Booked my firs cruise & I have some silly questions; could someone reassure me?

Katymac

I have booked my first cruise on NCL Jade at New Year; I have been avidly reading reviews & I have some concerns

1) I keep hearing about hands being sprayed/hand gel to prevent infection; I have terrible contact allergies am I going to have arguments about not spraying my hands?

2) Do I need to buy my daughter a 'soft drinks package' how much is that likely to be (Can I have one too?)

3) I am getting the hang of maybe not dressing up; will I look a pratt if I do take dressy stuff?

I'm sure I will have lots more questions as the weeks go by, so thank you in advance

I have been on 5 cruises so far and no one has ever sprayed me. If they try just tell them you are allergic.

If you daughter drinks lots of soda then yes. The cost is about $6/day. We just get one for my son and if I get the urge for a coke I send him to get me one.

You can dress however you like. I have seen it all. Dress to how you feel comfortable. I personally wear shorts during the day but I do wear pants or summer dress for dinner but it is totally up to you

Just remember that it is your vacation and have fun

they do squirt your hands using a no-water antibacterial hand gel when boarding the ship and when entering eating venues - when going into the restaurants i'm sure that you can explain to them that you're allergic but when boarding the ships it may not be so easier - i've had my hands completely full and they've made me put every single thing down to have my hands squirted - they are pretty strict about it - you could always go right into a bathroom once you're on board to wash your hands - maybe this would help with the allergies

definitely get a drink package - makes it so much easier to get sodas and you don't have to bother with constantly signing slips - and you won't be in for a surprise about how much it's going to cost at the end

we love getting dressed up for dinner while we're cruising since it doesn't happen much here at home - ncl tends to be less formal some of the other cruise lines but i'm sure that you'll find a wide variety of outfits, especially with it being new years - as long as you follow the dress code for dinner (no shorts, flip flops etc in the mdr) i say wear whatever you are comfortable in

Yes, infection control measures are very important on the ship in these days of noroviruses. You will be expected to use the gel, as others have said. Do you know of a brand of sanitizing gel that you can tolerate? If so, consider taking several small bottles with you so that you can use your own disinfectant, instead of their standard issue stuff.

Having said that, I have pretty sensitive skin, and what's used on the ship is very nice. I think it has moisturizers in it. You may find you're all right with it.

my experience on 4 different ships 9 cruises is that i have used the sanitizer machine more than having my hands sprayed.

find something that you can tolerate and bring with you and show them when they want to or insist on spraying your hands.

you can DRESS UP or NOT any night of the week...you will blend in just fine no matter how you choose to dress...RELAX--its YOUR CHOICE!!

you can bring on soda if you choose

or specially if you drink more than 3 sodas a day--the Soda Card pays for itself!

$6.25 for Adults daily plus 15% gratuity to be paid at the begining of the cruise in full--not sure of the childrens package.

check out the NCL board for more answers!

most of the time i get the soda card and bring it on also.

soda is $4.50 a day for childrens soda card and $6 a day for adults plus the 15% tip.

You would have to drink at least 3 a day to pay for itself. You can bring on 12 sodas each person if you feel like carrying them on. (carry on only)

If you are genuinely concerned about the sanatizer, contact NCL directly, ask about the ingredients & then ask your doctor if you are allergic. If you are, bring a note that excuses you from the proceedure but the cruise line will probably require some other sanitary substitute.

If you drink a LOT of soda the packages can be worth it. We usually bring a 12 pack aboard with us, which is allowed, & that's enough for the week.

Although NCL is the most casual line, DH & I always dress up. On some trips he was one of about 6 men in a tuxedo. Even though I was standing right next to him, he always got lots of compliments while nobody said anything to me. :o When we sailed on the Dawn out of NYC for New Years everybody on board was dressed to the nines. NYE is different but I understand that other CCs did not have the same formal experience on other trips in other years.

they do squirt your hands using a no-water antibacterial hand gel when boarding the ship and when entering eating venues - when going into the restaurants i'm sure that you can explain to them that you're allergic but when boarding the ships it may not be so easier - i've had my hands completely full and they've made me put every single thing down to have my hands squirted - they are pretty strict about it - you could always go right into a bathroom once you're on board to wash your hands - maybe this would help with the allergies

Wow - I've never ever had my hands squirted when boarding a ship and quite frankly I'd be pretty ticked to be asked to put down everything I was carrying to do so. The backup would be horrendous. What line do you sail on? :eek:

1) I keep hearing about hands being sprayed/hand gel to prevent infection; I have terrible contact allergies am I going to have arguments about not spraying my hands?

You can contact the cruise line and ask for ingredients. A doctor's note will help to avoid spraying. Which sanitizer are you using now? You can bring it with you. Not using a sanitizer at all is putting everybody else at risk of getting sick by touching rails, doors, elevator buttons.

It's never really been a problem; I work in a fairly high risk industry & hand washing is usually OK

Even when visiting my husband in Papworth hospital they preferred hand washing to gel

Papworth is in the UK, isn't it?

While handwashing is fine, you know us Yanks -- we love high tech, anything that's new must be better. :rolleyes:

Forewarned is forearmed.

Yes, I'm an interloper from 'across the pond'

I'll email them about the gel

I'm hoping for some serious dancing, either classes or in the evening (my

husband and daughter are both dancers too)

From what I remember on Jade, it was mainly those machines where you hold your hand under and get an automatic squirt....!:p

....but yes, they did spray your hands at the foot of the gangway, and were quite strict when we visited Egypt, as there was a greater risk of infection.

I have seen people in the most glamorous outfits on Jade, especially if they're dressing for a formal photo....the great thing is that no-one really cares what you're wearing, so long as you're clean and covered.;)

Enjoy- she's a very special ship to us-

Jo.

Go to the Great Outside for a snack lunch when you arrive....others won't have found it....walk through the main buffet to the very back of the ship. The choice isn't as good as inside, but it's so pleasant out there.

We do the same at breakfast time- again, limited choice, but so good to eat in the open air.;)

Remember that the dolphins on the corridor carpets always swim towards the front of the ship! :cool:

Jo.

Which sanitizer are you using now? You can bring it with you. Not using a sanitizer at all is putting everybody else at risk of getting sick by touching rails, doors, elevator buttons.

Nope, a hand washing with soap and water is actually much more effective than those gels. Gels don't take care of removing matter in places it loves to hide, like under fingernails.

There is also evidence that germs are becoming resistant to the sanitizers due to overuse.

I use hand sanitizer for one reason only. In the very rare situation where I need to use a toilet without hand wash facilities, I will first use a wipe on my hands, and then follow with sanitizer.

If everyone washed their hands for at least 30 seconds with soap and water every time they used a bathroom, blew their nose, or sneezed into their hands (use your elbow or better yet pull up your shirt over your nose and mouth and sneeze into your chest) we'd probably see a good 50% reduction in contagious illness, and I'll bet it would be a 90% reduction of Norwalk.

I agree with Katymac, hand sanitiser is great for when you can't get to water and soap, it tackles bugs like e-coli, but doesn't kill stronger bugs like c-diff. So good hand washing is much better! If you are allergic, just say so, they can't force you to use the gel! Have a wonderful cruise! :)

I would absolutely bring whatever hand sanitizer works for you even though they wont force you to do anything.

I found that I didnt drink enough soda (even in cocktails) to make the soda package worthwhile.

Archived