OB Category

Shay123

We have elected the OB option and gotten V3/V4's in the past. We have an OB for the upcoming Dubai-Monaco cruise, and are once again crossing our fingers. However, for next year's Antartica adventure, I picked a cabin in advance because I wanted something low and in the middle of the ship, given the stories about the Drake passage.

Make sure you look at the veranda cabins on the 5th deck forward. If you want a full size veranda you may not get it in the first 3-5 cabins on either side. Folks who book a veranda will not pick these so someone with a guarantee will be placed there. Seabourn will then offer you an upgrade for a price.

I booked a V1 guarantee for my recent Seabourn Antarctica cruise, and was allocated a V6 interconnecting cabin. With the stories on cruise critic of noise transfer in interconnecting cabins, I was not overly excited about the allocation at first. In reality, I couldn't have been happier. Absolutely no noise transfer from the adjoining cabin (yes it was occupied!) and even on deck 8 with a challenging Drake Passage in both directions, the location was fantastic with the ship riding the waves very well.

The guarantee option is always a lottery though. We got lucky with ours, but you could end up anywhere and there are some locations that others have mentioned that are probably less than ideal, particularly those at the very front of the ship.

We were delighted to save as much as we did by booking an OB Veranda for our upcoming cruise. It will be our first on Seabourn so even if we are allocated the "least desirable" suite we expect to be very satisfied.

I have only take a GTY twice when it was a late booking and that was all that was available. As these cruises were both on the little ships we risked it because IMHO there were no bad suites on these ships -- with the exception of handicapped suites with shower only ( I like having a bathtub).

The big sisters I think are an entirely different story as there are there are issues with some of the suites. And I have to say as much as I love the V-6 suites on Deck 8 that is not the place I want to risk ending up on a cruise to Antartica so I have booked a V-2 midship on Deck 5. Cruising Kirby may have been fine with being up there , and maybe I would be as well but I don't want take a chance and risk having the motion of the ship affect my enjoyment of this special trip.

As has often been stated on this board, a GTY seems like a brilliant move when you end up with a suite you like -- which does seem to happen to many. But there have also been many threads started by those who gambled and lost, in that they drew a suite not to their liking, and then moaned and asked for help on how to change their suite. If you are sure you will be happy with any suite go for it -- but many of us it is not usually worth the risk.

I am in total agreement with Chairsin. We book midship deck 5 now and have had no issue with ship motion, even in hurricane conditions. Mid-ship deck 6 is an excellent location as well. We booked a GTY once on the small Legend, taking a chance because we were sailing in the Caribbean. We ended up with a mid-ship suite on deck 5 and were lucky with the weather, but decided not to risk it again. To us, the saving was not worth the worry.

We've had to book OB for a couple of cruises. It was a case of take a chance on OB or don't take the cruise at all. The risk paid off each time and we were very happy with our allocation, (V5 and V6) but as someone pointed out upthread, it's a lottery and I don't think we'd risk it in the future.

Edited by Nigella

We booked OB for our first cruise last May. Two weeks before departure we were allocated a special access veranda suite on deck 5. We liked the location and the suite very much, particularly the walk in shower and the bathroom size. We were not happy with the closet doors as they were partly unhinged and difficult to slide. We were offered the removal of the doors but did not want the wardrobe open permanently. The door difficulty was known apparently for a long time but not acted on.

We have booked OB again for this summer, this time for 14 nights. This discussion reminds me that I haven't checked yet if we've been allocated a suite.