Opinions on Waldorf Astoria in Rome

volinder

Astoria is the ex cavalieri hilton is a fantastic hotel located on montemario hill one of neighbor most beautiful of rome. Very close to the vatican. Is a little bit expensive if your budget is ok i suggest to book it. It's very very nice hotel out of busy traffic immersed in a green area of Rome

Agree totally with this description. A very nice 5 star hotel. We have stayed there a couple of times. Highly recommended. Didn't find it's location a negative at all, as a shuttle takes you to near the Spanish Steps, and much of the rest of the main areas of Rome are walkable.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree totally with this description. A very nice 5 star hotel. We have stayed there a couple of times. Highly recommended. Didn't find it's location a negative at all, as a shuttle takes you to near the Spanish Steps, and much of the rest of the main areas of Rome are walkable.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm fully aware of the fact that it is a 20 minute shuttle ride away from the the heart of rome. We are visiting Rome twice, before and after the cruise. We are planning on staying at the Waldorf on the way there and then staying at a hotel right in rome on the way back. I personally like the idea that it is secluded and a bit away from the traffic of Rome.

I stayed there for 4 nights 4 years ago. If you are doing a points stay, it is great. The grounds are amazing, lots of sculpture. It is a great place to sit outside at night, sipping a nice glass of wine, and gaze out over the city. It is on the highest point in Rome. I had the lowest category of room and I was very comfortable. They even have a pillow menu with over 10 different choices!!! I had complimentary breakfast buffet included in my rate - it was an excellent selection of items. I was a tad put off by some of the Americans in shorts and logo'd Tshirts (from concerts, colleges, sports teams), loading up their plates like they were having their Last Supper though… Make use of the concierge staff - excellent team. I used them pre-arrival to arrange some dinner reservations for me. After talking to one of them about La Pergola (no way could I afford to eat there), he arranged for me to be able to go up there and take some photos. They have shuttles that will take you down to Piazza Barberini - from there you can walk or take the Metro. I did a combination of the shuttle and taxis; I just built in the price of the taxis into what I knew I would have to pay.

If you are not doing a points stay, I do not know if I would stay there just because of that location. If you are wedded to Hilton, though, go for it. That was why I was there (I was an employee on a stay that I won), and why I now stay at another worldwide chain's set of hotels when I travel (great employee rates). I haven't hear much good information on the other Hilton in town; I love the airport Hilton for my early flight days, but that is the only reason I stay there.

With the kiddos, the pool will be a good addition for your stay. I always saw families down there. Let the kids cool off and "play" after the day. One thing - when I was there, even hotel guests had to pay to use the pool, so check on that.

With the kiddos, the pool will be a good addition for your stay. I always saw families down there. Let the kids cool off and "play" after the day. One thing - when I was there, even hotel guests had to pay to use the pool, so check on that.

Not if you have status with Hilton...it is free to Diamonds.

Not if you have status with Hilton...it is free to Diamonds.

But, if you have status as a Gold, you're still SOL…

There IS room for a giraffe at the Cavalieri, though. Just be sure it stays away from the lions on the lawn ;)

Edited by slidergirl

You have to be kidding. Never heard of a hotel where you had to pay to use the pool. Pretty cheap on their part. Could change my mind about staying there. :confused::confused::confused:

You have to be kidding. Never heard of a hotel where you had to pay to use the pool. Pretty cheap on their part. Could change my mind about staying there. :confused::confused::confused:

Guessing you have never heard of a resort fee at high end hotels. Many have them. Cavalleri just charges it differently.

Guessing you have never heard of a resort fee at high end hotels. Many have them. Cavalleri just charges it differently.

I just got back from my "free" nights stay from my employer. "free" was not really free - I still had to pay the $65/day resort fee and $22/day parking…

So, don't pay the fee and don't use the pool. It's up to you.

I know the location bothers cruisemom42, but when you are getting it for points or a reduced rate, it negates the location. I look it as more money I have in my pocket for doing other things in Rome! I was there one rainy night - the lightning over the city was beautiful. Sat under a covered area outside, sipping my barberoso and having a nice conversation with a couple from Canada. Little things like that make a vacation...