The Med-HAL Nieuw Amsterdam or Celebrity?

horatio123

September 2015...plans for a Med cruise...actually have never ocean cruised before. Have heard tons of praise for Celebrity and steering towards it but relatives and their friends are suggesting the Nieuw as they had just finished a cruise with them and were impressed. HAL has Barcelona to Venice(Monte CArlo, St. Tropez, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Corfu, Kotor, Durbrovnic, Venice...

We are all in the 55-65 range. Cruising experience for me would be Uniworld 3x...I know it is not the same. So your expertise on....the quality of these ports for a first time cruise, the quality of the Nieuw....And then we decide if we go on our own or perhaps it would be fun to go with a large group to socialize from time to time.

If the Celebrity cruise is aboard the newer Solstice Class ships they are really beautiful. Holland America has excellent service, beautiful ships, friendly crew.

We have sailed both lines and are great fans of Holland America and Celebrity. You can't go wrong with either.

Jonathan

I am a huge Celebrity fan, but I cruised the Niew Amsterdam 2 years ago in the opposite direction....Venice to Barcelona. It was one of my favorite cruises of all time. My only complaint was the ship was lacking in evening activities/entertainment. But otherwise, it was an excellent cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
September 2015...plans for a Med cruise...actually have never ocean cruised before. Have heard tons of praise for Celebrity and steering towards it but relatives and their friends are suggesting the Nieuw as they had just finished a cruise with them and were impressed. HAL has Barcelona to Venice(Monte CArlo, St. Tropez, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Corfu, Kotor, Durbrovnic, Venice...

We are all in the 55-65 range. Cruising experience for me would be Uniworld 3x...I know it is not the same. So your expertise on....the quality of these ports for a first time cruise, the quality of the Nieuw....And then we decide if we go on our own or perhaps it would be fun to go with a large group to socialize from time to time.

Either one would be just fine.