Do You Lock Your Luggage

CRUISE4JANE

How many of you lock your luggage that you check in? I know they do random checks, so if you lock your luggage, they would have to break your lock. Is it better to just leave it unlocked? I really would hate to check in my luggage unlocked :rolleyes:.

We don't. Just in case they find something in there that isn't supposed to be. I don't want to have to go to the naughty room and have them take it out in front of me. Rather just have it confiscated and be give my bag.

We use the zip ties and leave a couple loose ones inside the suitcase so that if Carnival opens the bag they can put on another zip tie when they close it. We never have any valuables in our checked luggage so the zip ties works for us. :)

There are those breakaway type locks too. Forget what the actual name is, but they can be re-used if have to be "unlocked" by authorities (whether it be airlines or cruises).

TSA approved

We always use the zip ties...sometimes our bags are searched..sometimes not....makes little difference..but the zipties deter the would be opportunist or the freak accident of zipper pull catching on something and unzipping...

Never have locked my luggage in many years of travel here in the States & abroad, and have never had a problem. I NEVER pack anything of value, and I never leave my luggage outside my cabin door the night before debarkation; we always do self-assist.

If during the screening process they see anything possibly prohibited or questionable in my luggage, they can open it, leave me a love note & send it on its merry way to my cabin. If its locked, they will ask you to come down & open it for them. No big deal either way.

It's clearly a personal preference thing, so do whatever you feel comfortable with.

We use small colored zipties. Keeps the zippers closed, but can be opened by security if needed. Lets me know if anyone has been in the bags. Finally, one more thing that makes my bag a little different at the airline luggage counter.

We don't. Just in case they find something in there that isn't supposed to be. I don't want to have to go to the naughty room and have them take it out in front of me. Rather just have it confiscated and be give my bag.

#2 way of avoiding the naughty room...#1 way would not to attempt to bring said items on the ship in the first place...but what fun is that:D

We lock our luggage with the single purpose of preventing zippers from sliding apart. Our TSA-approved lock is small, and can be opened by anybody. We don't check anything valuable.

That is why we do it as well, with a small TSA lock, nothing valuable in our suitcases but would hate the zipper to slide open, pick up the suitcase and stuff falling everywhere LOL

We use the TSA locks on all items. Not so worried about someone stealing something but am more worried about something being put in to it.

Had a brother one time who went on a trip overseas and found a few things in his luggage he didn't put there. He notified authorities as soon as he found the items and was cleared of any problems. He then proceeded to get rid of the luggage so he would never have any problems with it again from residue.

So you see it can work both ways.

Archived