Bed bugs

Interesting. There have also been people that were NOT moved even though they had significant issues with their cabins. It sounds like there's no definitive answer.

It depends on the issue. What some might consider "significant issues", might not be so significant to the cruiseline.

Of course.

Biker, who really has to find a sarcastic font.

Let me know when you find one. I could really use it, too. :D

Since getting bedbugs in your luggage generally happens when it is around infested luggage, has anyone put their luggage in a large plastic bag before checking it or leaving it somewhere? Besides the room checking mentioned already, what would be some other ways of keeping your luggage safe from infestation?

Let me know when you find one. I could really use it, too. :D

Since getting bedbugs in your luggage generally happens when it is around infested luggage, has anyone put their luggage in a large plastic bag before checking it or leaving it somewhere? Besides the room checking mentioned already, what would be some other ways of keeping your luggage safe from infestation?

People keep talking about luggage mixing together, which can happen but then you're likely only moving a bug or two into your room and they need a little time to feed on you and multiply. The more common scenario is that the previous guest brought them to the room in their luggage and the bugs are there waiting for you.

There's no doubt getting them in your house is a nightmare. That said we spend 40-50 nights a year in hotels and cruise ships and have never seen one. We look around when we check in and that's it. Not gonna' stress out a vacation hauling plastic bags and essential oils and pine scent...........................

I had them at my home about nine months ago. It took two treatments and a total of $1,200 to finally get rid of them. I did learn a few things about them, though. They can live up to or beyond a year without eating (They only eat blood from us.). They can travel as far as the length of a football field in one day. So, don't think you can move to another room nearby and escape them. They are most active at night when we are asleep and are attracted by the carbon dioxide that we breathe out. You cannot feel them when they bite you since their bite has a numbing effect on our skin. They do like to hide out in the folds of mattresses and linens, the backside of headboards, wall sockets, behind pictures and decorations on the walls, and in the binding of books.

If you see a live one, you can spray it with straight 91% rubbing alcohol and it will kill it almost instantly (This also works on most other bugs.). If, when inspecting the bed/mattress for bugs, you find the eggs, the alcohol will not work on them. I think only a heat treatment will kill those (I'm not sure if a hairdryer on high directed at the eggs will be effective on those or not.). The professional treatment consists of bringing in large heaters and fans throughout the areas affected. They then heat those areas up to around 135 degrees and leave it at the temperature for about 3-4 hours. As someone already mentioned, clothing and bedding can be placed in the dryer on the highest setting for about 30 min. and that should kill anything on those items.

Now, I doubt that the cruise line will do any kind of treatment like that, but if they do regular inspections and train their stewards to be vigilant, they can keep infestations to a minimum and at least keep them from getting out of hand.

I know the stewards and housekeeping staff work hard and I hate to come in and destroy the pretty room that they prepare for us, but I do NOT want to bring any bed bugs home with me and go through another infestation and treatment! I'm bringing my flashlight and alcohol with me.

An officer arrived in minutes. You say "bed bug" and they don't play! All our belongings were taken for inspection & sterilization.

Think about it: A bunch of people here are saying that bed bugs are very expensive to get rid of ... imagine if you had them in not just your bedroom but in 30 bedrooms. I see why the ship would take them seriously.

...For a while we were really vigilant about him changing clothes when he got home every day, but that was impossible to sustain...

I've had to ask my spouse to read this post because he thinks I go overboard with trying to "protect" the house. I also ask for him to change out of work clothes and now since reading your comment he's like "see".

If you don't mind sharing why was it impossible to sustain the changing clothes everyday and what alternative did you guys come up with to ensure your home is as safe as possible.

(sorry this is kind of off topic but can't send a PM here)

Thanks

Bring back DDT!!! They were eradicated in the U.S. We banned DDT, they were brought back through immigration and travel, and now we have a problem that has grown exponentially in a very short period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on the issue. What some might consider "significant issues", might not be so significant to the cruiseline.

Oh I agree. I just find it hard to believe that cruise ships routinely sail with empty rooms. See post #49 above. They had bedbugs, requested another room, and were not given one.