Back For More Information Please/Formal Nights

Lois R

Good morning folks:D..........I started a roll call and there is one other gal and I.......we have been chatting and are both

sailing solo.....we are thinking about do a couple of Specialty Restaurants together and I have a question about formal nights.

We are sailing from August 9-18th and I know August 10th (2nd day) is a sea day. Would any of you know if that would be

formal night? We were thinking of going to Stars that night but if formal night offers a "more enticing menu" in the main

dining room then we could always choose another evening for Specialty. And would you know how many formal nights

would be on a 9 night cruise?

Again, thanks for the help:)

Good morning folks:D..........I started a roll call and there is one other gal and I.......we have been chatting and are both

sailing solo.....we are thinking about do a couple of Specialty Restaurants together and I have a question about formal nights.

We are sailing from August 9-18th and I know August 10th (2nd day) is a sea day. Would any of you know if that would be

formal night? We were thinking of going to Stars that night but if formal night offers a "more enticing menu" in the main

dining room then we could always choose another evening for Specialty. And would you know how many formal nights

would be on a 9 night cruise?

Again, thanks for the help:)

On a 9-day cruise there should only be 1 formal night. Personally I'd probably go to the main dining room if there was only the one night and try the other restaurants on other evenings. That's not to say Stars is bad or wouldn't be a good choice and, in fact, we very much enjoy Stars and are looking forward to it in November.

Hi Randy, thanks:)...I understand part of your answer....but I guess I need to find out what night will be formal night....will

chat with my TA.

Hi Randy, thanks:)...I understand part of your answer....but I guess I need to find out what night will be formal night....will

chat with my TA.

I'm a bit confused by you saying your second day is a sea day as the itinerary I see on Silversea for your cruise shows you in Palma de Mallorca that day. My guess would actually be Saturday, 12 August as the itinerary shows you leaving Ibiza at 2 PM which would permit plenty of time to rest and prepare for a formal evening.

I'm a bit confused by you saying your second day is a sea day as the itinerary I see on Silversea for your cruise shows you in Palma de Mallorca that day. My guess would actually be Saturday, 12 August as the itinerary shows you leaving Ibiza at 2 PM which would permit plenty of time to rest and prepare for a formal evening.

Hey Randy:)........you are right and I guess I was looking at the website incorrectly:eek:.....thanks for the correction.

Your Mysilversea will show the formal nights as you get within 120 days.

Ohhh..ok, thank you. I will keep looking......right now it says the cruise is 129 days away:)........so I only have 9

more days to wait!

Ohhh..ok, thank you. I will keep looking......right now it says the cruise is 129 days away:)........so I only have 9

more days to wait!

Just keep looking at itinerary page, just under the dates. I will display the word Formal under the date number on the left side.

• 2 weeks later...
How many formal nights on a 15-night cruise to Antarctica? Are passengers as formal on expedition cruises as they are on non-expedition cruises?

The Silver Explorer has not had formal nights at all, so IME, the answer is no, they are not as formal. We've been on three cruises on the Explorer, and people may dress up a little on the Captain's welcome and farewell nights (perhaps 50% with jacket and tie), but I never saw a formal tux or dress. I will toss a jacket and a tie into my suitcase, but that's more because it's chilly at the poles. I can't remember if I brought one to the Panama Canal cruise on Explorer...probably? But I never felt like I desperately needed one.

Dress at other times is casual. Khakis and a button-down shirt is quite sufficient at dinner. Sometimes I'd just put on a pullover sweater for dinner. Breakfast and lunch were even more casual; jeans were just fine. You have to be ready to run outside at any time if there's a cool wildlife sighting, so the ball gowns and heels might interfere with that... ;)

I'm not sure whether things will be different on board Silver Cloud as an expedition ship. If they stay consistent, then there probably won't be any formal nights. But we'll have to wait and see.

PS. I looked at your signature. Be warned...we also had lots of experience with Princess (and Oceania) prior to our first SS cruise, which was an expedition trip to Antarctica back in 2009. You may never want to go back to a mainstream cruise line...

... PS. I looked at your signature. Be warned...we also had lots of experience with Princess (and Oceania) prior to our first SS cruise, which was an expedition trip to Antarctica back in 2009. You may never want to go back to a mainstream cruise line...

LOL, I've been trying to get Cheryl to expand her cruising options a bit. ;-) So now we've done a cruise on the Royal Clipper (Star Cilppers cruise line) as a treat for me, and will soon do a Norway cruise on Princess (European cruise for me, compromise on Princess for some familiarity for her), and in 2018 an Antarctic cruise on Silverseas (since on Princess ships go there). We've talked about some possible river cruises. I think we'll be a bit more adventurous from here on....

But gosh, the prices are different than Princess! Personally I think it is worth it but it does stress her out some.

LOL, it's all my fault anyway, I twisted her arm to go on a cruise for the first time when we went to Florida for my Brothers wedding. The Voyager of the Seas totally amazed her! Boy, did I create a monster. ;-)

Just keep looking at itinerary page, just under the dates. I will display the word Formal under the date number on the left side.

You are so correct.:)......there is formal night now listed on the itinerary and I was able to book all my dining choices.:D

Hi Randy, Formal night is the 2nd evening. I booked my Specialty Restaurants and the first 2 nights I will eat in the main

dining room.

Then I am doing other restaurants nights throughout the cruise. Hopefully everything will work out just fine:)

Hi Randy, Formal night is the 2nd evening. I booked my Specialty Restaurants and the first 2 nights I will eat in the main

dining room.

Then I am doing other restaurants nights throughout the cruise. Hopefully everything will work out just fine:)

Kind of our typical routine. Enjoy.....and I'm glad I guessed well. 😬