Queen Elizabeth II Noisy & Vibration in cabins on Deck 1

enthusedtooth

Like I said in post number 2, we noticed this vibration when we walked down the corridor outside these cabins. It was really quite bad. I feel sorry for the OP and Vincente8.

Ray, since you also noticed it - and you are an experienced and observant passenger - my guess is that something is amiss. :confused: -S.

Given we only had a close up view of glasses that didn't show us much, the sound that could be heard suggested the glass shelf might have been loose. That's easily fixed.

I happened to check out some of Vincente8's other videos from his 'nightmare' holiday on QE (I was on at the same time and had a lovely holiday - granted I was on Deck 8) only to come across one video where it would seem a point is being made about faulty furniture.

From what I can see it might help if the child didn't pick at the upholstery! Perhaps if passengers didn't fiddle with things they wouldn't fall apart.

This annoys me.

Hello,

Sorry for my bad english.

We just finished our terrible cruise this friday.

The focus of the vibrations are near cabin 1189.

Our cabin was 1191, and it was the worst cruise we have made.

They didn't resolved the problem until 7 days of complain everyday.

Please, see these videos to understand better.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCypEfRXPr8I-1jIn3IW7ubg

And also you can see:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forodecruceros.com%2Fcruceros%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D66%26t%3D15281%26start%3D10%23p99148

Never again with Cunard.

Vicente

I assume you mean 1089 as 1189 doesn't exist. This cabin is right next to crew areas and machinery. Not a great location.

Surprised it took 7 days to get someone to come look at it, especially since the Purser's office is mere feet away.

I assume you mean 1089 as 1189 doesn't exist. This cabin is right next to crew areas and machinery. Not a great location.

Surprised it took 7 days to get someone to come look at it, especially since the Purser's office is mere feet away.

Sorry, you are right.

1089, and our cabin 1091.

Well, 7 days to change to better cabin.

Purser's office send a person to verify when I complained, and they said it was not possible to change cabin because ship was supposedly full, untill I went 3 in the morning the 4th day to strongly complain, and suddenly an emergency interior cabin appears, but only to sleep at night, and for 2 but we were 3. Next day we suggested to put a 3rd bed en the interior cabin to sleep because it was a big cabin and it had enough space to sleep 4 people. But we suggested, they were always passive and avoiding the problem as it was not truth, as some people here in this forum.

I don't believe there were no free cabins. The theater was every day with more than 50% of free seats. And also it was the emergency cabin.

The problem was more the incompetence of staff responsible than the fact that the vibrations of the cabin. With Celebrity we have similar problems and they resolved quickly.

And yes, the office of Tara the responsible and incompetent person of the problem was just few meters of our cabin.

Given we only had a close up view of glasses that didn't show us much, the sound that could be heard suggested the glass shelf might have been loose. That's easily fixed.

I happened to check out some of Vincente8's other videos from his 'nightmare' holiday on QE (I was on at the same time and had a lovely holiday - granted I was on Deck 8) only to come across one video where it would seem a point is being made about faulty furniture.

From what I can see it might help if the child didn't pick at the upholstery! Perhaps if passengers didn't fiddle with things they wouldn't fall apart.

This annoys me.

You mean that if there was a serious failure in the front of the upholstered armrest call most of the seats of the theater, and tacks are out alone and can cause damage if you prick them, if a child discovers they are loose tacks, blame the child for snooping, and not responsible for the job that put them well?.

That thinking so strangely.

"This annoys me."

If Cunard thinks like you, will never repair the seats.

I invite those who are traveling on the Queen Elizabeth to find out if what I say is true or not.

Ciao Vincente. No need to be apologetic for your language skills, your are doing fine. If only I could write Italian as well as you write in english .

And thanks for your post regarding the vibrations you experienced in your cabin. But may I suggest that you consider that the Queen Mary 2 is very different from other ships... perhaps you might consider the difference between an ocean liner and a Vista Class ship? Rather than say "never again with Cunard", it is possible you might enjoy the QM2? No?

Cordialmente, - Salacia

I have a friend who traveled on the QM2 and he spoke very well of his cruise, but if you were tortured for a week without sleep, you would not want to be with your torturers but then treat you nicely and luxury.

Regards

Vicente

Edited by Vicente8

... "Was expected that the "QE2" came into service in late 1968, but a series of engine problems and noisy vibration in accommodations for the passage delayed its maiden voyage".
Thank you Vicente, whenever you've a moment to explain, I still don't understand this part of your previous post, looking forward to hearing from you, thanks :)

We recently returned from a Med cruise for which we paid top price for cabins 1101 & 1103 on Deck 1. Whilst on board we put in a complaint as the noise and vibration were quite bad and sleeping was difficult. On our return we sent a letter to Cunard which took them over a month to reply to. Basically they do not recognise these particular cabins as being and more noisy than the others and they do not recognise the vibration problem. we felt as though we were just above the engine room. If you are booking these cabins then make sure you take your ear defenders. needless to say we will not be booking with Cunard again.

We have done 12 trips on the Q.V. and Q.E. mostly on Deck 1 and usually have a Deluxe Inside, we have only had one bad cabin that was 1081 on the Q.V. the noise came from a door slamming which the staff often used, we complained to the pursers desk and they moved us to a cabin a little further down the corridor. Other than no problems at all, we are on Desk 1 again at the end of this month.:):)

You mean that if there was a serious failure in the front of the upholstered armrest call most of the seats of the theater, and tacks are out alone and can cause damage if you prick them, if a child discovers they are loose tacks, blame the child for snooping, and not responsible for the job that put them well?.

That thinking so strangely.

"This annoys me."

If Cunard thinks like you, will never repair the seats.

I invite those who are traveling on the Queen Elizabeth to find out if what I say is true or not.

Not wishing to make a damning accusation against the child in your video, but a viewer can be mistaken for thinking repeated picking at the tacks caused them to come loose. They are tacks, not rivets.

it didn't exactly come loose by itself. It seemed to take some picking at to get it to come loose.

This is why I'm annoyed.

I was on the ship at the exact same time as you and I found the upholstery to be well maintained overall.

Perhaps more parents should keep better watch over their children and discourage picking at decorative tacks. Might be safer for all concerned.

I don't believe there were no free cabins. The theater was every day with more than 50% of free seats. And also it was the emergency cabin.

That isn't a fair measure of whether the ship was full. There are two main dinner sittings and shows are repeated twice a night. The theatre would never be filled to capacity. It was also a port intensive cruise and at night many passengers returned to their cabins exhausted. I didn't go to every show as I was either too tired or I was enjoying the company of other passengers in the dining room or a bar.

If you listened to the report on the first sea day and read the daily programme you would see that the ship was sailing at capacity (there were quite a few solo travellers taking up double occupancy rooms - which they paid for).

That you were able to be placed in an inside emergency cabin (your words) says that this was a room of last resort.

Yes, a week of complaining with no reaction would certainly give me cause to be upset. If that was truly the case then yes, it is poor form from the staff. However, I'm not sure how you went about it, or what transpired between you and the staff, so I am not going to condemn any one party.

My dealings with the Purser's office and ships' staff were all positive (except for one of the 'I have attitude and I'll walk into anyone I want because passengers should move aside for my beautiful self' gay entertainment staff). Unfortunately, there seemed to be a lot of complaining passengers who surprisingly were not English!

My only criticisms (surprisingly about the latter two groups) can be levelled at some Americans, South Americans, and continental European passengers. More to come about these encounters :)

Thank you Vicente, whenever you've a moment to explain, I still don't understand this part of your previous post, looking forward to hearing from you, thanks :)

hello,

I just found it searching in internet, when looking for information about the same problem as mine.

You can read it here, but is in Spanish.

http://www.criticasdecruceros.com/ver4/noticias/2-ultima-visita-del-queen-elizabeth-2-

Curiously, the name is very similar to this forum, but in Spanish.

I put it in the way it is not the first time that Cunard has vibration problems in their ships.

Regards

We have done 12 trips on the Q.V. and Q.E. mostly on Deck 1 and usually have a Deluxe Inside, we have only had one bad cabin that was 1081 on the Q.V. the noise came from a door slamming which the staff often used, we complained to the pursers desk and they moved us to a cabin a little further down the corridor. Other than no problems at all, we are on Desk 1 again at the end of this month.:):)

Please, check deck plan and you will see that there is no inside cabins in the vibrating zone.

Also there are not passenger cabins in the right part (babor or port side i think).

The small zone with terrible vibrations had only outside window cabins, and next there are crew cabins.

You can see it here:

http://www.cunard.com/documents/2014-2015%20deck%20plans/qe%20deck%20plan.pdf

Beleive or not believe to me, but please, take care to don't choose any of the cabins between 1089 and 1111.

And I also will be cautious with the previous ones (1087-1085...)

If you are again on QE at the end of this mont, please, go to the rigth part of the pursers desk at night, and explain here after you came if it was normal the vibrations you felt, imaging you were sleeping on bed.

Regards

Not wishing to make a damning accusation against the child in your video, but a viewer can be mistaken for thinking repeated picking at the tacks caused them to come loose. They are tacks, not rivets.

it didn't exactly come loose by itself. It seemed to take some picking at to get it to come loose.

This is why I'm annoyed.

I was on the ship at the exact same time as you and I found the upholstery to be well maintained overall.

Perhaps more parents should keep better watch over their children and discourage picking at decorative tacks. Might be safer for all concerned.

What exactly happens was that one night in the middle of the function of theater, my child 3 years old put a tack/nail/pin (i don't know in English but you can see it in the video) on my hand.

I asked her and told me that she took from the seat armrest.

Then I checked and I could not believe that most of seats around me had the same problem.

We were seated in left part of central seating, row 8.

Other days, I checked again and I realized that the problem was in most of seats where we sat.

Other day, I asked to my daughter about what happens when she discovered the problem and I recorded in the video you can see.

If you could understand Spanish, maybe you will understand better what happens in the video.

Of course I said to her to don't make it again, and that it was dangerous.

You can hear it in the video but in Spanish.

If you imagine the armrest of the seat as a ship, the problem is only in the norht part.East, souht and west are ok.

In the north part, the tack/nail/pin are very soft and you can take it out very easy because there is not enough wood inside the upholstered to support them.

A 3 years old child nosing is normal.

What is not normal is the easily you can get the tack/nail/pin out.

if someone is hurt by this, the culprit is not the curious child but who made a bad job to mount the seats.

... I put it in the way it is not the first time that Cunard has vibration problems in their ships
Thank you Vicente for explaining :) .

I do not doubt that you felt vibration on QE. But I've felt slight vibration in various sections of many ships that I've been on or in. It is part of being on a ship at sea. The same goes for movement on stormy oceans.

I've had air-conditioning systems in hotels that were far more of an issue than anything (vibration and noise) I've encountered on four Cunard vessels. Indeed I noticed so little vibration in my cabins on QE2, QV and QE (and QM2) that I have forgotten if there was any, which I would have remembered had it been excessive.

Thank you again. However I'm not sure that reference to the sea trials of an historic, one-of-a-kind design, high-speed liner like QE2 built by Cunard in Scotland in the 60s, helps your argument with regard to a whole class of slower modern cruise ships built by Carnival in Italy a few years back.

Best wishes :) and happy sailings for the future,

Edited by pepperrn

That isn't a fair measure of whether the ship was full. There are two main dinner sittings and shows are repeated twice a night. The theatre would never be filled to capacity. It was also a port intensive cruise and at night many passengers returned to their cabins exhausted. I didn't go to every show as I was either too tired or I was enjoying the company of other passengers in the dining room or a bar.

If you listened to the report on the first sea day and read the daily programme you would see that the ship was sailing at capacity (there were quite a few solo travellers taking up double occupancy rooms - which they paid for).

That you were able to be placed in an inside emergency cabin (your words) says that this was a room of last resort.

Yes, a week of complaining with no reaction would certainly give me cause to be upset. If that was truly the case then yes, it is poor form from the staff. However, I'm not sure how you went about it, or what transpired between you and the staff, so I am not going to condemn any one party.

My dealings with the Purser's office and ships' staff were all positive (except for one of the 'I have attitude and I'll walk into anyone I want because passengers should move aside for my beautiful self' gay entertainment staff). Unfortunately, there seemed to be a lot of complaining passengers who surprisingly were not English!

My only criticisms (surprisingly about the latter two groups) can be levelled at some Americans, South Americans, and continental European passengers. More to come about these encounters :)

Sorry, my English is not enough to understand you at all, also with help of translators that are not good.

Why you don't think about the possibility that Cunard Knows and sell some cabins of Deck 1 that don't have a minimum of comfort and they cause big problems to passengers that can not sleep at night, every night, also using earplugs?.

I felt tickle in my toes on bed, and the sound of the engine cycles in my ears through the pillow, even with earplugs, every night, during one week.

Why do you think I am here writing in English when is so hard for me?.

To complain, protest against Cunard for the damage they have done to us, and to warn future travelers, so what happened to my family, other travelers will not happen.

They were supposed to be a happy holiday, but it turned into a nightmare due to some problems they have known for years, and they are still selling those cabins.

Please, check deck plan and you will see that there is no inside cabins in the vibrating zone.

Also there are not passenger cabins in the right part (babor or port side i think).

The small zone with terrible vibrations had only outside window cabins, and next there are crew cabins.

You can see it here:

http://www.cunard.com/documents/2014-2015%20deck%20plans/qe%20deck%20plan.pdf

Beleive or not believe to me, but please, take care to don't choose any of the cabins between 1089 and 1111.

And I also will be cautious with the previous ones (1087-1085...)

If you are again on QE at the end of this mont, please, go to the rigth part of the pursers desk at night, and explain here after you came if it was normal the vibrations you felt, imaging you were sleeping on bed.

Regards

Vincente8 Nothing wrong with your English, I wish I could speak Spanish never mind being able to write a letter. Please do not give up on Cunard yet we all have had bad trips, like I said 1081 never again, when we book a Cunard cruise we know which cabins to book, we have done 40 trips with Cunard and not many problems. Good luck with any future Cruise.

@Vicente8: I am very sorry to read of the difficulties you had on your cruise.

I've been on ships all over and I completely agree that some cabins on some ships are unacceptable. Strangely, the one I was most apprehensive about, completely in the bow barreling across the Drake Passage, was extremely pleasant once I settled in. Other times, I didn't expect issues and I had them.

What I do now is check sites like Cruise Critic for specific cabin info/experiences of past cruisers before I book. I humbly suggest you do the same. (Not just Cunard--data on other lines is actually very good.) This has been a very useful step for me.

If you trust your friend's judgment in re: another Cunard ship I suggest you first research an appropriate cabin and then give it a try. You were looking for a special something when you booked QE--you may just find it yet.

My partner and I sailed in cabin 1075 on QUEEN ELIZABETH late last year on a 12-day Mediterranean cruise. We absolutely loved the cabin and the location. There was no vibration or noise except for a faint hum when the ship was sailing and it was perfect for sleeping. We loved the fact that every time we came back to the ship from port our cabin was just a short flight of stairs away. Also just down the hall was the show lounge on one end (secret entrance) and the main atrium lobby at the other. The location was superb especially for a port intensive itinerary. Honestly I never missed having a balcony.

All this being said, there is a section of cabins on the Starboard side that are aft of the Purser's Desk. I noticed some of these cabins had staff in them. In any case I don't recommend them. Lot's of vibration and noise, and there is also a small raised ramp in the corridor that is easy to trip over. Even standing at the Purser's Desk you could feel extreme vibration and noise and thankfully there are no cabins there.

So I would say the main section of cabins on Deck 1 are just fine, but avoid the small Starboard side section aft of the Purser's Desk.

My partner and I sailed in cabin 1075 on QUEEN ELIZABETH late last year on a 12-day Mediterranean cruise. We absolutely loved the cabin and the location. There was no vibration or noise except for a faint hum when the ship was sailing and it was perfect for sleeping. We loved the fact that every time we came back to the ship from port our cabin was just a short flight of stairs away. Also just down the hall was the show lounge on one end (secret entrance) and the main atrium lobby at the other. The location was superb especially for a port intensive itinerary. Honestly I never missed having a balcony.

All this being said, there is a section of cabins on the Starboard side that are aft of the Purser's Desk. I noticed some of these cabins had staff in them. In any case I don't recommend them. Lot's of vibration and noise, and there is also a small raised ramp in the corridor that is easy to trip over. Even standing at the Purser's Desk you could feel extreme vibration and noise and thankfully there are no cabins there.

So I would say the main section of cabins on Deck 1 are just fine, but avoid the small Starboard side section aft of the Purser's Desk.

Exactly! This is the section that Vincente is talking about - where cabin 1091 is located.

Hello,

Finally some of you are understanding me.

I could not select the cabin because it was a last minute deal, and there were only guaranteed cabins.

From the zero zone, on the right there are the mentioned cabins, and on the left the Purser's Desk.

It is obvious that they know the problem.

The ship is British and maybe you know that British call us PIGS (Portugal-Italia-Greece-Spain and later also Ireland).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIGS_%28economics%29

The last minute deal was only for two PIGS countrys, Spain and Portugal, at the same time that, for example, the same type of cabin cost 575 euros x person in Spain (The child pay as an adult), and more than 2000 euros in Germany.

But it was not possible to select desired cabin.

Cunard assigned cabins as they decided.

Why not think that they decided to earn some money, by selling some uncomfortable known cabins with extreme vibration, with a PIG deal, for PIGS passengers?.

When I tell to my friends what happened, the first they answer me is, so it was so cheap.

This could explain the passivity and indifference with which we were treated with this problem for the first 7 days of the 14 cruise, until they realized that I was denouncing live at a Spanish cruise forum.

They put me bait and fell into the trap.

They've ruined my vacation, which cost me much effort to arrange and pay.

I will not stop until justice is done.

Regards

Edited by Vicente8

I believe I was a ten-year-old in Madrid when I first heard the adage that "free advice is worth what you pay for it". Nevertheless, Vicente8, here's some free advice:

I think it is entirely reasonable to think that Cunard might give deep, last-minute discounts on empty, less desirable cabins. I think any business might do that. It might cost me a lot of money to watch my beloved Whites welcome That Particular Team From Catalonia to the Bernabeu for a football match. If, instead, my ten times' European champions were playing some unknown team in the Copa, maybe I could get a last minute ticket for only a few Euros because there are many empty seats.

I think it's quite unreasonable to argue that Cunard is helping the short-sellers in the Bond Market take Cosmic Revenge on ordinary Spanish citizens because the Spanish government's monetary and fiscal policy has raised Spain's borrowing costs. When you make that argument, in my mind, you undermine the more important things you are trying to say.

Cunard does not want any unhappy customers, on any forums, anywhere. It is bad for business. Please feel free to complain about your cabin and the service you received if you feel it was subpar. But please know that if you're going to claim institutionalized racism on the part of Cunard in aid of bond vigilantes, without solid proof I fear a lot of people may dismiss all your complaints out of hand.

Hello,

Finally some of you are understanding me.

I could not select the cabin because it was a last minute deal, and there were only guaranteed cabins.

From the zero zone, on the right there are the mentioned cabins, and on the left the Purser's Desk.

It is obvious that they know the problem.

The ship is British and maybe you know that British call us PIGS (Portugal-Italia-Greece-Spain and later also Ireland).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIGS_%28economics%29

The last minute deal was only for two PIGS countrys, Spain and Portugal, at the same time that, for example, the same type of cabin cost 575 euros x person in Spain (The child pay as an adult), and more than 2000 euros in Germany.

But it was not possible to select desired cabin.

Cunard assigned cabins as they decided.

Why not think that they decided to earn some money, by selling some uncomfortable known cabins with extreme vibration, with a PIG deal, for PIGS passengers?.

When I tell to my friends what happened, the first they answer me is, so it was so cheap.

This could explain the passivity and indifference with which we were treated with this problem for the first 7 days of the 14 cruise, until they realized that I was denouncing live at a Spanish cruise forum.

They put me bait and fell into the trap.

They've ruined my vacation, which cost me much effort to arrange and pay.

I will not stop until justice is done.

Regards

€575 euros for a 14 night cruise?

You couldn't get a bed and breakfast for that in the UK, instead you had a full board cruise, with entertainment!

Did you seriously expect that you would have a top notch cabin for that price?

You got a great deal, be happy.

While I can understand not getting the best cabin when paying bargain basement prices, any cabin for passenger occupancy should have certain minimum standards. This would include not having excessive vibrations or noise to the extent where you can't even sleep at night. It's obvious Cunard uses this section of cabins for staff members, and perhaps they should be pulled out of inventory for passengers if they are that bad. I know walking through the area and hearing the noise and feeling the vibrations I would not be happy regardless of what I paid.

For me the bigger issue is that Cunard is having to resort to bargain basement pricing to fill ships. It's a shame there is only a small niche of people interested in this style of cruising because it's so wonderful. I worry that Cunard will continue to dumb down the experience to appeal to a broader scope of passengers and if they do that, you can expect the experience to be diluted with each passing year. I hope that doesn't happen, but when I see rates of 575 Euros for a 14 day cruise I realize something has gotta give. Most likely the onboard quality and the passenger demographics. People that really should not sail on Cunard but end up booking them anyway because it's so cheap. Not a good thing.

For me the bigger issue is that Cunard is having to resort to bargain basement pricing to fill ships. It's a shame there is only a small niche of people interested in this style of cruising because it's so wonderful. I worry that Cunard will continue to dumb down the experience to appeal to a broader scope of passengers and if they do that, you can expect the experience to be diluted with each passing year. I hope that doesn't happen, but when I see rates of 575 Euros for a 14 day cruise I realize something has gotta give. Most likely the onboard quality and the passenger demographics. People that really should not sail on Cunard but end up booking them anyway because it's so cheap. Not a good thing.

Amen, brother! And many times it seem as if Cunard will give them a higher category room than I booked months before at a higher tariff than the newcomers paid.

Please don't stereotype - not all of us can book months in advance so last minute is the way to go. We love cunard and count ourselves classy enough to be on board. Booking late does not mean you expect Butlins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD