New article from NYTimes on effects of tourism on Venice

cruisemom42

A topic that has been discussed from time to time here, tourism in Venice continues to be problematic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/opinion/can-we-save-venice-before-its-too-late.html?ref=world&module=Slide&region=SlideShowTopBar&version=SlideCard-1&action=Click&contentCollection=Opinion&slideshowTitle=Our%20Endangered%20Heritage&currentSlide=1&entrySlide=1&pgtype=imageslideshow

Apparently UNESCO has recently put Venice on its "World Heritage in Danger" list.

"everything needs to change so that everything remains the same"

Indeed, predictably the Italian authorities can't refuse the big money offered by the tour operators.

Venice is just the tip of the iceberg.

Carry on cruisin' ! 😀

I've been traveling to Venice since 1984, and the changes even I have seen since then are terrible; take a look at the mystery novels or essays by Donna Leon to get an idea of what it's like to actually live there. My wife and I went back a year ago for four nights, and it was like being on the Main Street at Disneyworld.

And for a really depressing read, there's an article in the 8/21 New York Times Magazine about the condition of Michaelangelo's David at the Accademia in Florence and the inertia of the Italian bureaucracy in safeguarding it. It's long, but skipping to nearly the end will give you a good idea of the problem.

Edited by Langoustine

And for a really depressing read, there's an article in the 8/21 New York Times Magazine about the condition of Michaelangelo's David at the Accademia in Florence and the inertia of the Italian bureaucracy in safeguarding it. It's long, but skipping to nearly the end will give you a good idea of the problem.

Thanks for flagging that fascinating article.

Here's the link for anyone else looking for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/magazine/davids-ankles-how-imperfections-could-bring-down-the-worlds-most-perfect-statue.html?_r=0

I'm sure that we will see similar articles about Cinque Terre in the near future. The disgorging of thousands of cruisers in one day and having the majority of them head to CT will absolutely have negative effects on that beautiful part of Italy. I was in Venice for a long weekend back in 2003. The difference between a day when a ship was there and when a ship was not there was noticeable. Sure, there were still tons of tourists, but something has to give when 2000-4000 people get off a ship and all head to the same small spot on that island...

I'm sure that we will see similar articles about Cinque Terre in the near future. The disgorging of thousands of cruisers in one day and having the majority of them head to CT will absolutely have negative effects on that beautiful part of Italy.

It already has, I regret to say. Being in Vernazza on a day when cruise ship passengers arrive is sometimes just a nightmare. Corniglia, because it's a hike to get there, is marginally better. A land trip, especially in the off-season, is really the best way to see a lot of these places now, IMO.

It already has, I regret to say. Being in Vernazza on a day when cruise ship passengers arrive is sometimes just a nightmare. Corniglia, because it's a hike to get there, is marginally better. A land trip, especially in the off-season, is really the best way to see a lot of these places now, IMO.

"why did we come here? There's nothing here." I can just imagine people going to CT and expecting it to be like the big cities with museums, churches, HoHo busses... I loved my days in CT, staying in Vernazza. The evenings were just so relaxing, the residents very friendly.

Appreciate your posting of this good and challenging article. Sadly, getting Italian politicians to be properly focused on these key issues is not easy. Clearly, it will take "STRONG LEADERSHIP" to get good, smart solutions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 62,488 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226