Adults blocking kids view

shipmate13

Is it my imagination or every video I see of sail away parties, the adults are standing right up front blocking little kids from seeing what is going on. Does this really happen? Is this an issue or does it just appear that way. I saw a video of little children trying to see but there was layers of grownups blocking the view. They didn't even have children with them so its not even an excuse. :mad:

Is it my imagination or every video I see of sail away parties, the adults are standing right up front blocking little kids from seeing what is going on. Does this really happen? Is this an issue or does it just appear that way. I saw a video of little children trying to see but there was layers of grownups blocking the view. They didn't even have children with them so its not even an excuse. :mad:

I've never noticed this. They usually invite the kids to come right up front for the shows. And the crowd is moving around (a lot) so the view changes all the time. That's one reason they put the show up on the big screen right behind the stage.

We usually watch the show from the area behind where most of the action is going on or up one deck, looking down.

:)

On our first cruise, I stayed with my 4 year old up front but kneeled down. Sorry, I refused to leave me young child alone. He is now 9, so I let him move up and I go back behind the crowd. It didn't bother me to see adults up front, they paid for a cruise too.

Without getting offensive, I did not say that it was wrong that adults were standing in the thick of it up front while the sail away party was going on especially when their kids were there with them. However, I did say that I noticed on a youtube video that some very small children who were trying to see what was going on because they were not on deck above, were being blocked by adults who were in front of them video taping. yes, they did pay for their cruise I agree, gee, sorry.

Without getting offensive, I did not say that it was wrong that adults were standing in the thick of it up front while the sail away party was going on especially when their kids were there with them. However, I did say that I noticed on a youtube video that some very small children who were trying to see what was going on because they were not on deck above, were being blocked by adults who were in front of them video taping. yes, they did pay for their cruise I agree, gee, sorry.

hug.gif It's OK. The wording in your original post made it sound like you were complaining about it. Posts make it hard to discern what sort of attitude the comment was posted with.

It ain't just cruise that kind of thing can happen. When my kids were little I'd always encourage them to tap a leg or squeeze up front. Rarely did I find any issue, but just a turn around look down and smile and a parting way for my kids.

When my kids were even smaller I'd just put them on my shoulder for the best views, these days their size and my back make that a less attractive alternative.

It ain't just cruise that kind of thing can happen. When my kids were little I'd always encourage them to tap a leg or squeeze up front. Rarely did I find any issue, but just a turn around look down and smile and a parting way for my kids.

When my kids were even smaller I'd just put them on my shoulder for the best views, these days their size and my back make that a less attractive alternative.

I know how that feels. My little one is now 6'-2" and 180 lbs so his shoulder days are long over though he sometimes asks.

At Disneyland, we have a specific place from which to watch Fantasmic that is right behind a planter. Just before the show starts, I look around and see if there are any little kids around that want to stand on the planter, failing that, short adults whos heads I can see over. It just makes sense to organize like that. It's also fun to listen to someone seeing it for the first time, especially a kid.

and at WDW DD and i are always trying to figure out who we shouldn't stand behind - the last minute whip the kid up on the shoulder people :eek:

it's happened to us so many times - here we thought we had the perfect spot - where i could actually see (she's taller than me, so has a better chance), and then the lights go down and whooosh - the person in front of us lifts their kid overhead and we're suddenly looking at a wall of backs without a chance of seeing even a speck of fireworks.

Very frustrating.

We try our best to stand behind adult only groups now. But then up comes the last minute squeeze between lifters :eek:

i wish WDW had a nice place like the gallery to watch from. no fighting for position and no one able to pop in front of you at the last minute.

and at WDW DD and i are always trying to figure out who we shouldn't stand behind - the last minute whip the kid up on the shoulder people :eek:

it's happened to us so many times - here we thought we had the perfect spot - where i could actually see (she's taller than me, so has a better chance), and then the lights go down and whooosh - the person in front of us lifts their kid overhead and we're suddenly looking at a wall of backs without a chance of seeing even a speck of fireworks.

Very frustrating.

We try our best to stand behind adult only groups now. But then up comes the last minute squeeze between lifters :eek:

i wish WDW had a nice place like the gallery to watch from. no fighting for position and no one able to pop in front of you at the last minute.

Consider the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party. It's relatively expensive but you get dessert and drinks, a place to sit while you wait and one-deep standing at the rail when the fireworks start.

Consider the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party. It's relatively expensive but you get dessert and drinks, a place to sit while you wait and one-deep standing at the rail when the fireworks start.

yes, i'm familiar with it, but you still get the jockeying for position there.

it's not like what they have at disneyland (or used to have - i haven't been there in a few years).

At the gallery you have a set seat and that's it. No one can move in front of you. And you're sitting down during the entire show, the fireworks and fantasmic (although i think they've changed the fireworks now, so it might not work for that, only for fantasmic).

Anyway, it was the best, most comfortable view we've ever had. We didn't even eat or drink anything, but the seats were worth every penny (there was food/drink but we didn't want anything).

i can't remember how much it cost - maybe $60/person? or maybe $90?

whatever it was, i would have paid double for those seats.

hug.gif It's OK. The wording in your original post made it sound like you were complaining about it. Posts make it hard to discern what sort of attitude the comment was posted with.

Yep, the wording threw me off too, that and the grumpy face at the end of it.

My gripe is the rude parents that put their kids up on their shoulders so the kids can see...........except that no one else behind them can see!!! Hello people!! We all want to see! :eek:

We were at Magic Kingdom one time and found a front row spot for the fireworks. We were there an hour before hand. What do you think happened? Just before the fireworks started this family comes up and STANDS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US! There was a family next to us that had been there early as well - we were all shocked. The rude people completely ignored our looks and comments - guess they thought they were entitled to a last minute front row view!!

My gripe is the rude parents that put their kids up on their shoulders so the kids can see...........except that no one else behind them can see!!! Hello people!! We all want to see! :eek:

We were at Magic Kingdom one time and found a front row spot for the fireworks. We were there an hour before hand. What do you think happened? Just before the fireworks started this family comes up and STANDS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US! There was a family next to us that had been there early as well - we were all shocked. The rude people completely ignored our looks and comments - guess they thought they were entitled to a last minute front row view!!

but they are entitled, don't you know????

and to stand in front of you at the parade too - even though you've been waiting there for 3 hours and they came up at the last minute, no matter...

it's their right to stand in front of you.

I can't believe you don't know that by now!!!!!

has to be the most unpleasant part of visiting WDW....

i pretty much have given up on ever watching the parades...i can't deal with it....

I don't mind letting kids step in front of me to be able to see at parades, but their parents better not think they are going to as well. Trust me, your darling snowflake isn't going to melt away if he or she is 18" from you where you can clearly see them.

but they are entitled, don't you know????

and to stand in front of you at the parade too - even though you've been waiting there for 3 hours and they came up at the last minute, no matter...

it's their right to stand in front of you.

I can't believe you don't know that by now!!!!!

has to be the most unpleasant part of visiting WDW....

i pretty much have given up on ever watching the parades...i can't deal with it....

Me too.....

• 2 weeks later...

I was a little miffed when the last night of our cruise at the CYA Real Soon show, a man stepped in front of my son so he could record the show. So i proceeded to walk up to my son (i was fruther back behind all of the kids) and direct him on how to get back in front of that kind gentleman.

Sure there are adults all over, typically with their children. We are with our daughter during sailaway because it's a family event for us... we LOVE sailaway! It just like being in Disney World, there are those that come at the last minute and expect their little darlings to get front row seats... doesn't work that way.

We watch sailaway from Deck 10 so we can look down and see it. But as crowded as it gets, I cannot imagine turning a young child loose up front and all adults move to the back. A) most parents wouldn't leave their young children alone like that in a large crowd, B) it's a time for family to celebrate together. I do think that most parents are considerate of other children though......

• 1 year later...

I saw the same thing on our cruise during sail away and the pirate show. I just could not understand why the cruise director could not just make an announcement asking everyone to sit down on the ground so people can see. But for some reason during the Buccaneers party, everyone in front of the stage did sit down and I don't think anyone had a problem seeing. I don't know if there was an announcement that I missed or they just did in on their own, but it was great. :)

Your best view is often one deck above the stage. For example, on the Magic and Wonder, go to deck 10. You'll be able to get a spot at the railing and the kids can see everything.

On the same deck as the stage, reality is that most people can't see it. That's why it is on the "Dumbo-tron" (sorry, DCL calls that Ariel view) screen.

I also have given up watching parades. On our first WDW trip with a four and one year old we waited up front and at the last minute had a big group jump ahead.

I am short 5ft, so if I am not upfront I cannot see anything. On our last cruise we had a new problem IPADS being held overhead so it is only going to get worse.

I also have given up watching parades. On our first WDW trip with a four and one year old we waited up front and at the last minute had a big group jump ahead.

I am short 5ft, so if I am not upfront I cannot see anything. On our last cruise we had a new problem IPADS being held overhead so it is only going to get worse.

I have to agree about the parades in WDW. We now search out a corner of the taped off areas where we huddle balanced on the lines like discarded orphans to ensure a view of the parade. There are some very selfish "parents" who feel that since they paid for something that they will get what they paid. It happens on other cruise lines such as RCL where the Shrek parade(s) adults line up behind the roped off areas and little kids are stuck behind. Sometimes check out the old news reels showing the Macy's Parade and how many kids are sitting on their dad's shoulders trying to see. I guess it is across generations and teaches us to be an early bird (with sharp elbows)......;):D

The best view I ever had of fireworks and parades at the parks was on a trip with a friend who needs a wheelchair. They allow immediate family into the chair area (there were only the two of us.) At the parks the areas are reserved, monitored by a CM, and are excellent. On the ships there is a monitored wheelchair area, but the view is just "so-so." About all that is accomplished is that other people can't trample those in chairs.

The other great time was when there was a huge rain and the fireworks were delayed. The sky cleared and the display took place...but by then most guests had given up--great for those who stuck it out.

Archived