Documentation Needed for Solo Parent bringing kid

tfabrizio

Why? Do you can be clear on what is needed like you were?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I belong it had to do with Mexican authorities wanting the verify the vacation was a legitimate one and not a parent teying to run from the other parent and using their country to hide in. Things may have changed since our cruise, that is why I said to check the State Department website for the most up to date information.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I do believe the Mexico rules are for land vacations only. Closed loop cruises are different. I have never been asked for a letter on our cruises before, and disembarking in the ports requires nothing except your room keyID.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Again, a situation where it is very easy to obtain a notarized letter before you cruise that you may not need at all; versus being asked for it and not having it. It really is about the easiest ounce of prevention you can do for yourself.

Not where I was going.. What's your first instinct at a hospital, hand over an insurance card. Now, you have something with a different name on it being presented to the staff, which can lead to fun questions in an emergency, especially if last names don't match (remember, this thread may be read by other people!)

Again, my point is better to have and never need, then need and never have, especially since you are already getting something notarized the net cost is free, maybe $1?

There will be no problem with Amy insurance because they will not be accepting anything except a credit card. You can deal with insurance after you get home.

The big problem is people try to apply US rules to other countries. They have their own and Americans are usually quite shocked when they find out what they are.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

NCL recently changed the age requirement FAQ page. Previously the Parental Consent Form was only required if neither parent/guardian was sailing, but not if one was sailing. Now for itineraries with Canadian ports (Alaska, Pacific Coastal and Canada/New England) a letter, preferably notarized, is required unless both parents are sailing. This would be in addition to the Parental Consent Release Form, if applicable.

While it may never be needed, I'd want the notarized letter just in case. Unless the other parent is uncooperative, it's such a simple thing to do for peace of mind.

It's a different scenario, of course but we have cruised with grandchildren without their parents and we were asked for the letters; we had 7 kids with us and they very carefully matched up each child with his or her letter or permission--also when leaving the ship at immigration.

While it may never be needed, I'd want the notarized letter just in case. Unless the other parent is uncooperative, it's such a simple thing to do for peace of mind.

NCL seems to have waited to make this change until after the Canada season. We will have to wait to see if it is enforced.