Driving from Pittsburgh to Miami!

xbriannao

Hello all!

My husband and I will be driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Miami, FL in a few weeks for our cruise. Was wondering if anyone else did a similar drive? If so, any tips or things we must see along the way? We plan on stopping halfway through to get a hotel, so if you also have any recommendations on which hotel you enjoyed?

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you're heading down I-79 to I-77 to I-95. Charleston, SC is about 1/2 way. Great spot to stop. We've stayed at the Hampton Inn in Florence just off I-95 before getting to Charleston. Lots of other places and chain restaurants around that exit (164/165). Also, places around I-26 and I-95 or down I-26 around the airport if you wanted to head into Charleston, proper.

Charleston is a great town. But its too far away to be driving from there the day of the cruise. But if you want to drive stop and then get in night before, Charleston is an awesome town. Though Charleston-Miami is pretty long day.

Well, I'm in agreement that for me it would be 2 very long days. I'd break it up to 3. Charlotte NC, Daytona Beach/Ft Pierce, then down to Miami on morning of cruise. But if the OP and spouse are sharing the driving, and since it's not dark until almost 9P, They can make a good distance. And spend night 2 in Miami.

At Xmas we drove from Ontario, Canada down to Miami. Did it with just one night on the road and then two nights in Fort Lauderdale prior to the cruise.

Stopped at a Doubleetree Hilton in Fayeteville NC. Great hotel and very comfy beds plus in house restaurant and bar. That was supposed to be a 13 hour drive but turned into 19 due to the snow and traffic in Washington.

Still, we like to drive and it wasn't that great a hardship, I would rather drive hard and do longer hours on the road splitting the driving than take to many nights to get south.

We took I-81 from the border and unfortunately we should have continued on it rather than head to DC but I followed our GPS. Next time I will take the I-81 west of DC and then cut across to Richmond and hitting the 95 south from there.

We took I-81 from the border and unfortunately we should have continued on it rather than head to DC but I followed our GPS. Next time I will take the I-81 west of DC and then cut across to Richmond and hitting the 95 south from there.

An alternative that avoids DC and Richmond entirely is to stay on I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 just west of Charleston, SC. The only major city on that route is Charlotte, NC where traffic will slow down but it isn't like I-95 between Baltimore and Richmond. That is our route from our home in the Shenandoah Valley, VA to Fort Lauderdale.

After living in Arlington, VA (just across the Potomac River from Washington, DC) for 40 years we would do anything to avoid I-95 from Baltimore, around DC, to south of Richmond.

Thanks guys! We plan on leaving one day, stopping probably around Charleston, SC and staying overnight there. The next day driving to miami, and staying there overnight for our cruise the next morning. We assume it will be about 10 hours of driving a day, which includes our pit stops and everything.

Thanks guys! We plan on leaving one day, stopping probably around Charleston, SC and staying overnight there. The next day driving to miami, and staying there overnight for our cruise the next morning. We assume it will be about 10 hours of driving a day, which includes our pit stops and everything.

Just a heads up that I-95 does not go to Charleston. I-26 goes to Charleston and it is out of your way for a trip to Miami from Pittsburgh.

While Charleston is my favorite city on the planet, you aren't going to have enough time to drive there and enjoy it. I would just book something in Florence or drive further south.

On our most recent cruise (June 2017), we stopped and stayed in the Palm Beach Gardens area the night before the cruise. Much better hotel rates than Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, and about a 1 and 1/2 hour drive to Miami the next morning.

On our most recent cruise (June 2017), we stopped and stayed in the Palm Beach Gardens area the night before the cruise. Much better hotel rates than Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, and about a 1 and 1/2 hour drive to Miami the next morning.

Have just been researching this very thing and have about decided to stay at Palm Beach Gardens the night before our cruise.

Can you tell me how the drive was to Miami? We will be travelling to the port on a Friday.

Have just been researching this very thing and have about decided. to stay at Palm Beach Gardens the night before our cruise.

Can you tell me how the drive was to Miami? We will be travelling to the port on a Friday.

Expect lots of traffic all the way - it will definitely be busier than on a weekend. On the morning of your departure use googlemaps or the equivalent to determine any accidents, construction, etc. that could delay the normal 1 1/2 hour (approximately) trip considerably. Remember that you also have the alternative of switching to the Florida Turnpike (runs parallel to I-95) but that has tolls.

Have just been researching this very thing and have about decided to stay at Palm Beach Gardens the night before our cruise.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites - Palm Beach Gardens area the night before. Drove on a Monday morning to the port, leaving around 9:00 am. (Traffic on Monday should be the same as a Friday).

Took I-95 the whole way to downtown Miami. Was able to drive about 10 mph over the speed limit the whole way with the exception of a 2 mile stretch around the Dade / Broward county line, which averaged around 15 mph.

We actually had a rental van (Budget) and arrived at their downtown office by 10:35 am, including a stop to top off the gas. Arrived at the port via Budget's shuttle at 10:55 am, and was on board approximately 15-20 minutes later. We had VIP access on the ship though, so 15-20 minutes from port arrival to on the ship is not the norm.

Also, that slow stretch that I mentioned earlier was around the Golden Glades / Palmetto Expressway exit, and would affect you the same if you were to take the Turnpike or I-95, and also if you were going directly to the port or to a car rental drop off location (either airport or downtown).

Edited by loanshark

I would plan on two hours from Palm Beach to Miami. I make the drive weekly and rarely does it ever take me less than an hour from WPB to downtown Fort Lauderdale. Once you hit FLL, you are an hour still from downtown Miami.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites - Palm Beach Gardens area the night before. Drove on a Monday morning to the port, leaving around 9:00 am. (Traffic on Monday should be the same as a Friday).

Took I-95 the whole way to downtown Miami. Was able to drive about 10 mph over the speed limit the whole way with the exception of a 2 mile stretch around the Dade / Broward county line, which averaged around 15 mph.

We actually had a rental van (Budget) and arrived at their downtown office by 10:35 am, including a stop to top off the gas. Arrived at the port via Budget's shuttle at 10:55 am, and was on board approximately 15-20 minutes later. We had VIP access on the ship though, so 15-20 minutes from port arrival to on the ship is not the norm.

Also, that slow stretch that I mentioned earlier was around the Golden Glades / Palmetto Expressway exit, and would affect you the same if you were to take the Turnpike or I-95, and also if you were going directly to the port or to a car rental drop off location (either airport or downtown).

This. If you can wait till 9 to leave from PB Gardens you will avoid the worst of rush hour traffic. Make sure you double check the traffic reports for accidents. A major accident on either 95 or the Turnpike can be a total unmitigated disaster. And yes going through the Golden Glades is usually slower than the rest of the hwy. because of the Turnpike and Palmetto traffic merging onto 95 but unless something abnormal happens it will break up and get back to normal speeds once you are through. Enjoy your trip.