Which Credit Cards should I Carry?

mastercard and visa are equally well accepted

American express not so much so

Happy to confirm that.

Any outlet that accepts cards will accept both Visa & MasterCard.

Amex and Diners Club are accepted at some places, but they're not popular. If either of those cards give you worthwhile extra benefits, by all means ask if they're accepted - but expect a refusal at most places

JB :)

Preferably a MC or Visa (or both) that has zero foreign exchange fees. Some credit cards tack on 3% (or more) on any foreign transaction. Cards like the CapitalOne MC or Andrews Global Trek Visa have zero foreign exchange fees.

Hank

I put a long posting on credit and debit cards on the other thread you started. Take both credit and debit cards and use them correctly. Credit for purchase and debit for spending money. Tell your banks. Have more than one credit card and have them on different banks. (So not stuck if you loose one). I carry both a mastercard (BOAmerica) and Visa signature credit cards (Chase Sapphire and Capital One Venture) and debit cards on 2 banks. High credit limits and extra in the bank accounts in case I need to pay to get home or enter hospital. Good luck.

We did simplify our usual credit card/cash post to fit the OP's question. But since DW and moi often take 2 months (or longer) international trips (cruise and on our own land) we have learned the wisdom of having multiple sources for both credit cards and cash. In travel terms we have a Plan B, Plan C and even Plan D (on long trips). Since Travelers Checks (our past Plan B) are now obsolete we have made adjustments. Between DW and moi we carry 3 different ATM/Debit cards....each drawn on different accounts at 3 different banks/credit unions. We also carry Amex, MC (2 different accounts) and 2 different Visas. With one exception all those cards are totally unrelated. We also try to not have those cards in the same place and will often have some locked up in a hotel/cruise ship safe, some on my person, and some on DW's person. Several of our credit cards have zero foreign exchange fees and 2 of our 3 ATM/Debit cards have no fees (other then the unavoidable 1% hidden transaction fee) imposed by the issuing bank/credit union.

Serious traveling requires serious planning and forethought. We try to anticipate most bad scenarios and plan accordingly. The result has been a lifetime of mostly great trips with few enroute issues that could not be easily handled. Failure to plan does not usually ruin a trip. But when things go wrong, all that pre trip planning can turn a nightmare into an easily resolved situation.

On cruises we often meet folks who will only leave a ship if on a cruise line excursion (usually horribly overpriced) and are often afraid to walk off a ship unless they are part of a large group with a guide. Some of these folks are surprised when we tell them we seldom take tours/excursions (even in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc). Some have told us we are crazy and others say we are brave. But the truth is we are simply experienced and do our pre-trip homework (the key to independent travel).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We did simplify our usual credit card/cash post to fit the OP's question. But since DW and moi often take 2 months (or longer) international trips (cruise and on our own land) we have learned the wisdom of having multiple sources for both credit cards and cash. In travel terms we have a Plan B, Plan C and even Plan D (on long trips). Since Travelers Checks (our past Plan B) are now obsolete we have made adjustments. Between DW and moi we carry 3 different ATM/Debit cards....each drawn on different accounts at 3 different banks/credit unions. We also carry Amex, MC (2 different accounts) and 2 different Visas. With one exception all those cards are totally unrelated. We also try to not have those cards in the same place and will often have some locked up in a hotel/cruise ship safe, some on my person, and some on DW's person. Several of our credit cards have zero foreign exchange fees and 2 of our 3 ATM/Debit cards have no fees (other then the unavoidable 1% hidden transaction fee) imposed by the issuing bank/credit union.

Serious traveling requires serious planning and forethought. We try to anticipate most bad scenarios and plan accordingly. The result has been a lifetime of mostly great trips with few enroute issues that could not be easily handled. Failure to plan does not usually ruin a trip. But when things go wrong, all that pre trip planning can turn a nightmare into an easily resolved situation.

On cruises we often meet folks who will only leave a ship if on a cruise line excursion (usually horribly overpriced) and are often afraid to walk off a ship unless they are part of a large group with a guide. Some of these folks are surprised when we tell them we seldom take tours/excursions (even in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc). Some have told us we are crazy and others say we are brave. But the truth is we are simply experienced and do our pre-trip homework (the key to independent travel).

Hank

Hank I am with you 100%. The trip planning is often a year off and on for our typically a month long journey. Good planning usually means a good trip and if something does go wrong -- good planning means you are ready to make new plans a little faster than others -- you know what options might be available and what a reasonable price might be AND you can finance that plan. If you have to return home early because of illness or troubles, you pay walk-up prices and premiums often to get what you need. You worry about getting the money back from insurance etc. later. We also pull off maps and other information and carry with us -- internet and printer at home more reliable than on the road. We plan a good structure but not to the place where the structure gets in the way of the experience. We are not immune to sticker shock or messed up plans but good planning means there are more options and you have done the basic study/homework to make educated decisions if you have to.

Hlitner and Bowie Me Me

Yes agree with the comments from both of you. Myself and OH like to take short breaks rather than anything longer than a week, but it still needs research and planning.

When on a cruise I never understand passengers that don't get off at a port. We hardly ever take ship excursions either as they are overpriced.

Hank I am with you 100%. The trip planning is often a year off and on for our typically a month long journey. Good planning usually means a good trip and if something does go wrong -- good planning means you are ready to make new plans a little faster than others -- you know what options might be available and what a reasonable price might be AND you can finance that plan. If you have to return home early because of illness or troubles, you pay walk-up prices and premiums often to get what you need. You worry about getting the money back from insurance etc. later. We also pull off maps and other information and carry with us -- internet and printer at home more reliable than on the road. We plan a good structure but not to the place where the structure gets in the way of the experience. We are not immune to sticker shock or messed up plans but good planning means there are more options and you have done the basic study/homework to make educated decisions if you have to.

I appreciate your reply, Bowie. Our cruise is not until next July, 2016, leaving from Imjuiden on the Prinsendam. I began planning the day we put our deposit down.

I have spent the last 2 months in initial planning, including creating a detailed spreadsheet that details as best I can our anticipated expenses, both in Amsterdam and on board ship. I will break down my budget so I know what I am going to put on credits cards and what I expect to pay cash (Euros) for.

"Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance". I have yet to be disappointed by not having planned enough to cover expected expenses and leave room for unexpected surprises!:cool: