Freedom, Liberty or Magic--which one?

Cruiserbarbie

Going to be doing a cruise out of Galveston in 2016. Have taken all the cruises previously (ports) but the Freedom, Liberty and Magic (ships) will be new for us, so am choosing cruise based on the ship and not the ports.

Anyone better than the others? Newly remodeled? etc. I generally book a year ahead, so for me this is not to early to get some feedback. Thanks.

Liberty has Guys burgers - yummy! Also the Blue Iguana.

I loved Liberty. Magic is bigger, but no Guys burgers. It does have the Red Frog Pub, where they have various board games that you can play and an outdoor area for smokers. Could not find a hot hot tub on Magic. On Liberty, they were at least warm. Loved the ropes course on Magic. Both ships have slides - Magic just has more. Magic has foosball, pool table, ping pong, nice area on deck where all those are for just sitting & watching. Liberty has ping pong, but no foosball or pool table unless they have added them recently.

Oh, and Liberty's aft pool & hot tubs are adult only. Magic's are not. So, if you're not a big fan of sharing the pool/tubs with kids, go for Liberty.

Freedom was great. Loved it. Then I met the Magic. Needless to say she is my favorite. Love the Cloud 9 spa, Red Frog Pub, Serenity, Italian restaurant, etc.

The Breeze will be here in Nov 2016. Can't wait for that cruise!

Hopefully doing the Liberty repo in March 2016.

I think any of them will be a Great choice.

I think the responses you have received are right on the money for great feedback. The Magic...wow. But, Guys Burgers is a definite plus. I have not sailed the Liberty or Freedom, and don't know the class, but they "sound" like the same class as Conquest and Glory, which I have sailed. Those are also great ships. If you've never done the Magic, Dream or Breeze-- they are a whole new experience and I would suggest those. Conquest was our favorite...until we met Lady Magic! :)

Liberty and Freedom are both Conquest class. They are basically the same ship. The only difference is that Freedom has had the most recent 2.0 upgrades and has an actual Red Frog Pub now. Both have Guys, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Rum Bar, Alchemy Bar, etc. Magic is Dream class ship - slightly bigger and newer. It does not have the Red Frog Pub though and I don't believe she has Guys Burgers. If itenries don't matter, I would opt for the Freedom. That is one of our personal favorites.

Liberty and Freedom are both Conquest class. They are basically the same ship. The only difference is that Freedom has had the most recent 2.0 upgrades and has an actual Red Frog Pub now. Both have Guys, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Rum Bar, Alchemy Bar, etc. Magic is Dream class ship - slightly bigger and newer. It does not have the Red Frog Pub though and I don't believe she has Guys Burgers. If itenries don't matter, I would opt for the Freedom. That is one of our personal favorites.

Agree. Just off the Freedom with the 2.0 upgrades. Great ship and crew.

Been on both the Magic and the Freedom. Magic has more options and venues with more things going on, and probably more kids. So if you want an active, hands on experience, pick ther Magic. If you want a little more time to relax, go with the Freedom. They are both great ships and I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

We've sailed on both the Liberty and the Freedom. They are both very nice Conquest class ships (a popular class of ship that Carnival has a lot of). We did the Valor out of San Juan too, very nice and very similar to these other two (another Conquest class ship). I think most people would be happy on any of these.

We haven't done the Magic yet, but are looking at doing that one in March of 2016 out of Galveston southern route (if DS - 19 who is in college has his spring break the week of March 14th). If his spring break is the week of the 20th instead, we are looking at doing the Magic's sister ship the Dream out of New Orleans. We are going for the Magic just to do something a little different. We let DH pick a Carnival cruise, and he's kind of in that bigger is better camp, that I don't necessarily agree with, but am fine with.

So I guess the bottom line is that the Magic is bigger and newer if that is a factor. All the ships, though, as far as I can tell in my limited cruising experience are kept in good shape with periodic dry docking etc. and are more similar than different in the grand scheme of things.

Carnival has on their webpage a place to compare up to 3 ships:

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships

Although Magic doesn't have the 2.0 upgrades yet, it has a whole lot of other venues and activities that you won't find on the Freedom or Liberty. I have been on both the Freedom and Liberty and personally, the 2.0 extras aren't all that. Guys burgers are good, but nothing to book a cruise over. The ships are nice ships though.

I will be going on the Magic in May and the #1 thing I am looking forward to is the Cove balcony I booked. Only the Dream class (and soon the Vista class) have these staterooms.

Basically, I would determine what is important and interesting to you on ships and use the above link to check off which ship you should choose.

I've only been on the Liberty, but it was one of my favorite cruises. Had a lot to do with the fact that it was my honeymoon and the itinerary was great, but enjoyed the ship and crew vastly.

Guy's Burgers will change your life! The 2.0 upgrades were great but the limited times Blue Iguana was open kind of stunk.

I've read some good and bad for the Magic, but since it is a bigger ship I may go for that if I were you. If I was choosing on ship alone that is what I would do.

Gl!

As one of the others suggested, compare them and see what features are important to you. Everyone is different. For instance, Guys Burgers is good, but definitely not a reason for us to book or not book a cruise. We are one of the very few whose cruise on the Liberty last year was our least favorite. The ship gets rave reviews so maybe it was just a "off" cruise. Out of the three listed, I would choose the Magic. One of the newer ships with lots to do.

I've sailed the Magic three times, Liberty once, and have the Freedom for the July 4 cruise. My best advice is to decide what you're looking for.

Are you looking for adventure... the ropes course, water park, and other activities will keep you busy on your way to port.

Are you looking for relaxation and great food? Take the Liberty or Freedom.

There is plenty to do on each ship, and you'll love each one. My family enjoys all of the ships but here is what is said when we're on the Magic, "The food isn't half as good as the Liberty. Wish they would upgrade this ship!"

And while we were in the Liberty..., "Mom... I'm having a blast, but I really miss the water works on the Magic."

Just decide what you want most out of your cruise and enjoy!

I've sailed all three. If you love trivia, don't pick the Freedom. We just got off yesterday and there was no trivia scheduled (except for Super Trivia) until late in the afternoon. We like the 2.0 upgrades on Liberty and Freedom.

Just to clarify the hot tubs on Magic:

There are 4 cantilevered ones on deck 5, two on each side.

2 at the rear of the ship.

2 in the adults only Serenity area.

If one was not hot enough, we were always able to find a hot one on 5.

I agree with the previous comments that said if you want activity (with the Serenity area for quiet relaxation) go for Magic. If itinerary, embarkation port or Guy's Burgers, etc. lean you toward Freedom or Liberty, you still can't go wrong!

I think you will enjoy any of them. Happy cruising!

Wow! Thanks very much. Hubby loves to cruise, and after many world travels and overseas living, does not want to fly anymore. So, may just take one ship every couple of months and see for ourselves but really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like we can't go wrong on any of them. Regards.