Newcastle upon Tyne East Coast Taxi and Tours

I'm puzzled. I don't know much about East Coast Taxis from Newcastle upon Tyne in North Eastern England for your trip to Alnwick (pronounced Annick) Castle, but I think you may be confusing this Newcastle with a town named Newcastle in County Down in Northern Ireland. I can't see a company from NE England would provide tours across the Irish Sea.

But I could be wrong.

There are also several towns with Newcastle in the name in the Irish Republic......a popular name.

Edited by turnip eater

I just Googled them. They're based in Whitley Bay, not the port of Newcastle upon Tyne and they DO offer tours to Alnwick. It would depend where you're docking, but I'm sure they'd pick you up and drop you off. It says the tour takes 5 hours - will you have enough time?:)

I just Googled them. They're based in Whitley Bay, not the port of Newcastle upon Tyne and they DO offer tours to Alnwick. It would depend where you're docking, but I'm sure they'd pick you up and drop you off. It says the tour takes 5 hours - will you have enough time?:)

But of course they'll be of no use if the OP means Ireland, not England:D

But of course they'll be of no use if the OP means Ireland, not England:D

I live near the port in Newcastle. The ship actually docks at a place called North Shields which is very close to the piers at the mouth of the river. North Shields is approx 8 miles from Newcastle. East Coast Taxis are based near North Shields so are very handy. I have never used them for a tour as I live here but I have used them for local taxi journeys.

Alnwick Castle is beautiful and is famous for filming of scenes from Harry Potter.

http://www.eastcoasttaxis.com/tours.html

https://www.alnwickcastle.com/explore/film-and-tv

Thanks for posting this. We are scheduled to stop in Newcastle next year and were going to take the train from North Shield to Newcastle but this gives us some more options. Any comments on Newcastle as a destination?

Thanks for posting this. We are scheduled to stop in Newcastle next year and were going to take the train from North Shield to Newcastle but this gives us some more options. Any comments on Newcastle as a destination?[/QUOT

Like most ports I guess,all depends what you want. The local train,called the Metro will take around 30 minutes to get to Newcastle city centre.

Newcastle has some beautiful architecture. If you want shopping ask jump in a taxi in Newcastle and ask for the Metrocentre the journey will take 15 mins or so.

The coastline is only 1 mile from the cruise terminal at North Shields and has nice beaches but our British weather doesn't normally allow for beach days :) The nearest place for the seafront is a place called Tynemouth.

Northumberland is the county with fantastic scenery,Alnwick castle is in Norhtumberland.You wouldn't have time to do Newcastle and Alnwick Castle so you would need to decide your day before you leave the ship.

http://www.visitnewcastle.com/

http://www.tynemouth.info/

http://www.intumetrocentre.co.uk/?gclid=CPrr2cn2hcwCFU4o0wod7fINXg

Just a few more ideas of places to visit in Newcastle.

Seaton Delaval Hall is a National Trust property to the a short way north of the city

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/seaton-delaval-hall

Another idea would be to visit Segendum museum, which is the site of one of the forts at the end of Hadrians wall.

https://segedunumromanfort.org.uk

It would also be worth considering a tour along Hadrians wall visiting Vindolanda and Housesteads both are intresting sites.

Just a few more ideas of places to visit in Newcastle.

Seaton Delaval Hall is a National Trust property to the a short way north of the city

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/seaton-delaval-hall

Another idea would be to visit Segendum museum, which is the site of one of the forts at the end of Hadrians wall.

https://segedunumromanfort.org.uk

It would also be worth considering a tour along Hadrians wall visiting Vindolanda and Housesteads both are intresting sites.

I wouldn't recommend Segedunum.I live in Wallsend the town of Segedunum where the Wall Ends (Hence the name of the town Wallsend) There isn't that much to see there and it would take up part of your day having to get there and then back again,all depends your planned route of course.

Edited by UK Cruiser2

My ship (Oceania Marina) will be docked from 8 am to 9 pm in Newcastle, UK. I have an 11:00 tee time scheduled at Close House Golf Club, which I think is about 40 mins. away from the port. I am going to have a taxi take us there. Do you think I need to make an advance reservation or will there be plenty of taxis at the port?

Thanks for everyone's help. I think we are going to book the Alnwick Castle shore excursion thru East Coast Taxi and Tours. I appreciate everyone taking the time with suggestions.:D

Gloria

Gloria, I notice the East Coast Taxi tour doesn't include admission to the castle or gardens. Is that how you read it?

Gloria, I notice the East Coast Taxi tour doesn't include admission to the castle or gardens. Is that how you read it?

Yes, that is correct. I have been in contact with them and it sounds like a nice day and I am going to book it today. We will be there on July 2nd if you would like a review.

Gloria

A review would be most handy thanks Gloria. Will you do it on this thread or should I send you my email address?

I will post a review of the tour here but it won't be until the beginning of August. My husband and I decided to purchase the castle tour in advance from the web site and wait to see if we had enough time to see the gardens. We're excited to go there since we went to Althorp several years ago.

Gloria

• 3 months later...

We will be in Newcastle Upon Tyne next year.

Has anyone taken Tour #4 - Visit Alnwick Castle or Tour #8 - Tour of Coastal Sites? Any comments on either of these tours.

Perhaps someone can comment on which of these sites would be best to visit, Alnwick Castle and Gardens or Tynemouth Castle & Priory.

Thanks for any input you may have.

I will post a review of the tour here but it won't be until the beginning of August. My husband and I decided to purchase the castle tour in advance from the web site and wait to see if we had enough time to see the gardens.

Gloria

We had a wonderful tour with East Coast Taxi and Tours in June. Clive was our driver/guide and he did a wonderful job of showing us the area as we made our way to Alnwick Castle. The castle did not disappoint and, in fact, we wished we had more time to visit the Gardens and the other activities going on. We all had a great day and I highly recommend it. :)

Gloria

We had a wonderful tour with East Coast Taxi and Tours in June. Clive was our driver/guide and he did a wonderful job of showing us the area as we made our way to Alnwick Castle. The castle did not disappoint and, in fact, we wished we had more time to visit the Gardens and the other activities going on. We all had a great day and I highly recommend it. :)

Gloria

Thanks Gloria. We used East Coast Taxis a few days ago and also had Clive as our driver. I endorse everything you say. We did the Three Castles Tour, and added in a fish and chip lunch at Pinnacles in Seahouses (just down the road from Bamburgh Castle) and had a great day. The service was great and Clive in particular an absolute gem. Both knowledgable and personable. All you can ask for in a guide.

• 2 weeks later...

We used East Coast Taxis back in May and had a wonderful day. Our guide was Clive and he was terrific. He was just a wealth of information. Our tour was to Alnwick Castle (used in the final episodes of Downton Abbey). We stopped first at Warkworth Castle, then proceeded to Alnwick. We spent about 3-4 hours there but could have stayed longer. It is worth the extra admission to see the gardens. On the return, we did a few scenic stops and then Clive took us to see some of the sights in Newcastle, including the Millennium Bridge. We had booked a 5 hour tour for 170 pounds. We were gone at least 7 hours and Clive still charged us only 170 pounds. He even had a few other places he wanted us to see but we were being very conservative on time - didn't want to be late back. There were 8 of us, so under 30 pounds each for 7 hours was a great deal. I heartily recommend East Coast Taxi Tours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums