Best Rum Cake

puppet531

Hi folks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get the best rum cakes to bring home? I want to bring back home different varities for my family. I'm reading the ones on the ship are not so good.

We will be doing the Western Caribbean next month. Falmouth Jamaica, Cozumel Mexico, Georgetown Grand Cayman

Thanks. :D

Edited by puppet531

Tortuga Rum cakes are supposedly "the original". We toured the bakery in Cayman Islands, but if you don't happen to be going there, a lot of the souvenir shops sell the cakes as well as there are bakeries on some of the other islands. You can also order them online: http://www.tortugarumcakes.com

Edited by TBone2K

Hi folks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get the best rum cakes to bring home? I want to bring back home different varities for my family. I'm reading the ones on the ship are not so good.

We will be doing the Western Caribbean next month. Falmouth Jamaica, Cozumel Mexico, Georgetown Grand Cayman

The Tortuga cakes from GC are really good, but I think the Rainforest Rum Cakes that you can get in downtown Cozumel are even better! Either way, you can't go wrong. :)

To us, Blackbeards Rum Cakes in Grand Cayman are much better than the Tortuga. Go see Helen in the Blackbeards directly across from the terminal.

Tell her Larry from Florida sent you to sample all of them. You won't be disappointed.

Don't know about any of the rum cake co.'s other than Tortuga and they are pretty good and if you go to their store right in town (down the street and to the left of the tender pier) they do have samples of all of the flavors they currently bake. I personally like the Chocolate and the Coconut the best. If you are picking up more than one or two, they will have them sent to the ship and delivered to your suite for free (at least they used to do this).

Actually, I've bought the small Tortuga Rum Cakes all over the place, including finding some at my local TJ Maxx earlier this year. They last a really long time.

See ya onboard!:D

definitely the Rainforest rum cakes in Downtown Cozumel!! they give you samples and are delish!! plus, they have so many flavors to choose from.....

way way better, fresher and moister than the Tortuga rum cakes.... :)

we bought several to give as Xmas gifts....

Marsha

Years ago I bought rum cakes on either Barbados or ??? They had a little mini shot of sweet rum in a plastic cup in the middle of the cake. You took the cap off and poured it on the cake before you ate it. They were fantastic. Anybody know the brand?

• 1 month later...

I happened to be purchasing a bottle of Domaine de Canton and a 2 lb BlackBeard's Rum Cake at The Rum Stop (on the main street to the right of the tender pier) and was told that if I added another $6 in alcohol I could get the rum cake free, so a $50 purchase must have been required. Good deal, as the rum cake was priced at $20. I chose a seasonal holiday flavor, Spiced Rum and Raisin. It's very good! I will definitely purchase more BlackBeard's cakes.

• 7 months later...

Did you everr tey Tortuga Rum Cakes? They are seriously the best! I always bring them home from my cruise but I just got some online yesterday as well. They are having a sale if you want to check it out. Use code MIXNMATCH2 to take 20% off your order when you buy any two 33 oz rum cakes.

Blackbeard rum cakes in Grand Cayman for sure, when you get off ship, look across and find Margaritaville, well, right there in that little plaza is Blackbeards, when you buy a six pack of them, you can pick out your choice of flavor, a 2 lb rum cake, so that's a bargain ...also there is little liquor store right there, where you can buy Blackbeard rum, the gold and white is real good, i think was 11.00 us they also sell Cruzan rum for 8.00 us .. bargain, and they have the 7 Fathoms rum there, the gold 7 fathoms is 35.00 a bottle .. you can tour 7 fathoms rum company in GC.

the original and the banana flavor is the best ... when we were there, we bought 2-6 packs of Tortugas, and 1 of Blackbeards, we gave alot away for souvenirs .. next trip ... all Blackbeards ... :)

Edited by griz400

• 2 weeks later...
I'd vote for Tortuga Rum Cake from Georgetown.

We bought the largest original flavor rum cake $22 US each, you get a price break since we bought 2 of them saving $2 each. Very tasty, still have some. The instructions say to keep it in the fridge to keep it in good condition. Tastes just as fresh as the samples we had even today as it was bought early August.

They do have more flavors of the Rum cakes than on the cruise ship. If you like Rum,the Tortuga Vanilla Rum was one of the best Rums we have ever tasted.

• 2 weeks later...
tortuga is the best…

its also the most expensive

the packaging is awesome if your giving this as a gift

the taste is great…

eat with a few days, cake will dry up.

it is the #1 export from the cayman islands

the cakes are famous world wide

I still have some, not much, Tortuga Rum Cake left from when we bought it during our August cruise & still tastes fresh. The directions on the box says to keep in the fridge & we still have it in the original box. We also keep the cake itself, covered with plastic wrap. Guess that is how it has stayed fresh for about one month. Will miss it when it is gone which will probably be tomorrow :( .