Ultimate Balcony Dining on Ruby Princess

cruzn fun

I haven't had the UBD on the Ruby but have had it on 4 other ships and the times have been at 6:00 & 8:00. Sometimes those times are slightly modified such as the time we had it earlier so our photos could be taken during sunset.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for info. We depart Catalina Island at 6pm and sunset is about 6:30. I am thinking 6pm on this day would work. I'm hoping for not a lot of wind. We are mid ship on Caribe deck. This is our first UBD :)

That sounds great & with a larger Caribe deck balcony it's possible to move the table closer to the cabin's sliding glass door to get out of the wind. :)

Thanks for info. We depart Catalina Island at 6pm and sunset is about 6:30. I am thinking 6pm on this day would work. I'm hoping for not a lot of wind. We are mid ship on Caribe deck. This is our first UBD :)

That would be excellent. Make sure you book it asap after boarding.

Where do you book the UBD? Call dine line or in person? We want to do it on our Med cruise next year. Will be our first. Thanks so much.

We did the UBD on our Med Cruise this year, and we both thought it was amazing. The food was incredible and with the sunset it was just perfect. It is also very good value for money at $100 per couple, considering you get cocktails, photo, half a bottle of fizzy, flowers plus the multi course dinner

We did UBD on the Ruby on our recent Alaska cruise. We chose to do it after Skagway (night 5), and apparently we were the first couple to UBD that cruise! A phenomenal experience. Hopefully you'll get Romel as your UBD waiter...he's great, and has this neat English/Australian accent (even though he swears he learned English from native teachers in his native country). He and his junior waiter worked hard to make sure we had a fantastic time. They took pictures of us when requested, allowed us to take pictures of the food, and of course timed everything so well. Can't wait to do it again!

Where do you book the UBD? Call dine line or in person? We want to do it on our Med cruise next year. Will be our first. Thanks so much.

Before our Princess cruise this past February, I called Princess to order the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast (or whatever it is called). The operator asked if I'd like to book a balcony dinner, so I was able to do it before sailing. When we got onboard I called room service and the manager was in our cabin before we sailed! Great service and an amazing dining experience.

Before our Princess cruise this past February, I called Princess to order the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast (or whatever it is called). The operator asked if I'd like to book a balcony dinner, so I was able to do it before sailing. When we got onboard I called room service and the manager was in our cabin before we sailed! Great service and an amazing dining experience.

When you booked the UBD before your cruise were you also able to reserve a date & time?

I ask because the one time we prepaid for the UBD we had to call room service to reserve a date & time but sometimes things change.

When you booked the UBD before your cruise were you also able to reserve a date & time?

I ask because the one time we prepaid for the UBD we had to call room service to reserve a date & time but sometimes things change.

No, I had to wait until I was onboard. Which makes sense, if they can only do so many a day. We were sailing to Hawaii, and the room service manager helped us pick a time based on predicted weather and seas. We ended up eating in our cabin due to high winds. (We were in the last mini-suite on the starboard side.) One of the best meals we've ever had anywhere.

When I booked and paid for the UBD before a cruise, we still had to wait to get to the ship to arrange the date and time and menu.

No, I had to wait until I was onboard. Which makes sense, if they can only do so many a day. We were sailing to Hawaii, and the room service manager helped us pick a time based on predicted weather and seas. We ended up eating in our cabin due to high winds. (We were in the last mini-suite on the starboard side.) One of the best meals we've ever had anywhere.

Thanks...that has always been my experience but I've read a couple of posts claiming to have reserved a time when paying before a cruise & I didn't know if things had changed.

We usually have enough complimentary OBC to pay for the UBD and only prepaid for it once & had to reserve a time on the ship. Based on talking to room service supervisors it's rare to have all available times booked but we always reserve a time when boarding to get our preferred time.

So it sounds like it doesn't really matter if you book ahead of time or when you get on board? So we can wait till next May to book.

The only difference is that some passengers prefer to spread out the cost of their cruise by prepaying for the UBD.

That's not our situation & having no advantage for selecting a time we book it on the ship to pay for it at the end of the cruise or to use complimentary OBC to "pay" for it.

I want to do this on our honeymoon cruise in November to the Mexican Riveria. I'm not sure what times the sunsets are. What would be a good day to do this?

We did one leaving PV. It was one of the best. :)

Bandaras Bay/Dolphins/Sunset!

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The only difference is that some passengers prefer to spread out the cost of their cruise by prepaying for the UBD.

That's not our situation & having no advantage for selecting a time we book it on the ship to pay for it at the end of the cruise or to use complimentary OBC to "pay" for it.

Thanks much. We will wait then, will have OBC to use for it. Really looking forward to this cruise and the UBD!!