Need help getting from JAX to Orlando

SportsMomof4

We are a group of 8 (my family of 6 & 2 friends) cruising out of Port Canaveral on 12/26/14. The flights are outrageously priced to fly from NY to Orlando. So it looks like we will be flying into Jacksonville for less than 1/2 the price. We will be staying in Orlando that night.

Is there a shuttle to take us from JAX to the Orlando area? But then I would need to get to the Port the next day so I would need another shuttle? Or is it best to rent an 8 or 12 passenger van at JAX & return to MCO or Port Canaveral the next day?

Any help would be great!

That is exactly what I would do.

Ditto.

However, is there a specific reason you are spending the night in Orlando?

From Jax, it is a quick maybe 2.5 hour drive down I 95 to the port.

There are lots of decent hotels on the south side of Jax, or at the port area

Going west to Orlando is out of your way. Not a huge deal, but maybe 100 miles and 2 hours or so round trip, depending on what part of town you are going to.

Ditto.

However, is there a specific reason you are spending the night in Orlando?

From Jax, it is a quick maybe 2.5 hour drive down I 95 to the port.

There are lots of decent hotels on the south side of Jax, or at the port area

Going west to Orlando is out of your way. Not a huge deal, but maybe 100 miles and 2 hours or so round trip, depending on what part of town you are going to.

I agree with this........you are only 2-2.5 hours away from the port and it would be a straight shot down I-95.

I would not waste my time going to or staying in Orlando. All of the rental car agencies have locations in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach

I hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

Going from Jax to Orlando is out of your way. It would be better to go from Jax directly to Port Canaveral. This is a 2-3 hour drive.

If you rent a large van in Jax and drive to PC you can stay overnight there before your cruise.

However be aware that renting a van for that many people will not be cheap. Then you'll have to do the same for the return trip.

Unfortunately when I booked the cruise a few months back I found a great deal for 2 rooms at the Residence Inn Orlando & prepaid it :(. So now I am stuck with the 2 rooms & have no choice but to go to Orlando. I didn't think the flights would be over $550 pp to fly to Orlando :eek:. It's only $200 pp to fly to Jax.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately when I booked the cruise a few months back I found a great deal for 2 rooms at the Residence Inn Orlando & prepaid it :(. So now I am stuck with the 2 rooms & have no choice but to go to Orlando. I didn't think the flights would be over $550 pp to fly to Orlando :eek:. It's only $200 pp to fly to Jax.

Orlando is the airport for Disney World, which makes it popular and more expensive.......;)

From Orlando you will only be about 50 min from the Port and it is a straight shot from there. It is a toll road, but it is not bad.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Is your hotel not able to be cancelled? Maybe you can beg for mercy!

Keep checking airfare although at Christmas I doubt it is going to go down. Have you checked the rates for a car rental?

Edited by Marie51

Yes I have looked into rentals. That's another issue. We need a big van & not many rental.ckmpaniea have them. It's about $160 & i would need it going back as well.

I suppose I can try & call about hotel :rolleyes:.

Yes I have looked into rentals. That's another issue. We need a big van & not many rental.ckmpaniea have them. It's about $160 & i would need it going back as well.

I suppose I can try & call about hotel :rolleyes:.

I know....the same thing happened to us. We had a group of 9 and ended up having to rent 2 separate cars.

Call the central reservations center and try and switch your stay to a Marriott in Port Canaveral.

Going to Orlando will cost you in terms of shuttles and time.

Even if you have to eat the price of the rooms in Orlando I would not stay there.

Did you prepay through Marriott? First call the hotel and plead your case nicely...

If that fails, call the toll free number and ask for customer service...plead your case...if that fails, choose a Marriott brand in PC- either the Residence Inn or Courtyard ( that one is in Cocoa Beach) and get a manager on the phone....plead your case. They may go to bat for you with the pre paid hotel.

Lifetime Marriott Platinum and former associate...I never prepay but I have had occasion to leave a hotel in the middle of a rewards stay...and sometimes gentle persistence pays off...

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

Melbourne $600 + pp :eek:. And nothing even offered from NY to Sanford :rolleyes:.

Yikes! That's worse than Orlando!

I agree with BlueHerons that you are wasting time and money going to Orlando just for the hotel. Hope something works out for you and you are somehow able to change to a Marriott property in or near Port Canaveral.

We are a group of 8 (my family of 6 & 2 friends) cruising out of Port Canaveral on 12/26/14. The flights are outrageously priced to fly from NY to Orlando. So it looks like we will be flying into Jacksonville for less than 1/2 the price. We will be staying in Orlando that night.

Is there a shuttle to take us from JAX to the Orlando area? But then I would need to get to the Port the next day so I would need another shuttle? Or is it best to rent an 8 or 12 passenger van at JAX & return to MCO or Port Canaveral the next day?

Any help would be great!

Alamo has the best rate right now on there website, which can be found here:

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/reservation/selectCar.html

Alamo has a 15 passenger van one way from JAX to Cape Canaveral for between $199.00 and $211.00 each way before taxes, fees, and insurance. I would book early, as this is the holidays, and I would confirm the reservation with them by phone several times leading up to, that week and the day/night before. You can plug in your exact dates, but I used Christmas day as the example. The price would be dropping off at Alamo in Cape Canaveral, so you could stay in Orlando or closer to the ship, which gives you an option of not having to worry about a shuttle from Orlando to the ship. You can return the van close by, and probably pick up the van after the cruise to drop back off in JAX. When using a week from 12/26 (1/3-4/2015), the rate is $211 one way before taxes, fees, and/or insurance. You're probably looking at $500 roundtrip total for going and coming, not taking into account gas and tolls (if any). The exact dates and times may change the price, but I would jump on it now, and even maybe find a coupon online to reduce the price.

Hope everything works out with the transportation, and enjoy your cruise!!!!

Please don't let the Port Canaveral marketing program claiming to be part of Orlando mislead ya. A quick look at a map will show ya what I'm talking about. Just make sure your rental vehicle can be turned in at the port or nearby the port. Turning in at an Orlando location will leave ya 50 miles or so from the port.

I hope you enjoy your visit to the Sunshine State! You'll have about a 2.5 hour drive to the port once you leave the JAX airport.

-= Gunner =-