Delta Airlines Baggage Fee

dyin2cruise

Has anyone flown Delta airlines recently? Does anyone know what the current allowance and fees are?

After reading a post on here I started thinking about my checked bags for my cruise in 26days, I have not pulled up their website yet to take a look, thought I would ask here since I was already reading some threads.

Thank you,

For the most uptodate and accurate information it's always best to go straight to the horse's mouth i.e. Delta's website.

In see you are located in Canada, whereas the vast majority of CC members will be from other countries where different rules / allowances could apply.

Ron

Looks like $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second, each way: http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/checked/index.jsp

Typical 50 lb., after that the fees skyrocket.

If this is true, then they've reduced the rates. They were charging $50 for the second checked bag when we flew to and from Barcelona last month. We were allowed one carry on and one checked at no charge. In 2009 we were allowed two checked bags :-(

Overweight bags will kill your wallet. Don't let that happen.:(

International rates are different than domestic. OP seems to be flying domestically.

OP- It is possible to pack in a 22" carryon and a tote/backpack for a 7 day cruise and a few days beforehand. Mix & match your clothes, limit your shoe choices, etc. The Valor has self-serve laundry or you can use the ships laundry for your clothes. (Just don't send out anything delicate, only jeans/dockers, tshirts, underwear, etc.) You can wear the same thing two three times. Febreze is your friend. Check the Fashion board for more info on how to pack light.

International rates are different than domestic. OP seems to be flying domestically.

Yes, and apparently the fees have GONE UP AGAIN FOR INTERNATIONAL:

For travel between the United States or Canada and Europe:

• First checked bag: No fee applies
  • Second checked bag: 60 USD/CAD/EUR* if checked in online or 75 USD/CAD/EUR* at the airport

It was really tough to stay within one carry on and one checked bag to and from Europe and some friends ended up paying for the extra bag on the return flight.

IF you have Delta's AMEX card the first one is free up to 50lbs. for everyone in your family. If you fly up front, they are all free including over 50lbs.

I don't have Delta's AMEX and I still got the first one up to 50 lbs free for each person going. I was back in economy, not up front.

For International flights...

###

I see that now. I would be steamed if I had to pay $25 for the first bag. I'm spoiled to get my first check bag free by the "discount airline".

Guess I'm lucky I even got the first bag. Of course, when you are paying $1200 for a round trip, it seems the least they can do.:cool:

Yes, and apparently the fees have GONE UP AGAIN FOR INTERNATIONAL:

For travel between the United States or Canada and Europe:

• First checked bag: No fee applies
  • Second checked bag: 60 USD/CAD/EUR* if checked in online or 75 USD/CAD/EUR* at the airport

It was really tough to stay within one carry on and one checked bag to and from Europe and some friends ended up paying for the extra bag on the return flight.

Last month United was $50 for the second bag to Italy paid at the airport. PITA that the amount charged isn't at an exchange rate. Much more expensive flying to North America than to Europe with that second bag.

Last month United was $50 for the second bag to Italy paid at the airport. PITA that the amount charged isn't at an exchange rate. Much more expensive flying to North America than to Europe with that second bag.

Delta was $50 for the second bag last month. I know because I flew to Barcelona and back and squeaked by with my carryon and 1 checked (for free).

I don't have Delta's AMEX and I still got the first one up to 50 lbs free for each person going. I was back in economy, not up front.

You got the first bag free because you flew to Barcelona. In the US it is $25 for the first bag and $32 for the second as long as you check in online. If you do it at the airport they charge more.

Thank you for all of the info. One thing I did find out today is that they charge the fees again for your return flight, its very irritating. I think I have it worked out so that the hubby and I will each check 1 bag and still have room to bring home gifts for our daughters.

Thank you for all of the info. One thing I did find out today is that they charge the fees again for your return flight, its very irritating. I think I have it worked out so that the hubby and I will each check 1 bag and still have room to bring home gifts for our daughters.

Yes, the fees are each way.

Good luck with all of this.

Keith

Archived