BIRG Ticket

SELLER8

Does anyone know if you purchase the BIRG ticket in Civitavecchia to go to Rome if you are limited to the type of train you can ride? I am not sure if the higher speed trains accept this ticket. Any input on this is appreciated.

The BIRG is not valid on the very high speed intercity trains. But it is valid on all the regional trains both the regular and the slightly faster Veloce trains.

Hank

Hank,

Thanks very much for the information! Do you happen to know how long it would take to walk from the S. Pietro train station to the Vatican Museum? Our ship arrives at 7AM so I would like to make a reservation in the morning sometime.

Larry

Hank,

Thanks very much for the information! Do you happen to know how long it would take to walk from the S. Pietro train station to the Vatican Museum? Our ship arrives at 7AM so I would like to make a reservation in the morning sometime.

Larry

its about a 15-20 minute walk, generally you can follow the crowd but I would take a map or something to help. There is some signage but probably not enough.

its about a 15-20 minute walk, generally you can follow the crowd but I would take a map or something to help. There is some signage but probably not enough.

I think it's a bit farther. Google maps suggests 24 minutes. I'd feel better allowing at least 30 minutes.

Edited by cruisemom42

On a side, though related, note, I'd be interested in hearing everyone else's experience with google's estimates of walking times. They use just about 3 miles per hour as their rate which I suspect might be a tad faster than most people walk. In other words, I think google may underestimate how long it takes most people to walk from place to place.

Have any of you actually compared how long it took you to walk somewhere with google's estimate?

My experience in Rome (and other European cities) is that I average about 1 mile per hour walking. Took me over an hour to walk to St. Peters to get in line for entrance from San Pietro train station. Stop lights, photo ops, "look at that" and gawking slow me down. I am a reasonably fit walker, and can do 2-3 mph in a park if I keep my head down and do not stop to chat. Much, much slower in Rome.

That's kind of what I'd expect. If you're walking with a purpose to get from point A to point B their rate is still a little fast, but if you're trying to take in some of your surroundings ... well, then if you use their calculations you will grossly underestimate the time you'll need.

On a side, though related, note, I'd be interested in hearing everyone else's experience with google's estimates of walking times. They use just about 3 miles per hour as their rate which I suspect might be a tad faster than most people walk. In other words, I think google may underestimate how long it takes most people to walk from place to place.

Have any of you actually compared how long it took you to walk somewhere with google's estimate?

LOL Euro. We once thought about correlating HAL cruisers with Google walk times and the thought made us laugh. But we would assume many older cruisers would need to double to Google estimates...but if HAL cruisers probably Triple! (we know this will get us flamed...but all in jest).

Hank

It's easy to get to the museum entrance. You turn left from the train station and head slightly downhill. You can see the top of the colonnade ahead. Walk toward that, then around to the right, crossing St. Peter's Square and through the colonnade on the opposite side. Keep walking with the walls of Vatican City on your immediate left. Eventually the walls make a left turn, do that and the entrance will be just ahead on your left. We are fast walkers and I'd allow at least half an hour to get through the crowds, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I always add some time to Google time estimates for walking, and for any estimate of time given by any European, for that matter! I don't think the google and other map-derived estimates take into account whether the trip is uphill, downhill, or perfectly flat, and if nothing else, that can make a difference. Also, there are some cities (Lisbon, Edinburgh and even San Francisco come to mind) that have some rather steep inclines. If you want to see how much the incline is, you need to download and use Google Earth, a wonderful program. It shows elevation for everything.