Navigator of the Seas July 19-July26

Just off today 8/2. In the compass it also list dinner room attire as casual (no beach attire or bare feet) every night except the two formal nights. Before when we cruised in March it stated smart casual (no shorts). So it looks like the change is for good. Packing just got easier. Also we docked today at 7:15 and I was in my car out of Galveston at 7:22. Fastest ever to get off.

It took me years to figure out why Bill had so many friends

And Dorothy is a popular gal, too! :D

For those not "in the know", the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous was known as "Bill W." and so talking about a gathering of "friends of Bill W." is code for talking about an AA meeting. Similarly, "friends of Dorothy" is code for gay/lesbian.

More info in this Cruise Critic Article on the subject.

And Dorothy is a popular gal, too! :D

For those not "in the know", the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous was known as "Bill W." and so talking about a gathering of "friends of Bill W." is code for talking about an AA meeting. Similarly, "friends of Dorothy" is code for gay/lesbian.

More info in this Cruise Critic Article on the subject.

Gee, I always figured friends of Dorothy was AA for women.

Now I know the rest of the story

This event occurred there each night of the cruise. It was not a one person/one time event. The card stated every night at 10:00 p.m. not just one night. There were at least 40 people playing some weird bar games there the night I went by out of curiosity around 11:00 p.m.

One of the bars each night had country music, another had DJ, etc. It so happened that the "R Bar" is an alternative lifestyle bar on the Navigator. I am glad that everyone has different venues to choose and enjoy of their own choosing.

On one cruise an event at same time same place doesn't make it a RCCL event but a choice by few individuals for a get together. Who cares other than you.

Thank you very much. I am glad that you understood that I was trying to give my opinion of our cruise. You will enjoy the ship, the food, the entertainment, etc.

Let me expand upon my review about the ship and hopefully those that go on a "tangent" at the drop of a hat will be asleep....

I forgot to mention how great the flowrider was. Ya'll need to try it at least once and you will be hooked no matter your age.

My 14 year old son used the ship's internet plan and loved it as he was able to imessage, facetime, snapchat and instagram with no problems. ($20 per day.)

Most of the smokers stayed within the areas that are allowed and those that did not, complied when asked to by a RCCL crew member.

The pool staff removed any towels and articles that were left unattended by the chair hogs in the main pools area after 30-45 minutes.

If you are going on a Beach excursion, most people got their towels the night before to avoid having to check-out towels at the gangway the day of their excursion. (Before everyone complains, this hint has been listed many times previously here on CC.)

Make sure that you experience the $10 sale in the Royal Promenade. It was fun to watch people go wild (think super Black Friday sale).

On Formal night, there were very few men wearing suits or tuxes. Most wore a long sleeve shirt and tie with/without a coat. A lot of men just wore a nice shirt and khakis. The women wore a nice dress or pant suit. A few wore fancy dresses.

You might want to avoid the "R Bar" each night after 10:00 p.m. unless you want a surprise.

The variety of music options were very good at the various clubs and bars even though people have bashed some of the bands here on CC.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy yourself. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thank you, for a second there, I forgot that this was a review.

Gee, I always figured friends of Dorothy was AA for women.

Now I know the rest of the story

LOL! That would be quite a surprise to go to that meeting expecting AA.

BTW, there is another group called "Friends of Lois". Lois W. was Bill W's wife and she started Al-Anon, which is a support group for friends and family members of alcoholics. I don't believe they have meetings on the ships, though.

My point is that this was a PASSENGER-INITIATED event. It was specific to YOUR WEEK OF THE CRUISE, it is not something that the cruise line sets up every single week to happen in that venue at that time.

If you had been there the week before or the week after, chances are that NOTHING would have been going on in the R Bar.

Anyone can put up one of those bulletin board cards... .

This may not be true. On Carnival, the LGBT nights are standard on every cruise. They are called Friends of Dorothy events.

This may not be true. On Carnival, the LGBT nights are standard on every cruise. They are called Friends of Dorothy events.

Except for the fact that the OP specifically stated that this was on the PASSENGER BULLETIN BOARD area... but thanks for playing. :rolleyes:

I've been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises in the past 10 months and saw shorts in the dining room every non-formal night - and even once on formal night. I saw jeans and t shirts on formal night as well. I personally wouldn't do it, but it doesn't bother me...

The Friends of Dorothy term has given way to LGBT today. I guess it's no longer necessary to be hidden and "secret", which is good. On recent cruises the events are simply listed in the Compass as LGBT Get Together.

Well I hope when I take the Navigator out of Ft. Lauderdale in November there are a lot of Texans onboard to compensate for all of us from Florida & northeast because we are all very rude. Just the fact that you lump everyone who is not from Texas as rude is very RUDE

although i'm late the party , I have to agree with you Billy10! perish the though i'm from NewYork! I must be the rudest of all lol. BTW i'm also going on Navigator in November. Nov. 14th! :D

although i'm late the party , I have to agree with you Billy10! perish the though i'm from NewYork! I must be the rudest of all lol. BTW i'm also going on Navigator in November. Nov. 14th! :D

Upon reading your post, I can see that your NY grammar school education has served you real well and you don't understand my original post at all.

I hope you and Billy10 have a great time together on your cruise in November.

As you say, "perish the though". I in turn, "cherish" the "thought" that ya'll will be able to hang out together in the "R Bar" and you won't (as you say) "late the party".

Hopefully, his cabin "matey" won't be jealous.....

By the way, the "R Bar" is the "RRRRternative Bar" (as a pirate would say).

Upon reading your post, I can see that your NY grammar school education has served you real well and you don't understand my original post at all.

I hope you and Billy10 have a great time together on your cruise in November.

As you say, "perish the though". I in turn, "cherish" the "thought" that ya'll will be able to hang out together in the "R Bar" and you won't (as you say) "late the party".

Hopefully, his cabin "matey" won't be jealous.....

By the way, the "R Bar" is the "RRRRternative Bar" (as a pirate would say).

OOOHHH so I had grammatical mistakes. Call the police! when typing on a cell that tends to happen, I'm not so anal that I have to go back and fix everything. you're really showing your Texan roots from the gay joke you tried to reference btwn Billy10 and I.. But then again i'm female, he's male so how's that working out for you? You come on here and you talk about how Texans are nicer etc, but then when I throw a joke in there, and a lil bit of sarcasm on my post, you jump down my throat. Can't take a joke? hop off my post and CC.

OOOHHH so I had grammatical mistakes. Call the police! when typing on a cell that tends to happen, I'm not so anal that I have to go back and fix everything. you're really showing your Texan roots from the gay joke you tried to reference btwn Billy10 and I.. But then again i'm female, he's male so how's that working out for you? You come on here and you talk about how Texans are nicer etc, but then when I throw a joke in there, and a lil bit of sarcasm on my post, you jump down my throat. Can't take a joke? hop off my post and CC.

Chill out. You are the one who can't seem to take a joke in regards to the above reference.

As I previously mentioned to Billy10, "Don't get your panties in a wad". This applies to you also since you don't seem to have a sense of humor.

(You are the one who trolled my thread and had to comment. No one forced you to do so.)

As for you "typing on a cell phone", it must be hard for you to do so while you are driving a NYC taxi at the same time and typing/texting.

Chill out and read about all of the good things that were said to inform you about the Navigator that I mentioned in my posts.

Have a good time on the Navigator as it is really a fun ship.

And remember, "If you can't cut the mustard, you can't eat the hot dog."

• 3 weeks later...
Chill out. You are the one who can't seem to take a joke in regards to the above reference.

As I previously mentioned to Billy10, "Don't get your panties in a wad". This applies to you also since you don't seem to have a sense of humor.

(You are the one who trolled my thread and had to comment. No one forced you to do so.)

As for you "typing on a cell phone", it must be hard for you to do so while you are driving a NYC taxi at the same time and typing/texting.

Chill out and read about all of the good things that were said to inform you about the Navigator that I mentioned in my posts.

Have a good time on the Navigator as it is really a fun ship.

And remember, "If you can't cut the mustard, you can't eat the hot dog."

Hey BOBO:

I went to NYC and guess what? I remember having a NYC taxi driver named "Stephluva". And yes she was texting while driving our fare. Had to tell her 3 times to stop. Could it be the same???? Small world, huh? LOL

We sailed the Navigator in June and did not see shorts at dinner in the MDR. Jeans, yes, but not shorts. And yes, Texans were great!! Had lunch in the MDR one sea day with a delightful foursome of Texas seniors.

We sailed the Navigator in June and did not see shorts at dinner in the MDR. Jeans, yes, but not shorts. And yes, Texans were great!! Had lunch in the MDR one sea day with a delightful foursome of Texas seniors.

In August (just came back), on non-formal nights, I'd say 20% of the men and 10% of the women were in shorts. Lots and lots of flip-flops. I personally wouldn't do it, but it didn't spoil my enjoyment. (Saw lots of backwards caps and t-shirts too).

The Friends of Dorothy term has given way to LGBT today. I guess it's no longer necessary to be hidden and "secret", which is good. On recent cruises the events are simply listed in the Compass as LGBT Get Together.

I've not read backwards through all the posts, so forgive me if I'm being repetitive. I'm not in the target demographic, so to speak, but here's what I saw on NOV last week.

The community bulletin board (by the front desk) had a few postings for special events. Friends of Bill, Friends of Dorothy and (horror of horrors) a knitting group. Also an "informal game playing" group. In past cruises I've done, the Friends of Bill meetings have actually been in the Cruise Compass (or equivalent) but not this time. One night, there was, in the Cruise Compass an "LGBT Informal Gathering" at one of the bars. It was all so low key and such a non-issue that I sure hope no one would be remotely bent out of shape by any of it. On a ship with 3800 passengers, I would have expected more groupings and meetings, if anything.