Currency exchange in Heathrow terminal 3

Thank you very much for quick responses and for the map - I was studying Heatrow myself but could not find a map :(. There are cash mashine signs on the map. The following message pops up "Most cash machines accept UK bank and building society cards without surcharge. They also accept major credit cards." Do you know if USA Bank's issued debit cards are accepted? Your help is greatly appreciated.

10000000000000000 thanks

Irina

Thank you very much for quick responses and for the map - I was studying Heatrow myself but could not find a map :(. There are cash mashine signs on the map. The following message pops up "Most cash machines accept UK bank and building society cards without surcharge. They also accept major credit cards." Do you know if USA Bank's issued debit cards are accepted? Your help is greatly appreciated.

10000000000000000 thanks

Irina

We do not use debit cards but all ATM machines in London accept USA Bank credit cards with no fees.

Provided, of course, they are no fee ATM's.

Edited by orchestrapal

Be careful using a CC to withdraw cash not sure about the US CC but ours here in Canada start charging interest on any cash withdrawals on day one

Use the debit or bank card it may charge a fee or there is a Travelex booth near baggage claim

Edited by LHT28

Beware of using airport ATMs. As far as I know, there are no 'bank' ATMs at LHR anymore, they are all operated by the on-airport foreign exchange firms. They use, or at least offer to use, dynamic currency conversion (ie they will convert your sterling withdrawal to USD at a rate they set, which will carry a big margin, even if they claim commission free). Better off waiting to use an ATM at a bank in town, which will let your card issuer use the interbank rate.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

According to what I read on various forums travellers coming from US and Canada use ATMs to take money out in the country they are in. However, the best rates of exchange I have found is from a company called Thomas Global Exchange. They have various branches around London. We always buy our foreign currency there.

If usung cards make sure you have one that makes no charges for foreign transactions.

I think that for the small amounts that are involved, the rate doesn't matter as much as convenience. Get cash where it's easy - buy any big items (meals, hotels etc.) with a CC.

10000000000000000 thanks

Irina

I have used my Suntrust debit card(United States) in London ATM. You receive pounds, and the machine at the train station, did not charge me a fee. I did have a $5 fee from my bank.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Would anyone know if I will have a problem using my US bank's debit card at ATMs for local cash? Unfortunately, it does not have a chip on it. We will be arriving at Gatwick and then off to London.

Would anyone know if I will have a problem using my US bank's debit card at ATMs for local cash? Unfortunately, it does not have a chip on it. We will be arriving at Gatwick and then off to London.

Chip & Pin won't cause any problems in ATM's. It's only at unmanned ticket booths and at shop POS terminals staffed by the uninformed that you may have problems.

PS. UK ATM's only accept a 4 digit numerical pin. (No letters)

Edited by newport dave