overrated. I love Rome, but I'd pass it up for Dubrovnik. Also Kotor, although I did not feel safe there after dark.

My husband and I both agree, Dubrovnik is at the top of our favorite places on this earth.

There is no question, take teh cruise that takes you to Dubrovnik.

By the way, Venice is highly overrated. I love Rome, but I'd pass it up for Dubrovnik. Also Kotor, although I did not feel safe there after dark.

My husband and I both agree, Dubrovnik is at the top of our favorite places on this earth.

Venice over rated WHAT! cant go along with that, but we also loved Dubrovnik . As far as the O.P. ques I would go for number 2 good luck with you decision.

If you ask for opinions, you'll get as many as there are different ports on your two cruises.

I'll just suggest that Rome deserves several days, but you could fly over early to Rome, spend 3 nights there, then travel to Venice (easy by fast train) to get on your cruise. That might be a good option for you if you can take the time.

(And as to opinions, Dubrovnik is nice but I'd never trade it for time in Rome; there's so much to see and do there. ;))

I like the second itinerary better as it includes Croatia, so if it was me I would fly into Rome a few days early and then get a fast train up to Venice the day before to catch your cruise. Alternatively you could do the first itinerary but fly into Venice first and spend a couple of days, then get the train down to Rome.

The best part of Itinerary One is that it leaves from Rome. It would give you a few days to explore. Other than that, I'd vote for Itinerary Two hands down.

The best parts of Itinerary Two are it starts in Venice (awesome) and would give you time to ride the gondolas and water taxis around the city, it goes to Dubrovnik (awesome) you have to walk the walls, sample the food and learn some recent history, and Corfu (wonderful) explore the old city, fortress, and see a Greek show with traditional music and dancing. Don't forget the food!

Getting around Italy is easy by train so if you can fit in a few extra days before your cruise then either

Itinerary 1 - Fly in to Venice for a couple of days, then catch the train to Rome for a couple more days before you board your cruise.

Or

Itinerary 2 - Fly in to Rome for a couple of days, then catch the train to Venice for a couple more days before you board your cruise.