Navigator of the Seas July 19-July26

You wouldn't see shorts in the Celibrity MDR. How 'bout a little class?

And that is why I don't cruise on Celibrity.

Serioulsy, why does anyone care what is worn in the MDR when it's not formal night? I can understand no cutoffs or tank tops. But nice shorts and a nice shirt is no classy enough for you?

It amazes me of how judgmental people can be.

You wouldn't see shorts in the Celibrity MDR. How 'bout a little class?

What on earth was your point with this post? Are we on a Celebrity board and I didn't realize it? I've sailed Celebrity...it's a cruise line just like all the rest. Guess I better not sail Celebrity again...they apparently are way too classy for the likes of me.

Thanks though for assuming people who prefer shorts have no class. I guess those who frequent country clubs have no class...you know...because of the women and men who golf wear golf shorts?

I guess I forgot to put my Classy Pants on before I posted. :rolleyes:

You do not see shorts in the better restaurants in Dallas such as Del Frisco, Ruth Chris and 3 Forks. Chilis and Outback yes.

True. But I do not consider the MDR at the same level as Ruth Chris, 3 Forks, etc. Perhaps on formal nights, but otherwise. It's a nice place to eat & socialize.

The shorts at dinner is definitely a change for the Navigator. We were on her in March and the no shorts sign was right in front and folks were being turned away. Maybe they changed it for the summer time cruises.

Doesn't matter to me but for those who would like to wear shorts I guess it would be nice if there was consistency.

I had read about this in early March as well, but I was surprised when we were onboard the last week in March and saw plenty of people in the MDR in shorts and t-shirts. It just shows the level of enforcement of the dress code can even change week to week.

For some reason, this particular cruise is always less "formal" than others I've taken. I've sailed out of Galveston three times and it just always seems to be a much more casual environment than other RCCI cruises.

This will make the men we are traveling with thrilled.

Re: the reason..... Because it's sailing from TEXAS!! We're a much more relaxed "group" of people.... Nice too! We have sailed Navi twice since her refurb.... But no shorts were allowed on those sailings... So excited for you "guys" that things have been relaxed! We sail on her again in Sept!!

Edited by SRV FAN

We were on the Navigator last November, and my husband was turned away on the first night for shorts. He was wearing nice golf shirt and shorts. Always thought they were lenient especially on the first night. You just never know...

I am looking forward to our October Navigator cruise. Thank you for your review, and I am sorry this thread seems to have gone on a tangent.. a few times... it happens from time to time.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I came here to read about the Navigator, as it will be our first Royal cruise. I can hardly wait.

I am looking forward to our October Navigator cruise. Thank you for your review, and I am sorry this thread seems to have gone on a tangent.. a few times... it happens from time to time.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I came here to read about the Navigator, as it will be our first Royal cruise. I can hardly wait.

Thank you very much. I am glad that you understood that I was trying to give my opinion of our cruise. You will enjoy the ship, the food, the entertainment, etc.

Let me expand upon my review about the ship and hopefully those that go on a "tangent" at the drop of a hat will be asleep....

I forgot to mention how great the flowrider was. Ya'll need to try it at least once and you will be hooked no matter your age.

My 14 year old son used the ship's internet plan and loved it as he was able to imessage, facetime, snapchat and instagram with no problems. ($20 per day.)

Most of the smokers stayed within the areas that are allowed and those that did not, complied when asked to by a RCCL crew member.

The pool staff removed any towels and articles that were left unattended by the chair hogs in the main pools area after 30-45 minutes.

If you are going on a Beach excursion, most people got their towels the night before to avoid having to check-out towels at the gangway the day of their excursion. (Before everyone complains, this hint has been listed many times previously here on CC.)

Make sure that you experience the $10 sale in the Royal Promenade. It was fun to watch people go wild (think super Black Friday sale).

On Formal night, there were very few men wearing suits or tuxes. Most wore a long sleeve shirt and tie with/without a coat. A lot of men just wore a nice shirt and khakis. The women wore a nice dress or pant suit. A few wore fancy dresses.

You might want to avoid the "R Bar" each night after 10:00 p.m. unless you want a surprise.

The variety of music options were very good at the various clubs and bars even though people have bashed some of the bands here on CC.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy yourself. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

What happens after 10:00 in the R Bar?

I was wondering the same thing.... the tequila bar below is playing music, but it's not that big a deal.

I was on Freedom in mid-June and the R Bar was our regular meeting place for a couple hours after late dinner and before hitting the nightclub.

He didn't lump everyone...he said "When someone was rude...", he asked where they were from. And all of those particular rude people said other than Texas. How is that lumping everyone? The person was already being rude when he asked...so they themselves proved his line of thinking.

Not sure why you took it so personally...you weren't the rude person on the elevator.

Admit it, his attitude is pompous

I see you are from AZ, native or transplant?

Edited by John&LaLa

Billy10 I am sorry that you did not understand my post. I only encountered 6 or 7 people who were rude out of 3800 people on the ship. They happened to be from outside of Texas. This is not "lumping", it just happened to be true. As we say in Texas, "Don't get your panties in a wad" (translation: To become overwrought or unnecessarily upset over a trivial matter.) Relax and enjoy your vacation on the Navigator.

BOBO, first off thank you for your review. I travel to TX a lot and you are great folk. However, your initial post led me to believe there were a lot of rude non Texans on board. This post paints a slightly different picture. I guess my point is .1842 % of the people acting rudely is hardly worth mentioning.

As always YMMV

No sign was posted. I just asked the Head Waiter and she said that since everyone was on vacation and were relaxing, they now allow shorts in the Main Dining Room except for the two Formal Nights. Those that wore shorts wore cargo shorts, flat front shorts, etc. The shorts were not athletic type. I would estimate that at least 1/3 of the males and 1/4 of the females wore shorts to supper.

Shorts -- OK, muscle shirts -- please not while I'm eating. don't need to see some guy's hairy armpit.

What happens after 10:00 in the R Bar?

There is a passenger bulletin board on deck 5 in the promenade that passengers can list events on cards for others to see and know about such as "meet and greet", etc.

Everyday there was card listing a "LGBT get-together" at the "R Bar" at 10:00 p.m.

Out of curiosity I went to see what was going on there. Unless you are LGBT, I would suggest that you find another bar during that time period as some people will be offended and some, of course will not be offended at the bar games being played there, dancing, etc. The choice is yours.

Admit it, his attitude is pompous

I see you are from AZ, native or transplant?

Born in Michigan, moved to Texas at age 9, moved to Arizona at age 12, moved back to Texas at age 22 after I was married, moved back to Arizona (and to finally stay) at 35.

So I'm a two time transplant. But I intend on staying this time...it's always been "home" to me because I spent the better part of my "growing up" years here. I loved Texas when I was there...loved the people...but I probably wouldn't live there again. The weather is too unpredictable.

There is a passenger bulletin board on deck 5 in the promenade that passengers can list events on cards for others to see and know about such as "meet and greet", etc.

Everyday there was card listing a "LGBT get-together" at the "R Bar" at 10:00 p.m.

Out of curiosity I went to see what was going on there. Unless you are LGBT, I would suggest that you find another bar during that time period as some people will be offended and some, of course will not be offended at the bar games being played there, dancing, etc. The choice is yours.

So just because there was ONE person on your cruise that organized such an event, the R Bar is to be thought of as a "surprising" place forevermore? :rolleyes:

So just because there was ONE person on your cruise that organized such an event, the R Bar is to be thought of as a "surprising" place forevermore? :rolleyes:

This event occurred there each night of the cruise. It was not a one person/one time event. The card stated every night at 10:00 p.m. not just one night. There were at least 40 people playing some weird bar games there the night I went by out of curiosity around 11:00 p.m.

One of the bars each night had country music, another had DJ, etc. It so happened that the "R Bar" is an alternative lifestyle bar on the Navigator. I am glad that everyone has different venues to choose and enjoy of their own choosing.

I still don't know what is going on at R Bar at 10pm??? Can somebody be more specific?

This event occurred there each night of the cruise. It was not a one person/one time event. The card stated every night at 10:00 p.m. not just one night. There were at least 40 people playing some weird bar games there the night I went by out of curiosity around 11:00 p.m.

One of the bars each night had country music, another had DJ, etc. It so happened that the "R Bar" is an alternative lifestyle bar on the Navigator. I am glad that everyone has different venues to choose and enjoy of their own choosing.

My point is that this was a PASSENGER-INITIATED event. It was specific to YOUR WEEK OF THE CRUISE, it is not something that the cruise line sets up every single week to happen in that venue at that time.

If you had been there the week before or the week after, chances are that NOTHING would have been going on in the R Bar.

Anyone can put up one of those bulletin board cards... that's the whole point of the bulletin board system -- so that like-minded individuals can find each other and enjoy spending time together. Sometimes people set up chess games, sometimes they set up card games, sometimes they set up book clubs, sometimes they set up "Friends of Bill" meetings (Alcoholics Anonymous).... it could be ANYthing at ANY time in ANY location.

The cruise line sponsored events are listed in the Cruise Compass every day with the time and location listed. Anything else is passenger-driven. So unless the person who initiated those meet-ups in the R bar is on a perpetual B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B cruise on that ship, warning people off from the "scary" R Bar activities is totally pointless.

I still don't know what is going on at R Bar at 10pm??? Can somebody be more specific?

There were scary gay people :eek: there having scary fun. :eek:

Given that Security personnel patrol the area quite regularly, I'm thinking that the activities weren't all that different from what one might see anywhere that groups of convivial people are gathered in the presence of alcohol. :rolleyes:

Edited by brillohead