Flowers in Seattle

JohnCoMo

I've read several reviews where people buy flowers at Pike Place Market before boarding their cruise in Seattle. I've been to the market several times and know they have amazing flowers that cost next to nothing. I'm leaving on the Norwegian Pearl this Sunday and was thinking about running up to the market to get some flowers to put in my cabin on the ship.

My question...will the cabin steward bring a vase for the cabin? I'd prefer not to buy a vase at the market but not sure if this is something I can get on board. I'm in a mini-suite if that matters (not a real suite, just a larger balcony cabin without the suite perks).

I doubt it. I have several flat vinyl vases purchased from the Dollar Tree that work well in these situations.

Ombre_Blue_Pink2_980.jpg

At worst you could get a glass from any bar.

I have *hinted* to my husband about this--flowers from PPM in our stateroom. Never thought about a vase! You've made me ready to ask a steward question or embark on a glass hunt ;)

Oh, and by *hinted*, I mean directly told him a couple of times as I have learned that those are the only hints he comprehends. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt it. I have several flat vinyl vases purchased from the Dollar Tree that work well in these situations.

Ombre_Blue_Pink2_980.jpg

At worst you could get a glass from any bar.

Those are cool vases. I've never seen anything like that before. I might have to go look for something tonight. I was in Seattle a few months ago and know that there is a brand new Target right next to Pike Place Market, so worst case scenario I could just buy something cheap there and carry it on the ship.

I have *hinted* to my husband about this--flowers from PPM in our stateroom. Never thought about a vase! You've made me ready to ask a steward question or embark on a glass hunt ;)

Oh, and by *hinted*, I mean directly told him a couple of times as I have learned that those are the only hints he comprehends. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see you are from MO also. I'm going with a group of friends on the Pearl this weekend. Most of us live in Columbia. I've talked most of my group into getting flowers also, so you can just tell your husband that everyone from MO buys flowers at PPM when in Seattle :)

Those are cool vases. I've never seen anything like that before. I might have to go look for something tonight. I was in Seattle a few months ago and know that there is a brand new Target right next to Pike Place Market, so worst case scenario I could just buy something cheap there and carry it on the ship.

Also check out the Daiso in Westgate Center. Many of the items are $1.50.

I wouldn't count on being able to find a vase at the Market. The flower vendors are small-time farmers who grow what they sell. I think the Market rules don't even allow them to also sell manufactured goods at the day stalls.

If you can't find room for a dollar store vase in your luggage (or get one of those cool flat vases that SadieN found! It looks like Amazon has something similar http://amazon.com/dp/B00CX2U8W8), then you may have to depend on the cabin steward. I imagine they've had that question before--hopefully they've come up with an answer.

I have used the collapsible/foldable vase (from the Dollar Store) on several cruises that SadieN is referring to. The only draw back is the mouth on the vase is narrow. I'm planning on stopping by the flower market before my b2b Alaskan cruise to pick up a bouquet and this time I'll use a plastic vase from the Dollar Store. When the cruise is over I'll leave the vase onboard. :D Enjoy your flowers...

Edited by ScootsMom

I would call NORWEGIAN cruise lines and ask them. there's also probably a drug store that you could get a cheap glass vase close to the market.

I'm leaving on the Norwegian Pearl this Sunday and was thinking about running up to the market to get some flowers to put in my cabin on the ship.

My question...will the cabin steward bring a vase for the cabin? I'd prefer not to buy a vase at the market but not sure if this is something I can get on board. I'm in a mini-suite if that matters (not a real suite, just a larger balcony cabin without the suite perks).

I bought beautiful flowers at Pike Place Market in September and took them on the Carnival Miracle with us for our Alaska cruise. It was not a problem at all. They did not sell vases at the market. But one of the flower vendors told me about a shop across the street that sold collapsible cardboard vases. So I went over there and bought a red one and it really accented my beautiful flower in our cabin for the week. They lasted throughout the week for the most part too. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We're doing an Alaska cruise in May of 2015 out of Vancouver and I'm wondering if you can find pretty flowers in Vancouver since we'll have a car to get around to get them that morning if so. Plenty of time to do research for that. And I know I can bring a vase from home, but I'm going to look online to see if they have cardboard ones like the one I bought in Seattle as it will be easier and lighter to travel with.

• 9 months later...

Did it hold water? Do you have a photo?

I bought beautiful flowers at Pike Place Market in September and took them on the Carnival Miracle with us for our Alaska cruise. It was not a problem at all. They did not sell vases at the market. But one of the flower vendors told me about a shop across the street that sold collapsible cardboard vases. So I went over there and bought a red one and it really accented my beautiful flower in our cabin for the week. They lasted throughout the week for the most part too. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We're doing an Alaska cruise in May of 2015 out of Vancouver and I'm wondering if you can find pretty flowers in Vancouver since we'll have a car to get around to get them that morning if so. Plenty of time to do research for that. And I know I can bring a vase from home, but I'm going to look online to see if they have cardboard ones like the one I bought in Seattle as it will be easier and lighter to travel with.

You can't quite imagine the size of the bouquets from the market - think twice that of Costco, three times that of a grocery store. They are impressive.

There's a Cost Plus World Market at 2103 Western, about a block from Pike Place Market, with a selection of vases that might work better than the collapsable for a 20-30 stem bouquet.

I love the idea of taking flowers onboard! So do you just carry on the bouquet in a bag or something when boarding? We are sailing RCI in June, celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and fresh flowers in the cabin would be a lovely touch. :)

I love the idea of taking flowers onboard! So do you just carry on the bouquet in a bag or something when boarding? We are sailing RCI in June, celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and fresh flowers in the cabin would be a lovely touch. :)

I bring a grocery bag from home to carry them on. Do it! They're so inexpensive at PPM and we loved having them in our stateroom! :D (and so much nicer than any flowers my DH has ordered for me through the cruse line, at a fraction of the price)

Enjoy!!

Is there somewhere near the airport to purchase flowers? We are flying in the night before, staying in a hotel near the airport, then taking a Princess transfer to the pier (so I don't think we'll make it to Pike's Place).

There's a very average florist on International Blvd, which is where most airport hotels are located, adjacent to the Washington Memorial Park.

The bouquets we are talking about ($10-15 for what is a $100 bouquet from a florist - it's insane) are found at most farmer's markets in the area - are you flying in Friday for the Saturday departure, or Saturday for the Sunday departure?

Let me throw out a few options:

I'm going to assume the transfer leaves the airport around Noon.

1) use Link light rail to make a run to the market and back. The market is four blocks from the terminus at Westlake Center: exit the station at 3rd and Pine, walk a block south and three blocks west, and you're *there*. The market opens at 9, so if you left the hotel at 8, you could easily be back by 10, flowers in hand. R/T cost is $6pp.

2) Take the transfer to the pier, and grab a ride (taxi, Metro bus, UberX) either back to the market or to, on Saturday, the Magnolia Neighborhood Farmers Market. The latter looks like a walkable distance from the ship; it is not. There is a huge change of grade. The bus will run you $2.50 r/t to either Pike Place or Magnolia. UberX/Lyft around $10 each way. Cab would be slightly more.

3) Ditch the Princess transfer entirely. Use UberX/Lyft from the airport hotel to Pier 91 via the market and pay him the whopping $1.44 to wait for six minutes near the market. Go on your own schedule and avoid the crowds at the airport. $35 for two people including that wait time.

Wow! Thanks for all the info! We are flying in Friday for a Saturday departure. It's our first cruise so I'm a little clueless as to the transfer shuttle times but I'm sure the info is here on CC somewhere. [emoji2] If not, I can always break down and call Princess directly.

I really am not a big fan of Princess transfers here in Seattle; especially for the return to the airport where they drop you at this dreadful mess of a temporary check-in desk. I honestly think you'd be better off using virtually any other way of getting to the pier, especially since you're arriving the night before, and certainly any other way to get back would suck less than ending up where transfers drop you.

With using UberX or Lyft, it would be extremely easy to spend even more time at the Market. You could go from airport to Pier 91 directly, drop off your checked baggage with the porter and stow your hand baggage with the luggage storage service fairly early, say, leave the area around the airport at 9:00ish, then proceed to be dropped off at the market. It's a bit of a backtrack, but completely practical. The Market is filled with cool stuff and you're close to all of downtown, the waterfront, Seattle Art Museum - it would be very low risk to spend up to four hours in Downtown/Pike Place Market and then head to check in. With no luggage you could easily use a Metro bus back to the terminal for $2.50 each with buses leaving downtown six times an hour, or that $10 UberX ride. If it were a nice day and you like a good stroll, there's an excellent pedestrian path alongside the water and you could even walk the two miles back in :45 or so.

I would just like you to see more of Seattle before you sail than an airport hotel and a "motor coach" with 50 other tourists.

I really am not a big fan of Princess transfers here in Seattle; especially for the return to the airport where they drop you at this dreadful mess of a temporary check-in desk. I honestly think you'd be better off using virtually any other way of getting to the pier, especially since you're arriving the night before, and certainly any other way to get back would suck less than ending up where transfers drop you.

With using UberX or Lyft, it would be extremely easy to spend even more time at the Market. You could go from airport to Pier 91 directly, drop off your checked baggage with the porter and stow your hand baggage with the luggage storage service fairly early, say, leave the area around the airport at 9:00ish, then proceed to be dropped off at the market. It's a bit of a backtrack, but completely practical. The Market is filled with cool stuff and you're close to all of downtown, the waterfront, Seattle Art Museum - it would be very low risk to spend up to four hours in Downtown/Pike Place Market and then head to check in. With no luggage you could easily use a Metro bus back to the terminal for $2.50 each with buses leaving downtown six times an hour, or that $10 UberX ride. If it were a nice day and you like a good stroll, there's an excellent pedestrian path alongside the water and you could even walk the two miles back in :45 or so.

I would just like you to see more of Seattle before you sail than an airport hotel and a "motor coach" with 50 other tourists.

Thanks so much!! You almost have me convinced. I might even look at hotels near PPM. Taking some time to explore the Market and surrounding areas (while picking up some amazing flowers for our stateroom) sounds like a great way to start our vacation!

Excellent! The convention and visitors people should SO give me a brightly colored blazer!

I don't think staying out near the airport is the worst idea ever - hotel rates in Seattle during the summer are always high, and this year is predicted to be downright breathtaking. You may luck out and find a steal. But you can definitely see some of our fair city between arrival and the pier.