Recent Hosiery Trends Onboard - Need Advise

jobu

Trying to put wardrobe together for upcoming cruise and need advise. DH and I will be doing a 12 night Venice overnight itinerary, late September into early October this year. For those that have sailed Europe in recent years, I am curious as to what the trends are toward hosiery, when dressing for dinner?

In the US, a bare, tanned leg is very popular, even in cooler weather. What is the trend in Europe? Bare leg or hosiery (black, tan or nude color)? Your most recent observations are appreciated. Thanks.

Trying to put wardrobe together for upcoming cruise and need advise. DH and I will be doing a 12 night Venice overnight itinerary, late September into early October this year. For those that have sailed Europe in recent years, I am curious as to what the trends are toward hosiery, when dressing for dinner?

In the US, a bare, tanned leg is very popular, even in cooler weather. What is the trend in Europe? Bare leg or hosiery (black, tan or nude color)? Your most recent observations are appreciated. Thanks.

If your speaking of dress on the ship your good with bare legs.

for an upscale restaurant in Europe(which you probably won't be in) hosiery is always in fashion.

I understand that it is currently fashionable [at least in the UK] to go bare-legged even if you are not tanned but I am afraid that I do not follow trends and would not wear a knee-length or shorter skirt without tights [panty-hose]. This is probably more to do with my age and the fact that I only burn, never tan, than any fashion sense. The Duchess of Cambridge is known for not wearing tights.

On a cruise, I wear tights with a short/cocktail dress in the evening but not under a long evening dress.

Sue

Age shouldn't be a factor... if you have something that needs hiding (at any age), then hide it if that makes you more confident. I'm 53. I don't own any pantyhose. I haven't for years. But then... I'm a gym rat. LOL

OP wants to know what the current style (hose, no hose) is in Europe. I have no idea. Sorry. And, even if it IS in style there... I wouldn't wear it. I would still be pegged for an American regardless of what I did or didn't wear on my legs. ;)

The Duchess of Cambridge is known for not wearing tights.

Really? Every photo I see of her, she's wearing "tights" (nylons to we Americans) I recall seeing style blogs talking about how she might bring the look back into fashion.....

When we were in Venice last September (oh crap, it was 2011) I don't recall seeing nylons on women at dinner - we disembarked there and spent 3 nights post-cruise. Guess that's not a current trend. The Venice film festival is about to start - see if you can find blogs with photos :-)

I personally don't wear nylons in warm weather and my legs are usually untanned. In cold weather, I might wear black tights. In November we were in Paris for a few days and I wore black tights and/or knee high leather boots with knee length dresses during the day or for dinner....

I wear stockings (can't bear the feel of tights) when it's cold and bare in summer. As do many women in Europe - I'm mid 50s and in good 'shape'.

You are a tourist and you will look like one. Wear what you like and what you are comfortable with.

Really? Every photo I see of her, she's wearing "tights" (nylons to we Americans) I recall seeing style blogs talking about how she might bring the look back into fashion.....

I wondered about that as well since I once saw an article that dissected every inch of what she wore and when. It said she wore tights/panty hose/nylons 77% of the time.

I honestly think your decision to wear stockings or not depends on how you feel about your legs. I've got some ugly spider veins that are best covered with stockings when I wear a cocktail dress or skirt. The stockings don't cover up the veins, but I feel they are less prominent and am more comfortable about my appearance. If I'm wearing a long skirt, to heck with the stockings, I wear my glamorous strappy sandals and bare legs all the way!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hi, Jobu...

First, it's important to understand that terminology for hosiery is different in the US and UK. So what is known as "pantyhose" in the US is known as "tights" in the UK.

And what is known as "tights" in the US, MIGHT be known as leotards in the UK. (im not exactly sure about that.)

I point this out because some of the posters on this thread might be from different countries and use different terms. It's true that the DoC wears a lot of "tights", but in the US, this is what we call "pantyhose." And she has to follow certain protocols that the rest of us are ( thankfully) not bound by.

With that explanation out of the way, I will use US terminology:

It has long been my suspicion that pantyhose are a torture designed by some man, and I avoid those things as much as possible. On the ship, even for formal wear, you are quite safely beyond the reach of the fashion police by going bare legged. Have no fear.

In a city, it depends on the city, the temperature, the restaurant, and YOUR comfort level.

However, for dinner at nice restaurants, if I feel the need for leg coverings because of a formal setting, I usually wear black. And often, I will wear black leggings or black TIGHTS. (In US terms). Because as soon as I put on pantyhose, I can immediately count on getting a very obvious "run", especially if I'm wearing black.

Tights (US term) are more durable than pantyhose ( except you might not want to wear them in the tropics.)

My advice: go for personal comfort and forget about the fashion police. You're on vacation. Happy sailing.

I've never sailed through Europe, however I have travelled through the continent extensively (Germany England, Spain, Italy, France, Netherlands). There is, in my experience no real trend either way - whichever looks good and is appropriate.

Personal opinion:

I love hosiery. It is versatile and can completely change the look of an outfit or dress or help to pull it all together. Plus they make me feel special (silly yes, but true).

My preference is towards shorter dresses (generally just above or below the knee), therefore my fancy pants must be extra fancy, so I almost always wear stockings (I prefer seamed cuban heels, IMHO sexy and fancy, but this is just me). I however am also decently tattooed on one leg (she's -all tattoo's are female, FYI- a biggie, no one is likely to miss her), so this helps to cover that up (I love my tattoos, but these are not something which is appropriate to flash around at all locations). Brightly coloured or opaque stockings can also help to dress down an outfit as well.

I know several women here who only wear bare legs with skirts and dresses.

The only time I notice hosiery is when it is unfortunate...like the trend for daisy dukes worn with black pantyhose or opaque tights with rhinestones worn in the office. :eek::eek::eek:

My personal taste: I like to wear sheer hose with cocktail dresses. I think it looks polished and prettier.

I know several women here who only wear bare legs with skirts and dresses.

I've never understood this trend and I am in the age group where I feel like I "should" get it (under thirty). If your legs are cold, wear pants. :confused:

(Sorry for thread hijack)

Well, Jubo,

I think we all owe you a debt of gratitude for sparking such a lively discussion from this otherwise mundane question.

It's been very enlightening for all of us, I'm sure. We all come to this topic from our own individual circumstances.

So, Jubo, I think you can safely see there is not necessarily any one dominant point of view or rule. It's a matter of personal taste and comfort.

I think that Gathina said it best: "Wear what makes you feel lovely."

Happy sailing to everyone.

The portion of the Milaandra's post I was responding to (in post 27) was about the Daisy Dukes, short shorts, hot pants, etc. with leggings or tights. I just don't get it, I feel like a I should, but I don't. Though I recently made a dress that apparently looks like a circus tent on acid (purple bodice w/ multicoloured panels forming the skirt). I love it (it is so cheerful, it makes me smile) but I do get quite a few awkward looks when I wear it out, to each their own. :)

I'm from the uk I'm 38, well 37 and two thirds haha and I feel I am fairly fashionable and know what's what in uk and Europe and I would say no. It's entirely up to you though and whatever you are comfortable with! No one will give you a second glance either way unless you're wearing something wholly inappropriate in their eyes, and thats a whole other thread that we don't need to get into! ;) I love the controversy some of these threads create! :D

I just came back from London and thankfully saw no one in Daisy Dukes and black tights! Hopefully that fad is OVER.

I live in the uk and I've never seen it, it sounds...ummm...interesting! Might even give it a whirl on my upcoming cruise in a week! ;)

Some of us bother to take care of our bodies and have no need for hosiery. For those that don't respect their bodies--

Do you consider tanning or chemical tanning to be part of "respecting your body"? Just curious, because most people seem to feel that additional colour on your legs is a good thing when going bare legged.

I live in the uk and I've never seen it, it sounds...ummm...interesting! Might even give it a whirl on my upcoming cruise in a week! ;)

You live in Newcastle and you've never seen that?? Goodness, I've seen that particular "fashion" in Glasgow and quite a bit in Edinburgh, but I wouldn't have imagined it was just a Scottish thing!

Do you consider tanning or chemical tanning to be part of "respecting your body"? Just curious, because most people seem to feel that additional colour on your legs is a good thing when going bare legged.

I don't use chemical tans and don't purposely lay out to tan. I do get sun on my legs on the days that I don't run before sunrise. In my opinion, legs with nice muscle tone don't need additional color to look good--without hose.

I hope this was a joke:eek:

We are just back from a Europe cruise, you really shouldn't worry; wear what you are comfortable in. I am 50 and I had my bare legs on display, if there was anyone who objected that was their problem not mine. There were many nations represented on our cruise wearing a variety of fashion.

Why not pack a few pairs of nude tights, they don't take up a lot of space and then you can make your mind up when you are there.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Karen :)

Thanks. This is probably what I'll end up doing. I go bare most of the time, but I guess I'll take some panty hose with me.

I've been on European cruises on Regent, Princess, and Royal Caribbean, and haven't noticed that women get especially dressed up for dinner. You will be disappointed if you are picturing ladies dressed like the Duchess of Cambridge for an official appearance. Not to harp on the age thing (I'm 55+), but in general it is going to be the older women who wear pantyhose/tights because younger women have never seen sheer hose as fashionable.

Archived