SeaTac to Pier 91 in Seattle

Kerry&LuAnn

The Link light rail takes 45 minutes to go from SeaTac Airport to Westlake Station in downtown Seattle for $3. From the Westlake Station, a taxi ride to Pier 91 cruise ship terminal is 3 miles (10 minutes) for about $15. That seems less expensive than a taxi from SeaTac to Pier 91. Pros or cons?

As commonly discussed here, lugging your bags is a con, possibly, depending on your mobility.

Otherwise you have probably identified the least expensive method. A towncar, like a taxi, will take you direct, and for a similar price. If you look around the board, you will see mentions of something like "flatrate" taxi or similar, that will be cheaper that metered taxis.

Cheaper still will be an UberX/Lyft from Westlake Station to the pier rather than a cab.

Biggest issue is your comfort level with several blocks of flat walking to board the train and escalator/elevator rides on both ends of the trip.

UberX and Lyft are now allowed to pick up at the airport. About $40 all-in and about 20 minutes shorter total trip time.

Note that almost all cabs and UberX here are Prius, which makes them a tight squeeze for more than two people with typical cruise luggage.

Way cheaper still is to walk from Westlake center to Pier 91. Last year our table mates did just that. They said it wasn’t a bad walk. They each had one bag and their bags were on wheels and they just walked along the Elliott Bay trail.

Do-able if you can easily manage your luggage! It's a 7-10 minute walk from the airport to the Light Rail station. You're basically walking thru the airport parking garage so it's covered and flat, but it can be a hike if you have multiple suitcases. And there's another walk and escalator/elevator at Westlake.

I used Shuttle Express. They have a kiosk in the SeaTac garage. It's a shared van service. More than the light rail but less than a taxi. Go to their website and make a reservation.

Roz

Cheaper still will be an UberX/Lyft from Westlake Station to the pier rather than a cab.

Biggest issue is your comfort level with several blocks of flat walking to board the train and escalator/elevator rides on both ends of the trip.

UberX and Lyft are now allowed to pick up at the airport. About $40 all-in and about 20 minutes shorter total trip time.

Note that almost all cabs and UberX here are Prius, which makes them a tight squeeze for more than two people with typical cruise luggage.

I have been told that uber was not able to pick up at seatac. Maybe that has changed or maybe a pick up close by, not actually on the airport grounds. Help will be appreciated.

<<...Way cheaper still is to walk from Westlake center to Pier 91. Last year our table mates did just that. They said it wasn’t a bad walk. They each had one bag and their bags were on wheels and they just walked along the Elliott Bay trail...>>

Distance from Pike Place Market to Pier 91 via the walking/bike trail is 2.9 miles for those who are interested. Don't know the distance from Westlake Center to Pier 91.

Tom

UberX and Lyft are now able to pick up on the airport grounds. You follow the signs for taxicabs and there are big signs that point to the TNC/Rideshare pickup area.

The apps also explain how and where to get picked up. I don't get my jollies by leading cruisers astray and I'm through the Seattle airport frequently.

The FAQ has also been updated.

I have been told that uber was not able to pick up at seatac. Maybe that has changed or maybe a pick up close by, not actually on the airport grounds. Help will be appreciated.

Uber is not supposed to pick up passengers at the curb by baggage claim.

Their pick up area is in the parking garage, on the 3rd floor by the taxi line.

<<...Way cheaper still is to walk from Westlake center to Pier 91. Last year our table mates did just that. They said it wasn’t a bad walk. They each had one bag and their bags were on wheels and they just walked along the Elliott Bay trail...>>

Distance from Pike Place Market to Pier 91 via the walking/bike trail is 2.9 miles for those who are interested. Don't know the distance from Westlake Center to Pier 91.

Distance from Westlake to Pier 91 appears to be 3.1 miles = a good 1 hour walk pulling luggage.

On a nice day one time, I walked from the Best Western near the Space Needle to the Hilton downtown. I followed the monorail track. Some people thought I was crazy. I had been on a 4-day cruise and had a small rolling suitcase and my carry on. It was doable. Can't imagine hauling a big suitcase to Pier 91, and what if it rains?

Roz