Train from port to Anchorage post-cruise

LuvCats!

I'm curious--can anyone tell me how the train (scheduled through RCCL) works after the cruise? The arrival time is at 4 a.m. (sunrise is at 7:12 or so that day). Do the trains leave immediately after arrival or is there a delay? Obviously I realize it can't leave at 4 but I have no clue how long arrival procedures take, etc. I realize a delayed arrival changes things, but if all goes well does the train leave before daylight? (We signed up (paying extra) for a scenic train but if it is dark what is the point?). I'm emailing them to find out for sure but thought experienced people might be able to help me figure it out meanwhile.

What does my question have to do with the sunset???

I did google Alaska sunRISE and it said 7:15 or so for that particular day. :) Sunset was around 8:30-45 I forget exactly (while we are there the sunset in Anchorage changes by like 7 minutes or so.

Thanks for responding though. :)

Trust me, you have nothing to worry about taking a train in the early morning darkness.

That's the good news. The bad news is that you won't leave Seward by rail until 6 pm.

Here is the train schedule:

http://alaskarailroad.com/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

Now, you will have all day to explore Seward or take some excursions like the Kenai Fjords tours......

Since you are on RCCL, the "Radiance" usually sends the cruise-contracted trains from Seward to Anchorage between 6:30-7:00am. It's a little over four hours for the trip. The regular Alaska Railroad run from Seward leaves at 6pm.

For people reading this post who come into Whittier on Princess, their ships usually dock by 12:30am but you can't access the tunnel out of town until at least 6am.

Edited by Chenega

I'm curious--can anyone tell me how the train (scheduled through RCCL) works after the cruise? The arrival time is at 4 a.m. (sunrise is at 7:12 or so that day). Do the trains leave immediately after arrival or is there a delay? Obviously I realize it can't leave at 4 but I have no clue how long arrival procedures take, etc. I realize a delayed arrival changes things, but if all goes well does the train leave before daylight? (We signed up (paying extra) for a scenic train but if it is dark what is the point?). I'm emailing them to find out for sure but thought experienced people might be able to help me figure it out meanwhile.
Even if the ship gets to Seward at 4 am, they will not begin disembarking passengers then. The ship needs to dock and be cleared. The early morning train to Anchorage is a special train scheduled for cruise passengers, so it won't leave until all the cruise passengers who have booked it are on board.

We took that train ride several years ago, and as I recall they did not start letting the first passengers off the ship until 7 a.m. or so. It was probably around 8, maybe even later, when the train departed. I don't remember the exact time.

They will not make you get off the ship in the middle of the night and it will definitely be light outside. :)

The ship will assign you a disembarkation time that will get you off in plenty of time to make the morning train so there is no need to rush or worry.

The morning train pulls up on a track right outside the cruise terminal so you don't even need to go over to the train depot. You just walk out the door of the cruise terminal and get on the train.

But here is one more possibility to consider:

Unless you need to get to Anchorage early to catch an early flight out, I would recommend booking the evening train out of Seward instead of the morning train.

Then you would be able to take one of the wonderful Kenai Fjords cruises from Seward that day. Take one of the scenic cruises that is at least 6 hours long and actually gets you up into the fjords, not a 3 hour cruise that only stays inside Resurrection Bay.

The tour operators all get you back to Seward in time to catch the evening train to Anchorage, and it stays light outside for that one too.

But that will work only if you have a very late flight out that night or if you are staying over at least another day because the evening train does not get up to Anchorage in time to catch any of the early flights out the same night.

Since you are on RCCL, the "Radiance" usually sends the cruise-contracted trains from Seward to Anchorage between 6:30-7:00am. It's a little over four hours for the trip. The regular Alaska Railroad run from Seward leaves at 6pm.

For people reading this post who come into Whittier on Princess, their ships usually dock by 12:30am but you can't access the tunnel out of town until at least 6am.

I was looking for that contracted train but I couldn't find it. In any case, the OP has nothing to worry about.

I have used the cruise (RCI Radiance) train (Grandview Railroad) transfers from Seward to Anchorage..We left at approx 7:00am it's a 126 mile trip and we arrived to the door of ANC approx 11:30am...To participate your flight home can be no earlier than 1:30pm..This guided/narrated train trip was one of the highlights of our cruise..You cannot book this on their website and must contact RCI directly or have your TA do it for you...Just remember this train transfer option books up very quickly so don't delay in your decision ...Enjoy !!!!

Edited by Ashland

There is not much information on these boards concerning the train from Seward to Anchorage. I have celebrity brochure and not much information in there or their website.

I booked train (Seward to ANC) thru my TA and also booked thru him and Celebrity 1 night hotel in Anchorage at the Hilton after I get off the train. Received my e-docs and no information provided other than hotel voucher.

I will have to call and find out more details. Like how do I get from train depot in Anc to hotel? Walk? When I originally booked with travel agent I was told I would not have to worry about carrying my luggage...all would be handled since I booked with Celebrity. Now I just found out that I will have to get from hotel to airport on my own. That is not a problem, just not what I was told. Reliable travel agent in the past...first time staying at hotel post cruise and more questions than answers.

There must be a lot of cruise passengers on this train...am I the only one with questions?

There is not much information on these boards concerning the train from Seward to Anchorage. I have celebrity brochure and not much information in there or their website.

I booked train (Seward to ANC) thru my TA and also booked thru him and Celebrity 1 night hotel in Anchorage at the Hilton after I get off the train. Received my e-docs and no information provided other than hotel voucher.

I will have to call and find out more details. Like how do I get from train depot in Anc to hotel? Walk? When I originally booked with travel agent I was told I would not have to worry about carrying my luggage...all would be handled since I booked with Celebrity. Now I just found out that I will have to get from hotel to airport on my own. That is not a problem, just not what I was told. Reliable travel agent in the past...first time staying at hotel post cruise and more questions than answers.

There must be a lot of cruise passengers on this train...am I the only one with questions?

I will suggest you rethink this perhaps. You have booked the cruise contracted train?? and a cruise booked hotel in Anchorage. Why not ckeck out to see if Seward is of any touring interest to you?? It is a LOADED area with superb opportunities to consider- Exit Glacier, Alaska Sealife center, and the highlight- Kenai Fjords boat tours- loaded with varied wildllife and close up glacier view. Not sure, if you have some plans in Anchorage?? But, overall they aren't on this scale.

IF you consider doing some- bookings on your own, it is simple. Book your Seward activities. Book yourself on the regular run of the Alaska RR, leaving at 6pm- cheaper than the contracted train. Finally, book yourself in a hotel. This could allow you to take advantage of being somewhere, that might not be a frequent trip.

I have used the cruise (RCI Radiance) train (Grandview Railroad) transfers from Seward to Anchorage..We left at approx 7:00am it's a 126 mile trip and we arrived to the door of ANC approx 11:30am...To participate your flight home can be no earlier than 1:30pm..This guided/narrated train trip was one of the highlights of our cruise..You cannot book this on their website and must contact RCI directly or have your TA do it for you...Just remember this train transfer option books up very quickly so don't delay in your decision ...Enjoy !!!!

We have it booked through RCCI already (and paid for) so I'm not sure they'd let me change it if we decided to. My husband has family in Anchorage so we are staying Friday-Monday (ship arrives Friday a.m.). As tempting as doing some things in Seward sound I think he will be anxious to get into Anchorage. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

This is the perfect option for us since we don't want to do any Kenai Fjords trips this time.

Do you happen to know how far out this is available for booking? I will get my TA on it early for our August 2015 cruise :)

This is the perfect option for us since we don't want to do any Kenai Fjords trips this time.

Do you happen to know how far out this is available for booking? I will get my TA on it early for our August 2015 cruise :)

I believe we had to wait until approx 90 days out..but that wouldn't stop me from checking often...since RCI's release schedule can vary..It won't show up online I have had to call and they told me the approx timeframe...you can make that call yourself...then when you know it's open for booking call your TA...I always book everything myself but I know you should make sure your TA acts quickly as this cruisetrain option can sell out...don't ever wait until the last minute or when boarding...they will be sold out. BTW : it's (as of last May) $105.00pp it keeps going up a few $$ every season we've noticed.

We have it booked through RCCI already (and paid for) so I'm not sure they'd let me change it if we decided to. My husband has family in Anchorage so we are staying Friday-Monday (ship arrives Friday a.m.). As tempting as doing some things in Seward sound I think he will be anxious to get into Anchorage. :)

Since it's not paid until your final payment is due you have the option to cancel if necessary...even after that up to a point you can cancel for a credit to your credit card and even once onboard if you cancel it will then be an OBC.

I believe we had to wait until approx 90 days out..but that wouldn't stop me from checking often...since RCI's release schedule can vary..It won't show up online I have had to call and they told me the approx timeframe...you can make that call yourself...then when you know it's open for booking call your TA...I always book everything myself but I know you should make sure your TA acts quickly as this cruisetrain option can sell out...don't ever wait until the last minute or when boarding...they will be sold out. BTW : it's (as of last May) $105.00pp it keeps going up a few $$ every season we've noticed.

Thanks! I will make a note to call RCI in February to see when it is available to book. I'm guessing it will be set up for those sailing in May by then :)

If you are taking the train from Anchorage to Seward, booked at the same time you booked the cruise thru RCCL, do you get the early train? (6:45am)

No, if you book the cruise contracted, it leaves later morning, getting into Seward late afternoon. I find big problems with this timing. Too early for any touring out of Anchorage and arriving too late for much of anything out of Seward. Add to the mix, it's usually, at least $20 more than the regular run.

Edited by Budget Queen

• 2 weeks later...

SeaPete,

The Alaska Railroad train depot is about 2 city blocks south of the hotel you are talking about, the Hilton Hotel. It is very close but the hotel is up hill so there should be a bus transfer at the train depot but try and confirm that.

SeaPete,

The Alaska Railroad train depot is about 2 city blocks south of the hotel you are talking about, the Hilton Hotel. It is very close but the hotel is up hill so there should be a bus transfer at the train depot but try and confirm that.

I think that SeaPete has probably cruised already since his post is from 2012 ;)