What is "Ephesus Theme Park"? New on Ephesus excursions

Most of the Celebrity (and other cruise lines) shore excursions in Kusadasi include a trip to the "Ephesus Theme park". When we went in 2010, we saw the carpet demonstration and sales pitch. But this is new...

Can someone post a review of what it is once they experience it this year?

Thanks.

Tracy

Wow, never heard of that. I just Googled it, and came up with this from (ironically) Disney Cruise Line:

After your Ephesus visit, stop at the Ephesus park, a themed re-creation of the city of Ephesus with shopping, restaurants and interactive experiences, for lunch and an exclusive interactive show.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/ephesus-turkey/highlights-of-ephesus-with-lunch/

Maybe others can say if that's what the OP is asking about. Pretty sad to think the real thing isn't enough! (And another good reason to use a private tour operator.)

Sorry, but trying to keep from laughing long enough to type this post. I read the thread to DW whose immediate reaction was "please promise not to take me there!" I should mention that her comment was about this new "attraction" and not about Kusadasi. We have been to Kusadasi quite a few times, taken tours, gone on our own, rented cars, etc. DW and I really enjoy Turkey and the Kusadasi area is a joy. But we do not go to Turkey for "themed re-creations" of anything! Too funny.

We really enjoy the Turks and they can be a lot of fun. But these people are fantastic entrepreneurs and are always developing new ways to separate tourists from their money (kind of like cruise ship executives). One more "attraction" where one can buy a "flying carpet," perhaps a "genuine Turkish hand made carpet.....made in China, or maybe a new "genuine fake watches" store. Just what they need. I expect to soon find a good New York Deli in Kusadasi where they make great pastrami. Now, if we could just teach them how to make a good bagel.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We saw the "fake genuine watches" sign last visit -- we still laugh about that one when showing people the pictures of the trip! :)

I'd prefer to do a private tour, but my wife is afraid of something happening and us missing the ship. Of course, we're doing other private excursions in other "smaller" ports, so ...

Hopefully someone posts info after seeing/experiencing it.

I'd prefer to do a private tour, but my wife is afraid of something happening and us missing the ship. Of course, we're doing other private excursions in other "smaller" ports, so ...

Hopefully someone posts info after seeing/experiencing it.

There are several highly recommended private tour agencies in Kusadasi. I will be going on my 4th private tour there in October, with never a concern. (Besides tours to Ephesus from Kusadasi are generally not a full day....) I strongly urge you to consider it, you'll have a much better experience with a small group.

BTW: Ugh, the "theme park" idea sounds horrible. Just what we need, the Disneyfication of ancient history. :rolleyes:

There are several highly recommended private tour agencies in Kusadasi. I will be going on my 4th private tour there in October, with never a concern. (Besides tours to Ephesus from Kusadasi are generally not a full day....) I strongly urge you to consider it, you'll have a much better experience with a small group.

BTW: Ugh, the "theme park" idea sounds horrible. Just what we need, the Disneyfication of ancient history. :rolleyes:

I strongly agree with you on both counts!

Sounds like it could be this place: Cittantica Ephesus Park. They also have a Facebook page. Not sure if they're fully operational yet.

Along the lines of scheming local people trying to make a quick buck off dumb tourists, there are worse offenders in the Kuşadası area. It looks like someone put a lot of money and effort into this project, and I wouldn't mind checking it out one day. I don't expect it to be a fully accurate historical reconstruction, and there is something weird about Turkish people dressing up as ancient Greeks and Romans and early Christians, but it can't be any worse than the shows they put on at Ephesus already.

Sounds like it could be this place: Cittantica Ephesus Park. They also have a Facebook page. Not sure if they're fully operational yet.

Along the lines of scheming local people trying to make a quick buck off dumb tourists, there are worse offenders in the Kuşadası area. It looks like someone put a lot of money and effort into this project, and I wouldn't mind checking it out one day. I don't expect it to be a fully accurate historical reconstruction, and there is something weird about Turkish people dressing up as ancient Greeks and Romans and early Christians, but it can't be any worse than the shows they put on at Ephesus already.

I haven't been to any shows at Ephesus, but this definitely looks like something to avoid, at least for me.

I haven't been to any shows at Ephesus, but this definitely looks like something to avoid, at least for me.

Cruisemom, I've read enough of your postings to to know this would not be to your liking probably, but if you're interested, you can view the "show" that was done in 2011 when I was there twice (I could only tolerate the show once). I was on a ship excursion both times and the timing was coordinated with the tour company because we were set free after the amphitheater to explore on our own but told to not miss the show at xx o'clock. The show is worth a chuckle, maybe.

You can see it starting at about the 4:38 minute point in this video:

Edited by MeHeartCruising

• 2 months later...

I just googled cittantica Ephesus park

I would do this if we ever get back there

For those saying its just a money maker. Well of course it is why else would they build it! Lol

While it might not be like Williamsburg Va. It could be interesting to be thrown back into day to day ancient times. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

We went on a tour of Ephesus with a company I would HIGHLY recommend! The company is called ephesusdeluxe.com. You can find them at wwww.ephesusdeluxe.com. The contact person was Mr. Deniz Kose and you can reach him at the above email. I would also highly recommend our tour guide whose name was Gizem Cakirgoz and can be contacted at gizem@ephesusdeluxe.com. She has an advanced degree in tourism and has worked as an intern with the archeologists at Ephesus. She was extremely knowledgeable and engaging. Every person on our tour was captivated during the entire day long tour. We had a group of 8 people and the cost was $65.00 US (the cost will vary based on the number of people in your group) and you could pay in Euro’s or credit card as well. The tour included a visit to the House of the Virgin Mary, Ephesus: Odeon, Temple of Hadrian, Roman Baths, and the fountain of Trajan, Celsius Library, Theater and the Terrace Houses. We also saw the Temple of Artemis, St. John’s Basiclica and stopped at the Sirince Village. The tour included lunch as part of the price and we ate at Selcuk Koftecisi in the village of Selcuk. The lunch had a number of Turkish starter’s i.e. vegetable combinations and salads and they served Lamb and Beef Kabobs for the main course. The great thing about this tour was that in addition to lunch, all entrance fees were also included. Towards the end of our all day tour, the tour guide Gizem, really encouraged us to stop and see how authentic Turkish rugs were made. She took us to a school which is government run and trains the local woman how to do the double knotted traditional Turkish carpets. Because it is government run, there was absolutely no pressure to purchase any rugs. Instead of the stereotypical image of what happens at Turkish carpet demonstrations, at this location, there was more concern about us becoming educated about this ancient tradition and the art of carpet making. While on the tour, we saw how the silk was used to create thread from the silk worms as well as were able to watch women doing the carpet weaving. We also learned how to tell the authentic rugs from imposters. Although our group was initially skeptical, all agreed, they were very impressed with the carpet making demonstration and the other information that we learned from the gentlemen who gave us the tour. Again, I cannot stress how highly I would recommend using this company and especially our tour guide Gizem Cakirgoz!