Need Hotel Advice for Amsterdam

ninaks

Going on our first River Cruise on Viking Basel to Amsterdam in Sept 2012. We are spending a few days after the cruise in Amsterdam and I think we can find a better deal than what Viking is offering us for an add on. Any one have advice for a centrally located hotel that isn't super expensive. I don't need luxury, just clean with nice people. Thanks for your help

Hotel Fita is located 2 blocks from the Riksmuseum and 1 block from the Van Gogh. There is a bus (4 euros) to the airport in front of the museum. The trams are a block away. The owners are great and helpful and make the best pancakes. Not fancy, but great location.

Bidding for a 4* or higher hotel in Amsterdam on Priceline is usually a winning strategy. Prices are much better than retail. Often, the winning hotel will be from the NH chain. There are two main Priceline "bidding help" websites out there, both of which will give you many data points for your bidding.

My own experience has gotten 4* winning bids in the $80-90 range, all convenient to tram lines (which can take you to Centraal and the Schiphol express trains.).

I just booked for $95 per night at NH Barbizon Palace. On the travel websites, the cheapest I saw it was $250 a night. Gets some mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com, but everyone says the location is perfect. One less thing to worry about. Thanks so much

Anyone having a late flight into AMS or an early flight out, check out the Citizen M Hotel. We stayed there last year........very easy walk to/from Schipol.
Be aware that the Citizen M, while being very convenient to Schiphol, is most assuredly a distinctive type of hotel. You get one room, with a glassed off shower cylinder, and a frosted glassed off toilet cylinder. The room is the width of a over king-sized bed, which is against the window wall and has walls on three of its four sides. One chair, no closet.

It can be great, or it can be very wrong....definitely take the time to check out their website for photos to see if it moves you.

Be aware that the Citizen M, while being very convenient to Schiphol, is most assuredly a distinctive type of hotel. You get one room, with a glassed off shower cylinder, and a frosted glassed off toilet cylinder. The room is the width of a over king-sized bed, which is against the window wall and has walls on three of its four sides. One chair, no closet.

It can be great, or it can be very wrong....definitely take the time to check out their website for photos to see if it moves you.

We stayed there last year for one night. I wouldn't choose to spend a lot of nights there, however it was very efficient, clean and all we needed for one night. The main draw as I mentioned is the convenience to the airport. Don't knock it until you've tried it........:rolleyes:

Good budget hotel with nice breakfast and good staff is Hotel CLEMENS

Raadhuisstraat 39 11 1016 Amsterdam. Close to trams to/from Central Station . Close to the Ann Frank Huis and the West Church . Good cafes scene nearby . Only a stones throw from the Damrak . Book direct on line via Hotel's website for best rates .

We stayed there last year for one night. I wouldn't choose to spend a lot of nights there, however it was very efficient, clean and all we needed for one night. The main draw as I mentioned is the convenience to the airport. Don't knock it until you've tried it........:rolleyes:

Agreed that it is convenient, though you do have to walk outside under a covered walkway. It is efficient, it is clean, it is new. And yes, I have tried it. I enjoyed it, but many others many not. So I speak from personal experience in helping others to know what they are buying.

We stayed at the Eden America that we got through hotels.com. It is at the juncture of 2 tram lines and is 2 stops from the museums. Also a block away is a place to book canal cruises. There is a street full of restaurants a block away in the other direction.

I have respectfully read everyone's excellent accommodation suggestions, that feature convenient and money-saving lodging. However, in my opinion, nothing beats the charm of staying in The Canal Belt at a canal-view hotel on Herengracht, Keizergracht, or Prinsengracht near Anne Frankhuis. We splurged for one night post-cruise at the Ambassade which is actually 10 18th century houses on the Herengracht and Singel canals. You return at night to your own building, climb the stairs to your own flat, and when you open the drapes and gaze out right over the canal at the passing boats, you will not likely forget it. When I go to Amsterdam I like to get as far away from the noise and grittiness of Dam Square, Red Light District and Centraal train station as I can, and stay in a more residential area. There are other very popular hotels in the Canal District that you can read about such as the Pulitzer, made famous in the movie Oceans 12.

We stayed in the Hotel Nadia when we were there. It definitely wasn't for everyone - but it was an interesting experience - and we would go back again.

On the downside - there is no elevator, so be prepared to climb many steep steps. This is not suitable for someone with mobility issues. The decor is outdated (think 70's dorm) - and the room we had was quite small. The bed was against the wall - and there wasn't much room to walk around. We had to lift our suitcases over the end of the bed - as they wouldn't roll around the bed to get to the door.

However - the location is amazing. The Westerkirk is visible from the breakfast room, and you are only 2 blocks from the Anne Frank Huis. The price is very good, and there is a discount if you pay cash.

You have to ring a bell to get into the door from the sidewalk - and the main reception is up a *long* flight of stairs. But- they carry your luggage. Breakfast is included, and there is free WIFI. The bathroom is very small - but has been updated.

The bed was comfortable, and the linen clean. We had a small balcony - and sat outside watching the world go by on the street - and the canal. The staff were so friendly, and very helpful.

There is a website if you want to see pictures.

Hotel Fita is located 2 blocks from the Riksmuseum and 1 block from the Van Gogh. There is a bus (4 euros) to the airport in front of the museum. The trams are a block away. The owners are great and helpful and make the best pancakes. Not fancy, but great location.

We also stayed at the Hotel Fita in the Museum District back in October 2010 and were very pleased. Very clean rooms, in room coffee pot and tea pot. Excellent breakfast included, quiet residential neighborhood within easy walking distance to many sights. Would go back again and they are highly recommended on Trip Advisor.

Archived