New Orleans Air Port

I was just wondering what this airport is like. I tried to google some images and can't really find anything interesting.

I was just wondering if it had anything neat in it like some of the airports do. I've seen some really neat airports (like Chicago) with the underground tunnels and light show, ones with neat fountains that jump the water all over the place, some with a tram inside. So, I thought I would ask if there is anything neat inside this port. I like to do photography and find neat things.

I have been living here all my life and I can honestly say our airport is a notch above a third world country airport. It is very small with very little unique features about it. You can find the colors of Mardi Gras and the Saints throughout the terminal and that is about it. You may want to venture to St Charles Avenue (up town district) to find historic homes and the French quarter for other local flavors of our city’s history. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Darn. I do plan on coming in to NO the day before our cruise and I will definitely do some exploring that day. We changed our flight and will be arriving around noon (instead of later in the day at 5 when we first started looking at flights). Hopefully that will be enough time to get checked in and do some exploring. :)

LuckyDogs are ths hotdogs sold along Bourbon Street and various seedy corners in French Quarter. They are sold at hotdog carts shaped like a hotdog in a bun. They taste real good at 3:00AM after you stumble out of a bar.;)

It is a New Orleans institution.:D

Just a little more upscale than a Greyhound bus station.

Oh wow. It's been YEARS since I road the Greyhound bus (actually probably around 35 years) and from what I remember, they were um...nasty. I really hope they've changed since then.....but it doesn't sound like it.

That is a real insult to the Bus station! :p

LOL....ok I get the picture. They are not a very photo-ristic opportunity. If that's a word. LOL :D

You only have one day down here? Where are you staying if you don't mind me asking.

You don't have alot of time to see things unless you are going to blow getting sleep.:)

We are staying at the Drury Inn. We arrive around noon or so, I'd have to double check.

Your best bet will checkin and head straight to the French Quarter.

Since you will be here in October, It will be dark outside by 5:30.

Walk around the quarter, get a nice dinner, go to Pat O'Brians for a hurricane (sit at the Piano Bar),End the night at CDM for coffee and bignets.

and then TAKE A CAB BACK TO YOUR HOTEL. Don't walk back.

Walk around the quarter, get a nice dinner, go to Pat O'Brians for a hurricane (sit at the Piano Bar),End the night at CDM for coffee and bignets.

We are there in September, not October. But we just want to ride the tram (to say we did it) and walk around. Then try the Bignets. We will have our 3 year old with us. So, we won't be going anywhere to stay (she don't stay put too long). :)

• 2 weeks later...
We are there in September, not October. But we just want to ride the tram (to say we did it) and walk around. Then try the Bignets. We will have our 3 year old with us. So, we won't be going anywhere to stay (she don't stay put too long). :)

There are three streetcar (trolley or tram) lines. With a 3 year old with a short attention span, the Riverfront line may be your best option. It's a short route that follows the riverfront, starting at Convention Center under the bridge and running past the front of the French Quarter, to the far side of the French Quarter from downtown.

It's not the most scenic, but there are plenty of stops, so plenty of noise, bell ringing and action for the kid. Plus you can get off at the stop in front of Jackson square, and go have Beignets at the Cafe Du Monde - the original one, not the franchise stand in the Riverwalk mall.

The St. Charles line is the most scenic, running along a grass median in the middle of the street for a lot of the route, through some lovely older areas of the city, and out to (and past) Audobon Park.

The Canal street line runs up the middle of Canal Street in downtown, and out to City Park. It's the one you often see on news footage of New Orleans.

Here's a link to the streetcar map & timetable:

http://www.norta.com/Files/Route_PDFs/Streetcars-1210web.pdf

It's not the most scenic, but there are plenty of stops, so plenty of noise, bell ringing and action for the kid. Plus you can get off at the stop in front of Jackson square, and go have Beignets at the Cafe Du Monde - the original one, not the franchise stand in the Riverwalk mall.

This is exactly what we had planned on doing (Beignets). After people have mentioned them, they sound YUMMY!

Here's a link to the streetcar map & timetable:

http://www.norta.com/Files/Route_PDFs/Streetcars-1210web.pdf

Thanks for the link. I did already find it once, but forgot to book mark it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed your last line take a cab back to your hotel. Don't walk back. We will be staying at Hilton Riverside. In other words it's not Safe for 2 women babyboomers to walk back after dark. We will be there in October 2011.

Thanks,

Marcy

I noticed your last line take a cab back to your hotel. Don't walk back. We will be staying at Hilton Riverside. In other words it's not Safe for 2 women babyboomers to walk back after dark. We will be there in October 2011.

Thanks,

Marcy

I took a taxi back to that hotel when out for dinner elsewhere. When you are at that hotel, go across the street (across the trolly and train tracks) to a big patio area on the river. Maybe a 5 minute walk. It is next to RiverWalk mall. Really nice place to have a drink, a meal or just watch the river go by.

Study the hotel layout and decide which building suits you best. They are connected by seem to have different layouts and views.

I happen to really like our airport - it is small and easy to access. The bathrooms are also cleaner than most.

I have been to almost all of the major airports in the U.S. (and a few smaller ones) in the past few years (L.A., San Fran, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, JFK, LaGuardia, John Wayne, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Denver, Green Bay) and New Orleans is the easiest to access. When you land you can get from your gate (even if it is the farthest away) to baggage pick-up in just a few minutes. Unless there is a major even in town (like Jazz Fest, Sugar Bowl, NCAA Final 4, etc.), you can usually get through security quickly, too.

Archived