Things to do at the Pier

At Sea 4Ever

What is directly at the pier or in walking distance of the pier. Will be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas and was wondering what there is to do or see when you get off the ship. Any comments are appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is directly at the pier or in walking distance of the pier. Will be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas and was wondering what there is to do or see when you get off the ship. Any comments are appreciated!

Nothing that I saw. A ten minute taxi ride took me to carlye bay beaches so that is where I went.

There is a little market right there. I think you can walk further on a board walk. Don't you want to do something. Like go to the beach?

Def want to do an excursion just trying to figure out if we also need to allow time for walking around the pier.

On the dock there is a Shopping Mall manly for Cruise Passengers with free WIFI but not much else. 10 min walk is the Cricket Oval (there might be a game going on) 20 min walk is the "Mount Gay Rum" Visitor Center

and about 30 min walk is the City of Bridgetown.

For shopping there is a large shopping mall at the ship terminal with regular type decent shops.

LuLu

Agree! I love that terminal! I buy several bottles of the best vanilla there each trip! You can also get cans of pop for normal prices to bring back on the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would recommend taking a walk to Bridgetown there are stores and some interesting buildings to see. Bridgetown and its surrounding areas have recently been designated a world heritage site by Unesco and its parliament buildings are probably the oldest in the western hemisphere.

I would like to note here that the walk to Bridgetown is no where near the 30/40 minutes being given by other posters.:eek:

Unless you have mobility issues or are just an extremely sloooww walker then you are looking at about 10-15 minutes depending on how fast you walk and maybe 20 if you really take your time.

Hope you enjoy your visit whatever you decide to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Keith, what do you consider downtown? Google Maps has walking directions that say it's 23 minutes to walk to Parliament.

The same as I consider downtown, it's not a building but the whole CBD (Central Business District)...Look at that map:

http://www.mappery.com/maps/Bridgetown-Tourist-Map.jpg

The parliament is at the far right of this map; not on the map but indicated is on the far left the port and for me and probably also for Keith

Downtown starts about where you see "Bank of Butterfield" and goes on till the Parliament. So 15 min walk to the start of Downtown is about right and you'll need then the 8 min to cross Downtown (if you just walk and don't browse through every shop there is on Broad Street).

The same as I consider downtown, it's not a building but the whole CBD (Central Business District)...Look at that map:

http://www.mappery.com/maps/Bridgetown-Tourist-Map.jpg

The parliament is at the far right of this map; not on the map but indicated is on the far left the port and for me and probably also for Keith

Downtown starts about where you see "Bank of Butterfield" and goes on till the Parliament. So 15 min walk to the start of Downtown is about right and you'll need then the 8 min to cross Downtown (if you just walk and don't browse through every shop there is on Broad Street).

Onyx007...you are quite correct in your assessment. I don't know how the folks that do google maps come up with their times/distances but the walk from Butterfield Bank (now First Citizens Bank) to the parliament buildings is only an 8 minute walk if you are a Turtle:D:). Seriously it is no more than 3/4 minutes tops.

Keith, what do you consider downtown? Google Maps has walking directions that say it's 23 minutes to walk to Parliament.

Downtown technically would start from lower broad street but the map provided by onyx007 while a bit outdated is pretty accurate in the location of everything. The scale used however may make things appear further(distance wise) than they actually are. If you follow the map starting from Butterfield Bank (now First Citizens) you will see the parliament buildings in less than 20 minutes after you have left the port. ( see my response on Onyx)

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions/concerns.