Greenock, Scotland

My husband and I are will be sailing on Princess's Royal Princess from Copenhagen on Sept. 10.

We are looking for some guidance as to what to do when we dock in Greenock, Scotland as we do not have a tour booked.

Can anyone out there provide assistance.

gusjakefred (Carol) :)

My husband and I are will be sailing on Princess's Royal Princess from Copenhagen on Sept. 10.

We are looking for some guidance as to what to do when we dock in Greenock, Scotland as we do not have a tour booked.

Can anyone out there provide assistance.

gusjakefred (Carol) :)

Do you mean you definitely won't do a tour or just that you haven't booked one yet?

if you are interested in a private tour several local companies offer it and Loch Lomond and the Trossachs is worthwhile for great scenery.

If you don't want to do a tour, I would suggest getting a taxi to the station (Greenock Central) then taking the train into Glasgow. There is a hop-on, hop-off bus you could do, but it is also the birthplace of the architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh and there are lots of beautiful buildings both inside and out, where you can appreciate his work.

http://www.crmsociety.com/

The Burrell Collection is worth a visit http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/burrell-collection/Pages/default.aspx

as is Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/kelvingrove/Pages/default.aspx

Have some other ideas if you say what your interests are

Edited by tartanexile81

Thank you so much for your invaluable information. We have interest in so many things. We were thinking of doing the taxi/train thing into Glasgow. I was worried about timing though. I will also look at those tour companies. I believe we were not able to book anything directly on Princess which is no big deal as you can find better alternatives.

gusjakefred (Carol)

If you check out this website, you will see that there is a regular train service from Greenock Central to Glasgow Central and the fast trains only take 30 minutes so I wouldn't think twice about it.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Some people even go to Edinburgh by train from Greenock.

I also have a suggestion. Greenrock has a wonderful volunteer organization called Inverclyde Tourism Group, I believe. Just Google it. The group offers 3 different tours. We took the one to Newark Castle. Our group of four thought it was excellent. We left from the dock in a small coach. Our guides gave us the history of the area, pointing out areas of interest on the way. The castle tour was great as it has some interesting history. Trip Advisor describes Newark Castle as "a hidden gem, off the beaten path." I would agree. The cost for the tour was a 5 pound donation per person to Inverclyde and 4.50 pound admission to the castle. The tour takes 2-2 1/2 hours. Afterwards, we received a recommendation for lunch and spent the rest of our day exploring the town. The museums are free.

If you're interested they do have a website giving details on the three tours they offer. They do take advance reservations or you can register in the welcome center (right where you dock) when you arrive. This is such a friendly place, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Just returned from a cruise with stop in Greenock. We didnot want to travel to Glasgow and stayed in Greenock.

Indeed we also made one of those FREE tours there. We went to visit a very nice old church, a great viewpoint and the townhall of Greenock. Donations are requested since the volunteers hire a bus. This tour took 2 hours. More details on this website, check free tours: http://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/

There is a small charge for the tour going to the castle, since there is an entrance fee there.

Edited by Ine

Bus is pretty easy to find, or just ask someone as to where the stop is. Bus has a reliable WiFi hook-up and the scenery is pretty interesting. Get off at the Bus Terminal in Glasgow, but do pick up a schedule to properly plan for your return trip. On the way back from Glasgow just tell the driver you need to get off at the Ocean terminal in Greenock. The bus driver will announce that stop.

Figure about an hour each way of course depending on traffic. The Ho-Ho bus stop is just across teh street from the bus terminal.

Hope this helps.

SAS

I was last in Greenock 35 years ago. Unless there has been a major transformation, I would say that happiness is Greenock in your rear view mirror.

The obvious thing to do is to go to Glasgow, but if you want something more low key, then a trip towards the Ayrshire Coast is very nice.

To a Merryscot

If is 35 years since you were last in Greenock, I don't think you are qualified to pass comment. Greenock has changed considerably since you were last there and while it may not compare favourably with Chelsea or Mayfair it has developed into a rather pleasant town. If you take the time to read some of The British Isle cruise reviews you will find a large number of Americans pass very favourable comments about their visit to Greenock and their reception at that port.

Bus is pretty easy to find, or just ask someone as to where the stop is. Bus has a reliable WiFi hook-up and the scenery is pretty interesting. Get off at the Bus Terminal in Glasgow, but do pick up a schedule to properly plan for your return trip. On the way back from Glasgow just tell the driver you need to get off at the Ocean terminal in Greenock. The bus driver will announce that stop.

Figure about an hour each way of course depending on traffic. The Ho-Ho bus stop is just across teh street from the bus terminal.

Hope this helps.

SAS

I apperciate the feedback. The bus to Glasgow sounds right for us.

I did not know about the HOHO bus stop at the terminal. Thank you for sharing the info.

I think we will go to Glasgow first thing, then return after lunch. That should allow a bit of time in Greenock, too.

Hi Starry eyes

I may be wrong but I think the post regarding the HOHO bus refers to the Bus Station/Terminal in Glasgow, as far as I am aware there is no HOHO bus service in a Greenock. I do hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland.

Thanks, though I did understand that the HOHO was in Glasgow, my poor phrased previous post might have confused somebody else. I am not sure now if we will explore Glasgow on foot or if we will take advantage of the handy HOHO. We like to walk, but if we feel more like riding that day it is nice to know where to catch the HOHO.

Hi again starry eyes

If you take the train from Greenock it takes you into Glasgow Central Station, exit the main entrance onto Gordon street turn right and walk forwards until you come to West Nile Street, turn left onto West Nile Street walk forward until you come to St Vincent Street turn right onto st Vincent Street walk forward until you come to George Square and you will see the HOHO bus stopAcross on the far side of the square you have Glasgow City Chambers(City Hall) they have guided tours inside and it has a marvellous marble staircase, it is only a 5 minute walk. If you have any questions re Greenock or Glasgow just post and I will try and answer.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers