Photography tips using digital cameras

c230k

Thought I would start a thread, give us your tips to take better digital pictures.

I will start with this one, sure made me think twice before taking a picture.

Five checks you should develop a habit of before you start taking photos. The post also explains what happens if you fail to do so.

http://www.lightstalking.com/5-quick-camera-checks-before-you-release-the-shutter-to-produce-amazing-shots-consistently

Tom :cool:

Carry multiple cards and try to use a different card every day or two. If your camera gets stolen the last day of the trip, you don't want every shot you've taken from day 1 to go with it.

Learn some good, simple rules of composition. Even the most basic point and shoot camera can get good pictures if you understand things like the rule of thirds, leading lines, framing, fill flash, etc. Here are some good introductory tutorials on composition: http://www.familytravelphotos.com/travel-photo-tips/

Take LOTS of pictures. You can always delete duplicates. You're spending a lot on your trip . . . so the most expensive picture is the one you don't shoot, especially if you wish you had later on.

Learn how to do basic things with your camera, including turning on/off the flash and using the different creative modes (landscape, portrait, etc.) Learn how to use fill flash as well - a tutorial on that can be found at the link above.

Use a low ISO setting during the day for the best quality pictures. Use a higher ISO for sunset and evening shots . . . you'll get more noise in your photos but you'll have fewer blurry shots.

Shoot at your camera's highest resolution and quality settings. You can easily make big pictures smaller, but you can't take small pictures and make them big.

If your subject is wide (like a picture of a sunset) hold the camera horizontally (called landscape orientation). If you're taking the picture of a tall subject (e.g., a person is taller than he/she is wide, unless they're built like me) turn the camera sideways and shoot it that way (called portrait orientation).

I'm sure I'll think of more later but that's what came to mind so far.

Take your camera along.

Seriously!

How many posts have we seen here over the years asking if you should leave the camera behind in such-and-such a situation, beach, crowds, imminent danger of a spectacular sunset...

So you like to swim or snorkel but your DSLR isn't waterproof...get a waterproof camera. You want to be discreet at dinner...get a good pocket camera.

The best camera is often two or three cameras but the very best camera is the one you have with you. The picture you take will always be better than the one you didn't! ;)

Happy shooting!

Dave

1. Learn composition. Most importantly, most of the time -- "dead center is dead." Learn the rule of 3rds, or at least learn how to properly fill the frame with your subject.

You don't need any technical know-how for this. You can even improve your smart phone pictures dramatically, by learning basic rules of composition.

2. Learn your camera. The simplest smart phone to the most complex professional camera is filled with more features than you can count. Many of the features are useless novelties, but many others could be useful given the situation. Maybe you didn't realize that your camera can stitch together amazing panoramas. Or simply switching to the "sports mode" will help when deal with action.

You start out in this step, learning the "auto settings" and shortcuts.

3. Learn the exposure triangle. Shutter speed, ISO, aperture. Learn what they mean. Learn what they do. Learn how fast shutter speeds freeze the action, while slow shutter speeds absorb the light, allow fireworks trails, etc. Learn how aperture controls the depth of field. And learn how all 3 inter-relate to each other.

4. Learn your camera again -- This time, learning the manual settings. Learn how to apply your knowledge of the exposure triangle to your camera.

5. Get the right gear for you. Not everyone needs a big expensive camera and lenses, but maybe they are right for you. Or maybe you need to add a small tripod to your gear. A small cheap tripod can really transform some types of photography. Or get the right software for the type of post-processing you want to do.

6. Pack, be prepared -- Extra memory cards, batteries, battery chargers. Include a comfortable way to carry your camera on a trip -- whether it be a good camera bag, a comfortable strap, etc.

7. Take LOTS AND LOTS of pictures. Memory is cheap. It's easy to delete. And often you may think, "I got the shot" and it looks good on the tiny LCD, but you notice it is blurry once you put it on the computer. So take lots of shots.

8. DELETE lots of shots. When sharing your vacation photos, your friends don't want to see 40 nearly identical shots of your kids standing on the deck of the ship. Save and compile your best shots. An album (whether a facebook album or a hardcover album) with 20 great shots is far more memorable than an album with 1,000 shots, of which 20 are great and the other 980 are of mixed quality.

So take thousands -- but only keep the best.

9. Back up your files. Don't lose all your vacation photos if your computer ever dies. A backup harddrive, or online storage... but back up the ones you want to keep.

10. Print your very best. My parents are old school, and still think every picture should be printed and stuck in a shoe box. So you just end up with shoe boxes collecting dust. I don't subscribe to that. But at the same time, you want your best money shots to be more than just a Facebook share. Take your 1 or 2 best vacation shots, and print them as large as the file allows. Put it in a nice frame.

.... invite friends and family who will admire the large fantastic print framed on your wall and will oooh and aaaaah and say, "wow, you're an amazing photographer."

Contrary to what some people say "Never Delete" but cull heavily what you are going to show.

The reason I never delete goes back probably 40 years to when a friend lost her husband and was bemoaning that she didn't have a photo of him, I happened to have a photo with him in the background, a photo that today we would delete as the image of the main item was to say the least poor. However after hours in the darkroom we managed to get an acceptable [not great mind you or even what I would class as good] photo for her that she cherished for the rest of her life.

Contrary to what some people say "Never Delete" but cull heavily what you are going to show.

The reason I never delete goes back probably 40 years to when a friend lost her husband and was bemoaning that she didn't have a photo of him, I happened to have a photo with him in the background, a photo that today we would delete as the image of the main item was to say the least poor. However after hours in the darkroom we managed to get an acceptable [not great mind you or even what I would class as good] photo for her that she cherished for the rest of her life.

I agree completely. You can't really judge the quality of a picture by looking at the back of the camera. Media cards are so cheap now, there's no reason to delete photos for space on the card. Just carry more cards and fill them up. You can always delete later, if you really must.

Thought I would start a thread, give us your tips to take better digital pictures. I will start with this one, sure made me think twice before taking a picture. Tom

Appreciate this excellent thread idea and the sharing of so many wonderful and important tips, ideas and suggestions. Keep it coming!! Lots to consider and know. BUT, "keeping it simple" is also vital, too!! Below is my listing and insights to share for basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with too many of the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, magic moments, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible. Many of the picture samples below help prove this vital point about getting this "personal" connection for being better and more interesting.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the cropping, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I have done that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto and now Aperature software tools. Fairly quick and easy!!

See more details and ideas were previously posted at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options/variety. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those highly-technical challenges and creative distractions.

TRIPODS?: For some night situations, a tripod will be needed to get certain great looks. BUT, on two of my last cruises, I took a tripod, but never used it. Always trade-offs!! Tripod set-ups can take more time and hassle. When traveling with others, including your wife, they won't put up with too much delay and photo fiddling. You've got to be ready to "grab and go" quickly, efficiently. Even without a tripod, you can still get longer exposures by leaning against solid structures, using your body in a smart way, etc.

Below are a few pictures that I have shared on these boards that seem popular. Many more on the live/blog such as connected below for Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii. Plus, other earlier live/blogs. All these spectacular locations help make a photographer look accomplished.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 72,884 views for this fun posting.

Here is a picture from our New Zealand South Island JetBoat ride that my wife loved so much. Me, too!! Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. I showed my wife this picture (and several others like this but where the wind was blowing her hair in the opposite direction). She liked this picture so much, that she said to put this one in her obituary (not that this need is upcoming anytime soon). It showed her having fun and she said this ride was the most fun of the whole cruise/trip. We've had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class near the NZ Southern Alps. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

Here is one of the famed gannets from Cape Kidnappers near Napier along the eastern NZ coast. This is just one small sampling of many large groups of these super cute birds that we saw here as they were nesting.:

NapCapKidGannets14_zps56dac26a.jpg

While at Cape Kidnappers, we arranged a private, three-course, gourmet lunch at the exclusive resort here that overlooked both the Pacific Ocean and the famed golf course ranked as the 23rd best in the world. Here are members of our 14-person, Central Ohio group enjoying this scenic and dramatic setting and the beautiful weather this day. I used my 10-20mm lens to capture this shot.:

NapCapKidGannets115_zps0061777a.jpg

From our group's Bay of Islands water fun, we got to do real sailing, including going out into the nearby Pacific Ocean! See the proof and success below. It was both a perfect weather day and such fun sampling this great region of northern NZ. One of the options for those in our Central Ohio group on this custom, private sailing was to help to do as much (or as little as desired) in helping make this sail experience happen. Here you can see Captain Murray guiding the ship from this great vantage point on the back of the Zindabar. Was this exciting and scenic for our group?:

BayOfIslandsA14_zps5d841758.jpg

This is Old St. Paul's church in Wellington. It is the former cathedral in the Diocese of Wellington for the Anglican Church. As an example of 19th-century Gothic Revival architecture, they adapted to colonial conditions and materials. It is at 34 Mulgrave Street, close to the New Zealand Parliament. Its construction was completed in June 1866. After a significant battle to prevent its demolition, Old St. Paul's was purchased by the New Zealand Government in 1967 and restored. Although not a parish church, it remains consecrated and is a popular for weddings, funerals and other services. It is constructed from native NZ timbers. The interior has been likened to the upturned hull of an Elizabethan galleon with its exposed curving trusses and roof sacking. The flags displayed in the nave include the Royal Navy, NZ Merchant Navy and US Marine Corps. Many of our Marines were stationed in Wellington during World War II. My wife is in yellow walking down the center aisle as she absorb the building details. This was a very important and "moving" site to experience. :

WellingtonA9_zpse247f172.jpg

From the Daintree Rainforest and National Park near Cairns, Australia, here is only one sample of our exploring there. It was a somewhat challenging 1.43 miles circular hike in the deep, deep of this dramatic rainforest. Lots of rocks, up and down paths, twists and turns, hard work, etc. But we survived!! Even at our ages. Also in the Mossman Gorge, there was a long swinging bridge. Not Indiana Jones, but for us it was super spectacular. Here is just one of my favorites as it shows a member of our group looking at one of these huge trees in the middle of this rainforest and contemplating its majesty, size and history. And I told John the next morning, that the picture shows his more photogenic side!:

PixRainFampPDouglas5_zps27db0023.jpg

Excellent thread.

I have just copied and pasted many of the tips.

I've learned that just like any hobby, sport and anything you do in life practice makes perfect and for me I get better the more I use my camera even preparing for our trips. I find that if I don't use it often I forget things and I go back to doing things that are not optimal.

I have learned that the best people shots are the ones that they don't know about. Very spontaneous. Even on the ship when our photos are taken I've found that the professional photographers who can just get us to relax and be ourselves take some of the best photos.

Keith

Excellent thread.

I have learned that the best people shots are the ones that they don't know about. Very spontaneous. Even on the ship when our photos are taken I've found that the professional photographers who can just get us to relax and be ourselves take some of the best photos.

Keith

EXCELLENT point. All too often we tell people "stand there and look at me" to get a picture, and it just looks boring. Getting pictures of people doing things or interacting with each other really enhances the photo.

The camera is just a tool to create an image. It is your perspective on and understanding of the subject matter that's going to be of value to the people viewing the image (even if it's only you watching it many months or years later).

So, be thoughtful in what you photograph. Have something to say. Be ruthless in throwing out photographs that don't have anything interesting to say, and forgiving of those photographs with technical flaws.

The best camera is often two or three cameras but the very best camera is the one you have with you. The picture you take will always be better than the one you didn't! ;)

Happy shooting!

Dave

Absolutely love this!

Great tips from everyone. I have totally been neglecting my photography and have become very rusty on my skills over the last 4 1/2 years of being in nursing school. Now that I have graduated, I'm going to need to start practicing again with the dslr. I feel like I've lost a huge part of me and hopefully I will get it back soon. I'm so use to just bringing along my point and shoot. :p

• 2 months later...
take the classes that are offer on the ship.some are free,some cost.

then go out an enjoy:)

I'd second the classes suggestion [i still like to sit in on them in spite of having over 40 years experience including lengthy periods make a living with a camera].

Also most photographers are fanatical about their hobby and will talk your ear off about it, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

• 2 weeks later...

A few frames shot while testing my new partial cure for the fleeting attention span of a one-year-old. You can see the progression from "Hi Pop" to realizing there's a funny bird with a big shiny navel looking at him.

p953259514-4.jpg

They're called Camera Creatures and are available at B&H and Amazon.

Dave