Airport security returning home to the u.s.

Mura

How I have missed that broken English! 👍😂

Too bad that you do not understand, but I am sure most people will. Guess you need some English lesions. Are you really from NY or you are just fake news?

RJB, I think you very much misunderstood MarkieMark's post.

It's not that HawaiiDan has broken English ... but his typing can be very hard to translate! I have had a problem myself sometimes "translating" what he wrote. That doesn't mean I can't figure it out!

That is NOT a criticism of HD because he isn't alone ... And even super-typists can make these kinds of mistakes. I will miss his input if he truly is bailing out of this list.

Mura

Amigos. my last words having worked in the highest levels of counter-terrorism...

European security for the most part is so pathetic, except for Israel and Switzerland , and governed by political correct governs that it is frightening. The PR is everything is hunky-dory.....it is far from that. Flying from any overseas airport except as mentioned is a " dead mans hand" Me I only fly in to or out of Switzerland... I gauge my risks by professional experience. I am a risk taker pilot, climber ,military I can take risk when they are, or have manageable options..... Today they are so few I wont take that risk.

Smile and ignore the elephant in the room.... he is there to kill you. No joke... the game is escalating exponentially and no one wants you to believe that. THe reason US agents in Euro airports....incompetent. political correct, infiltrated security! Is that enough?

You do what you want... Me So will I.

Do not believe the PR od many agents , countries, operators and sages....it is later than one dare thinks.:loudcry:

Some one didn't take their meds today. Xanax can be life altering for persons with uncontrolled anxiety.

Nothing wrong with airport security in the EU.

Have a great day.

Some one didn't take their meds today. Xanax can be life altering for persons with uncontrolled anxiety.

Nothing wrong with airport security in the EU.

Have a great day.

Apparently you aren't aware of the many hijackings and bombings on flights leaving from Europe. 😜

Fear is a politician's best friend. Some people buy it and live accordingly. I'd rather be comatose than fearful.

Apparently you aren't aware of the many hijackings and bombings on flights leaving from Europe. 😜

Fear is a politician's best friend. Some people buy it and live accordingly. I'd rather be comatose than fearful.

I am aware of the minimal numbers. You are more likely to be killed crossing the street, driving your car, by some one with a handgun than flying in an airplane. I just don't worry about something that statistically will not happen to me.

Life is just too short.

Have a great day.

RJB, I think you very much misunderstood MarkieMark's post.

It's not that HawaiiDan has broken English ... but his typing can be very hard to translate! I have had a problem myself sometimes "translating" what he wrote. That doesn't mean I can't figure it out!

That is NOT a criticism of HD because he isn't alone ... And even super-typists can make these kinds of mistakes. I will miss his input if he truly is bailing out of this list.

Mura

If I did I am sorry about that. Just reacting to what I am reading. Can't get it right all the time even though I try.

Bottom line is that you are flying to and landing in the US. If it is a problem you should stay home or go somewhere else. We need to say as safe as possible.

Agree 100%

Go and be prepared for some searches. Give yourself extra time. Delays in lines happen. No matter how strange the request, just go along politely. Some airports have their own quirks. Flying our of Rome FCO is quite odd. They make you put all electrical devices and chargers into clear plastic bags. They provide sandwich size bags. The first time I was faced with placing my stuff in bags, it was a huge ordeal. Searching through my bag for ipad, ipod, camera, cell phone, kindle, etc. and then trying to put it all into small plastic bags was annoying. Now I take a 2 gallon size bag with me. Before I get to the airport, I put all my electrical stuff in it. However, since there is a first experience for some people, expect delays.

Now I take a 2 gallon size bag with me. Before I get to the airport, I put all my electrical stuff in it.

Great input Redtravel. Been doing this for years now. One gallon size baggie for all my electronic stuff (which seems to get more and more) and one for all our medications (quantity seems to increase proportional to our age;)). This way, if the scanner person has anything they can't identify it's usually very quickly resolved by just pulling out the baggie. Very simple and easy for all to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...
I tend to agree with this. Is it just with American airlines (in which case I don't have a problem), or does American security also double check on flights to the US by, say, Lufthansa, British Airways or KLM (in which case I agree with you)?

The US sets requirements for all flights to/from the US, just as Canada does to from Canada. Other countries have their own requirements.

Secondary checks are not unusual and have been run for years. Use to run into them quite often flying to/from Europe in the 80's. They are usually set up to be random. The checks are almost always done by airport security or by the airlines, not US TSA personnel. Though in the 90's you had gate checks pretty often in Heathrow.

There are some airports where one clears US customs/immigration prior to boarding the plane (most are in Canada, though there is some movement to do so in some other countries as well). This tends to work very well.

All airports that have flights to the US have to be in compliance with what the US considers to be acceptable security or it will no longer have flights to the US.

The best idea should be that Americans stay in USA and Europeans will not fly into US and don't bring their money into US. There are so many beautiful places on earth.

If that is the case then why are you posting on a US located web site?

The best idea should be that Americans stay in USA and Europeans will not fly into US and don't bring their money into US. There are so many beautiful places on earth.

Your choice. Don't think we will miss you very much, or at all. Have a great time wherever you end up.

The best idea should be that Americans stay in USA and Europeans will not fly into US and don't bring their money into US.

Best idea??? Hate to burst your bubble but that ain't happening.

Best way I know of eliminating your hard feelings is not to come to America, period.

That way us Americans won't piss you off, we for sure don't need any of your money, and don't need anymore haters than we already have.

Best idea??? Hate to burst your bubble but that ain't happening.

Best way I know of eliminating your hard feelings is not to come to America, period.

That way us Americans won't piss you off, we for sure don't need any of your money, and don't need anymore haters than we already have.

I agree with you but that ridiculous and hateful post by urlaub does not even deserve to be dignified by any answer - period.

It should simply be ignored or deleted.

It should simply be ignored or deleted.

You are correct Paulchili. I made the mistake of not pausing before posting my reply. I want to delete but don't see that option now. Just another confirmation I am human and make mistakes.

I apologize to everyone for my post and hope it gets removed somehow. That is not how I want to react.

You are correct Paulchili. I made the mistake of not pausing before posting my reply. I want to delete but don't see that option now. Just another confirmation I am human and make mistakes.

I apologize to everyone for my post and hope it gets removed somehow. That is not how I want to react.

It did need to be said and then forgotten.

Oh c'mon. How boring would this site be if everything was totally sanitized and no one posted crazy stuff?

I mean, I totally get how 67 threads on dress code and 54 on bringing liquor on board is thrilling. But why call for posts to be removed?

Are we so fragile? Do we need trigger warnings?

The fact is that many other nationalities ARE avoiding to travel to the U.S., just as many U.S. citizens are avoiding foreign travel.

We were just in Portugal for a couple of weeks and met only delightful people who seemed very happy to have us there ... but then, they are more and more dependent on the tourist dollar. (Having said that proviso, I don't think that's why there were so friendly everywhere. They were friendly to tourists 30 years ago, when there were far fewer of us.)

We'll continue to travel but try to watch our backs.

Mura

The fact is that many other nationalities ARE avoiding to travel to the U.S., just as many U.S. citizens are avoiding foreign travel.

We were just in Portugal for a couple of weeks and met only delightful people who seemed very happy to have us there ... but then, they are more and more dependent on the tourist dollar. (Having said that proviso, I don't think that's why there were so friendly everywhere. They were friendly to tourists 30 years ago, when there were far fewer of us.)

We'll continue to travel but try to watch our backs.

Mura

It may have been a few more than 30 years ago when some foreigners use to call some of us "the ugly Americans" because of a bit of bad behavior of a few of us. I don't think that is the case now. We have been traveling out of the country for many years and have found just about everyone to be very friendly. As you say these days we have to be more careful where we go. Travel safe. :)

There's nothing wrong with a little internet "repartee" -- tasteful or not!

I sure we would all be more congenial if we were to sit down together face-to-face!

That is just the problem. Why should we behave differently towards each other on the internet than we would face to face?

Does communicating on internet or anonymity excuse rudeness or tastelessness?

I think not. We should always try to be civil to each other even when we do not agree.

JMO.

That is just the problem. Why should we behave differently towards each other on the internet than we would face to face?

Does communicating on internet or anonymity excuse rudeness or tastelessness?

I think not. We should always try to be civil to each other even when we do not agree.

JMO.

A little consideration would be appreciated.

The only problem today is that you have a president who acts very rudely on the net(twitter), so people believe that they should follow his example.

We should all try and be more civil with each other whether on the net or in person. Respect for other person's beliefs!