Silly Question about Disney Cruise Etiquette

HalloweenBaby77

Is it rude to wear swimwear with a Universal character theme? I just got my little one the cutest super man swim shorts and top. We cruise the Dream in May and it didn't even dawn on me until it arrived in the mail that it's a Disney competitor. They did also have Captain America but he had that set last year so I was just going for something different. He does also have Cars (hand me down from big brother) and some that are more generic.

Laugh at me if you want but I don't want to offend!

Is it rude to wear swimwear with a Universal character theme? I just got my little one the cutest super man swim shorts and top. We cruise the Dream in May and it didn't even dawn on me until it arrived in the mail that it's a Disney competitor. They did also have Captain America but he had that set last year so I was just going for something different. He does also have Cars (hand me down from big brother) and some that are more generic.

Laugh at me if you want but I don't want to offend!

I doubt if anyone will really even notice. If they do, it's their issue, not yours.

When I was packing for a Princess cruise, I realized how many of my "cruising" shirts are from DCL. Yes, I did leave those at home.

Bottom line, no one will care what your child's swimwear looks like provided that he has it on and he is in an age appropriate location.

no worse than your wearing a shirt from another cruise line

and I see that all the time

folks proudly saying, "I've cruised more than you"

don't worry about it :cool:

So it's a problem that I wore my DCL Med cruise shirt on our recent Princess cruise? Oops!

So it's a problem that I wore my DCL Med cruise shirt on our recent Princess cruise? Oops!

Well, they didn't toss you overboard, so not too big a faux pas, I guess. Still, it does seem rather rude to opt to wear a competitor's shirt. Sorry, but I do see a difference between a little kid sporting his favorite character (regardless of "family" of origin) compared to an adult choosing to take along shirts openly advertising the competition...or perhaps it is bragging about their cruise experiences.

Well' date=' they didn't toss you overboard, so not too big a faux pas, I guess. Still, it does seem rather rude to opt to wear a competitor's shirt. Sorry, but I do see a difference between a little kid sporting his favorite character (regardless of "family" of origin) compared to an adult choosing to take along shirts openly advertising the competition...or perhaps it is bragging about their cruise experiences.[/quote']

Actually I wear that shirt a lot. It's a very muted image (dull gold on beige) and it goes well with a pair of pants I typically bring on trips.

You really can't tell what it says on it unless you look close. And, in fact, the "DCL cruise" logo is mostly tucked in my waistband. You only see the compass and port names at the top of the shirt.

no worse than your wearing a shirt from another cruise line

and I see that all the time

folks proudly saying, "I've cruised more than you"

don't worry about it :cool:

I'm sorry, but that's silly to assume that is why the person is wearing it. I bought a cheap hat on the Carnival Breeze that has the ships name on it. I keep it in my beach bag to wear anytime I'm by the pool. It was cheap and I don't care if it gets wet, ruined or blown away. I took it on my Disney cruise for that reason only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wore my DCL lanyard on a Princess cruise because they are the only lanyards I have and I'm not going to buy one when I have a handful. If Princess had chosen to give me one, I'd happily have worn theirs. Since they didn't, I wore what I had.

On the other hand, I have a many t-shirts that don't advertise the competition, so I chose to pack those.

I wouldn't think it's an issue in any way. We wore Disney stuff when visiting Universal in Florida, and got decked out in Harry Potter robes on the Disney Fantasy for halloween. IMO wear what you like. If I'm actually representing the organisation, then obviously yes stay on theme. Otherwise I'll wear what I like. Unless they're giving me free stuff, in which case YAY FREE STUFF I WILL WEAR IT

No one is going to care............The only thing that could be a issue is if the shirt is off color or dirty. CM'S have been known to ask guests to change their shirts then. That I have seen and rightfully so.

Wow, I wish they'd been around on one of our cruises. There was a large group at the other table at our server's station. Each night they showed up in what I consider to be undershirts and icky jeans or shorts, had obviously been drinking, and proceeded to order more alcohol and be quite loud and inappropriate with the female server. In addition to rude speech, they would change seats several times during the meal, send food back routinely, etc. The only action I saw was that the head server essentially took over our table. When I thanked her, she only said that she couldn't allow our table to be neglected because another table was so demanding.

Wow' date=' I wish they'd been around on one of our cruises. There was a large group at the other table at our server's station. Each night they showed up in what I consider to be undershirts and icky jeans or shorts, had obviously been drinking, and proceeded to order more alcohol and be quite loud and inappropriate with the female server. In addition to rude speech, they would change seats several times during the meal, send food back routinely, etc. The only action I saw was that the head server essentially took over our table. When I thanked her, she only said that she couldn't allow our table to be neglected because another table was so demanding.[/quote']

I wish our head server had done that on my Magic cruise in Feb. Our server and assistant were fantastic, but it did seem like our meals were taking a while. The final night I got to see why. There was a large table (larger than usual, so I'm guessing it was a family group) who while dressed nicely and not drinking to excess, had to call the server and/or assistant over every single time they saw him. It was another drink for mom 1, then ketchup for kid 4 (and I don't mean they wanted a bottle...they wanted it put on the plate for the kid - who was perfectly capable of dumping her own ketchup based on everything else I could see her doing), then kid 3 wanted cheese for his broccoli, and now kids 2 and 6 need more soda, and dads 1, 2, and 3 need a drink, and so forth and so on. It was really ridiculous. Even if the server or assistant had plates of food for other tables, they thought nothing of stopping him and demanding something. It was really ridiculous. And exacerbated by the fact that our regular server was sick, so our assistant was working with someone else so the rhythm was off anyway. The head server did bother to come around and apologize for dinner taking so long, but didn't seem to do anything to help matters.

The worst part was this was the final night, and my dad was so worried about changing, packing what he had on (at least the shoes as there was no room in their carry-on for them), and getting the luggage out (we had onboard airline check-in, so it had to be out for sure by a certain point) he couldn't even enjoy dinner and skipped dessert.

That's really too bad. We've noticed that as more of the head servers have come up thru the ranks, they are more likely to recognize a problem and step in themselves to assist a serving team. Early on (we started on the Magic in 1998), the head servers strutted around like overseers or didn't show up at all except to collect their tips. Since many have been promoted within DCL, they are a lot more friendly to guests and helpful to other crew members.

Unfortunately, there is no real solution to guests being demanding or unthinking (like can't you request a round of beverages for the table rather than for 2 people now and when the assistant brings those, suddenly 2 other people need refills?) Everyone is entitled to excellent service. One can facilitate that service by using one's brain just a little! And much as we enjoy watching the servers interact with kids, sometimes it does seem to interfere with service to adult only tables.

That's really too bad. We've noticed that as more of the head servers have come up thru the ranks' date=' they are more likely to recognize a problem and step in themselves to assist a serving team. Early on (we started on the Magic in 1998), the head servers strutted around like overseers or didn't show up at all except to collect their tips. Since many have been promoted within DCL, they are a lot more friendly to guests and helpful to other crew members.

Unfortunately, there is no real solution to guests being demanding or unthinking (like can't you request a round of beverages for the table rather than for 2 people now and when the assistant brings those, suddenly 2 other people need refills?) Everyone is entitled to excellent service. One can facilitate that service by using one's brain just a little! And much as we enjoy watching the servers interact with kids, sometimes it does seem to interfere with service to adult only tables.[/quote']

Yeah. Other than Daddy leaving dinner early that night we didn't let it affect anything. When Mom and I got back to the cabins (I'd run back to put my checked bag out because I knew I had enough room in my carry-on for my flat sandals and sundress - they live in TN and I'm in NYC, so me carrying Daddy's shoes wasn't an option), he'd already filled out the comment card, but he did not mention the issue because at that point I hadn't told them that a large table was monopolizing the servers - he had chalked the slowness up to a "team-for-a-night" that wasn't used to working together because one regular server was sick...and you can't help when you get sick. He left it as-was, but I mentioned it in an email after the cruise so that the issue can be brought up with the head server to be more aware of what is going on in the section. I don't know if he was new or at the end of his contract and having "end of contractitis" but he was the least involved head server I've had on DCL - and this was my first time cruising them being gluten-free, so I was honestly shocked he didn't come over the first night (yes, it was noted on my reservation). But our server was super great and knowledgable so I felt safe trusting him with my orders. (As a note, even the person shoreside who responded to my email was shocked it took until the second night for him to visit a table with a noted food allergy/need - it is definitely NOT the norm.)

You are right--that is not the norm. We've always seen the head server on the first night when we've had someone with special food needs in our party. I have no explanation for what was happening on your cruise, but glad you are aware that it is not DCL's usual service level.

You are right--that is not the norm. We've always seen the head server on the first night when we've had someone with special food needs in our party. I have no explanation for what was happening on your cruise' date=' but glad you are aware that it is not DCL's usual service level.[/quote']

Yeah. It was my 4th Disney cruise. So though I hadn't experienced it, I knew from other friends' experiences that SOP is for the head server to come over the first night - and often all orders have to be run through him or her. Like I said, we were lucky with Aditya that he was on the ball and knew what I could and couldn't have - and even had the chef adapt the caramel apple sundae in Carioca's for me without my even asking and before we ordered! (Cannot say the same for even the HEAD server on the fathom Adonia who more than once allowed me to order something that was NOT gluten-free which meant the servers at whatever section I'd been seated in that night (it's all first-come, first-seated on that ship) scrambling to figure out if there was a way to get it adapted or else have me order something else.)

DCL is great for altering recipes to account for allergies or other issues, particularly if you can give them a few hours notice. They can be good on short notice, but great if given a little time.

Yes, most servers are pretty good with allergy issues, but ultimately the head server is the responsible dude, in cooperation with the chef. And when traveling with friends with allergy issues, we've always had either the head server or the chef come over on the first night. The big thing is to be sure that they understand the allergy. "Gluten free" is pretty standard and easy for them to understand, while if someone notes that they are "allergic to turkey," the chef will want to know about other poultry and will specifically ask.

DCL is great for altering recipes to account for allergies or other issues' date=' particularly if you can give them a few hours notice. They can be good on short notice, but great if given a little time.

Yes, most servers are pretty good with allergy issues, but ultimately the head server is the responsible dude, in cooperation with the chef. And when traveling with friends with allergy issues, we've always had either the head server or the chef come over on the first night. The big thing is to be sure that they understand the allergy. "Gluten free" is pretty standard and easy for them to understand, while if someone notes that they are "allergic to turkey," the chef will want to know about other poultry and will specifically ask.[/quote']

Exactly. If I even bothered noting peanuts anymore I would have definitely wanted to explain that it is ONLY an issue if I ingest them (and then it is not anaphylactic - just an annoying rash). I am fine with things "produced in a facility" with them. As such, and because of the hassle the time it WAS noted on my reservation, I no longer note it, and if I have a question about something I'll ask if it has peanuts. (My exception to not noting it is for a tour I'm considering taking sailing around the various Ko islands of Thailand because I know how prominent peanuts are in their food. THAT one I'm noting it.)