Any help trying to plan a Mediterranean cruise?

hrmkr

I just read a post saying how horrible the Epic is. Now I'm worried.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Forums mobile app

On these forums you will hear good and bad about every ship out there. Epic, has lots to do. Entertainment is great, staff is great. Go to Reviews at the top of cruise critic. Type in Norwegian Epic. It gets a 4.5 out of 5. I would say that is pretty good.

hrmkr: How are you doing? Made any decisions yet? I'm feeling guilty about stealing your thread, but the people have been pretty helpful to me. Want to join me on the Epic? (If we end up booking on her?) It seems like Rome would have plenty to see pre or post cruise.

hrmkr: How are you doing? Made any decisions yet? I'm feeling guilty about stealing your thread, but the people have been pretty helpful to me. Want to join me on the Epic? (If we end up booking on her?) It seems like Rome would have plenty to see pre or post cruise.

lisagro: We are still looking around. Been a little busy so haven't done much lately. Just reading everyone's recommendations and advice. I really need to read the Rick Steves' "Mediterranean Cruise Ports book.

So, you inviting us to go along? You buying?:D Owner's suite or nothing!!

That's funny, hrmkr! If I was paying, we wouldn't even be going! I told my mom that, instead of leaving us money when she leaves this earth, we would rather enjoy spending it with her while she is here! She would like to see Europe, and I , being a cruise addict, saw the opportunity to convert her to my way of life! But I am trying to do it in the least expensive way possible while still having a wonderful experience. And my brother has to come along... I don't bring in too much dough as a substitute teacher (retired in December), and my husband works his tail off and always worries that his company will go under if he takes a day off! So, no owner's suite for us! I have been looking at lots of places that offer tours and transfers, including shared tours to be as economical as possible.

Maybe someone else has mentioned this but the Mediterranean is hotter than Hades in the summer time. I was there in the end of July 2015 and about melted. I think the Acropolis in Athens (no shade, all stone) was about 400,000,000 degrees. Rome was almost as hot. Every one of these places was extremely humid too. I will never go back in June, July or August. I'll go back and there are some great itineraries, but no way will i do it mid summer. Go to the Baltic, Alaska or British Isles in the summer.

Amen .... 2013 we did Med. cruise last week of July and first week of Aug. NEVER AGAIN. The heat AND humidity. Too much. Also, the kids!!! Too many ... it being school vacation.

Amen .... 2013 we did Med. cruise last week of July and first week of Aug. NEVER AGAIN. The heat AND humidity. Too much. Also, the kids!!! Too many ... it being school vacation.

I agree July and August unless you are a sun worshipper is a definite no for a Mediterranean cruise.

Planning for April/May. Weather should be nice. Waiting for results on my Mom's thyroid biopsy-- supposed to be back tomorrow.

Hope your mam is fine.

RC have a good selection of cruises in the Mediterranean during May when the weather is perfect.

lisagro, I have been three times to Europe and Med in May. Best weather mid 70's and the day we went to Athens it was maybe 80. The seas are very calm in the Med. Most of the time you can't feel the ship moving. One thing I can tell you about NCL Epic; the cabins are a little smaller than on other ships or other lines

I have looked at most of the the cruise lines, and I think I like the itinerary for the Epic best. Mom's neck is "suspicious", so thyroid needs to go. Doc says that she should be fine for April/May, but not sure if we should book now and assure our spot and price, or wait till after surgery and make sure everything is alright.

I have looked at most of the the cruise lines, and I think I like the itinerary for the Epic best. Mom's neck is "suspicious", so thyroid needs to go. Doc says that she should be fine for April/May, but not sure if we should book now and assure our spot and price, or wait till after surgery and make sure everything is alright.

Get travel insurance either way and you are covered.

Get travel insurance either way and you are covered.

If its a pre-existing condition travel insurance may not pay. She should double check before she buys it

If she has not been diagnosed with cancer now, but is later, and that makes her have to cancel (unlikely), would it be covered if she knew there was a possibility of her having cancer?

I would speak to the insurance company and keep records of time,who you spoke to and advice given.

I would make sure your travel insurance has cruise included in the policy.

Hope things work out for you and your mam is okay.

Best wishes

Graham&Pauline.

I would speak to the insurance company and keep records of time,who you spoke to and advice given.

I would make sure your travel insurance has cruise included in the policy.

Hope things work out for you and your mam is okay.

Best wishes

Graham&Pauline.

Good advice.

A lot of misinfo here above re: "preexisting condition."

With very few exceptions (so read the fine print), insurance companies "lookback" X months from the day you buy the policy. If something medical has appeared/changed in that "lookback" (new dx, rx, surgery et al.), those new or changed issues are the "preexisting conditions."

If after you've purchased the policy and throughout your travels (the total coverage period), you have a medical issue that is somehow related to one of those preexisting conditions (e.g., post surgery complication, worsening of your issue requiring additional tx, rx, etc.) and that issue is the basis for a claim on that policy, you are SOL unless you secured a "waiver" of PEC by complying with the company's requirements for timely policy purchase (within X days or weeks of cruise deposit).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums