Sofitel Hotel - London Heathrow Airport

Thought I would start here....

For the last night of our post cruise this September, we decided to stay at the Sofitel, which is adjacent to Terminal 5 at London Heathrow, for the sake of convenience.

Have you stayed here? Their website is not terribly specific. I'm curious about the quality and convenience, if you have experience. We're flying British Airways.

If not terribly convenient, we may remain at the Grosvenor Marriott in Mayfair and cab it to the airport last morning.

Thanks all!

We stayed at the Sofitel post cruise a couple of years ago. We were very happy with our stay there. We took National Express from Southampton back to Heathrow, to the walkway across to the hotel and checked in. Since we arrived fairly early we took the tube into London to wander about a bit and have some dinner. Since we had a fairly early BA flight home it was so nice to only have to cross the walkway back to Terminal 5 to catch our flight. There are pc's and printers in the lobby to check in and print boarding passes. If we ever have another early flight home, we'll definitely try to stay at the Sofitel again.

The room was very comfortable. The hotel is beautiful. We had a nice breakfast before catching our flight.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

The Sofitel is probably the most expensive hotel in the Heathrow area. There are many others that offer perfectly good overnight accommodation for less money. The big difference is that you have to take a taxi to the terminal.

When we fly out of Heathrow we have stayed several times at the Crowne Plaza, as they offer a discounted park-and-fly scheme. The rooms and facilities are excellent and a taxi can be booked for the morning.

I'm curious about the quality and convenience, if you have experience. We're flying British Airways.
Quality - A very good and comfortable hotel, although the rooms are possibly a little on the small side.

Convenience - If you are flying BA from Terminal 5, the Sofitel is outstandingly convenient (as was the aim). It's literally a couple of minutes' walk to the check-in area.

However, if you're already staying several nights in central London and your flight is not particularly early, I would not move hotels. It would be more interesting to have another night in central London and get a taxi to the airport in the morning.

If not terribly convenient, we may remain at the Grosvenor Marriott in Mayfair and cab it to the airport last morning.

This is a classic reason why one shouldn't abbreviate, especially in London - which Grosvenor Marriott? :D There are 2 - Grosvenor Square and Grosvenor House... We stayed at the latter on an overnight connection a couple of years ago, wonderful place. Heathrow Express to Paddington, then taxi to our hotel - most efficient. I'm sure the Sofitel is lovely, but unless your plane is at 5 am, I'm with Globaliser - stay at the Marriott.

Thanks for the tips, and er...the lesson on abbreviating? :rolleyes: I wasn't asking for an opinion on the Marriott Grosvenor (House, by the way); however, I was asking about the Sofitel.

All in good fun, no worries.

Thanks for the tips, and er ... the lesson on abbreviating?
But it is a very real issue in London (and the UK generally).

A group of our friends was meeting for dinner in a restaurant on Royal Mint Street here in London. One of these friends thinks he's trendy by doing the American thing of only using part of the street name. He almost missed dinner because he spent so long wandering around Royal Mint Court looking for the restaurant.

If you already know the dangers and you don't think you need the warning, then apologies.

Thanks for the tips, and er...the lesson on abbreviating? :rolleyes: I wasn't asking for an opinion on the Marriott Grosvenor (House, by the way); however, I was asking about the Sofitel.

All in good fun, no worries.

Stay in central London and hire a car service. We recommend www.totallydriven.co.uk/url]. No packing and un packing and the ride to Heathrow in usually not too bad in the morning.

That being said, we do like the Sofitel hotels and the on in terminal 5 is very convenient and has a very good restaurant.

Edited by orchestrapal

Thanks Bob++ and orchestra pal!

No worries about the abbreviating lesson, it is a real problem here in San Francisco as well, especially with street names and our districts - as I imagine many places. I want not attempting to be "trendy", nor do I consider that even a trend. Working for a hotel bureau and in contact with US-based hotel properties, I understand the difference. Here in SF we have the Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt and Wharf Hyatt - all Hyatt Regency properties - same with a few Marriott properties. I get it. The Grosvenor House or Grosvenor Place was not what I was questioning (as the two properties are only yards away from one another). I was attempting to keep this thread on track with my original question. Thanks for your concern! :)

Edited by Mermen

• 5 months later...

Post cruise last month, we stayed at the Marriott Grosvenor House on Park Lane for a few nights then transferred to the Sofitel for the night before our flight back to SFO.

The service at Sofitel was amazing. We received a complimentary upgrade (thanks to Havinder) and the room was fantastic. Food was great too - and though we have stayed at the Marriott Grosvenor many times…feel that they have some serious competition with the Sofitel. Granted two different locations, but will never hesitate to stay a night or two at Sofitel Heathrow. Walking to the terminal was a breeze (up the elevator and escalator) and we were there. For us, the service was a notch better at Sofitel. :)

Thanks for checking back in. We have also stayed st Sofitel at Terminal 5 and agree that it is a wonderful place to stay. We also had a lovely big room and wonderful bathroom, service was fabulous and we had a delicious dinner at their restaurant. The convenience of a short walk to the terminal to catch an early morning flight was icing on the cake. I highly recommend it especially if you have an early flight.

We stayed there a week ago. We were supposed to fly Air France non-stop to LA from Paris, but when Air France went on strike and cancelled our flight, we made new arrangements to fly British Airways to London, where we spent the night before connecting the next day on Virgin Atlantic to LA. The Sofitel was perfect for the overnight stay. We were able to access the train easily into London, where we had a short visit to the V&A and dinner in the city. We could have taken the train back, but chose a taxi instead, which was also a very easy alternative. The hotel staff were very helpful with train directions. The breakfast buffet was fantastic - so many choices - and it wasn't even a Sunday brunch. The room was very clean and the bed was more than adequate. Would I do it again? Definitely, and I probably will because I'm never flying Air France again. The Sofitel in Terminal 5 goes way above your typical "airport" hotel. For your one night, you can't go wrong.

Shelley

For those wondering about the Sofitel Hotel at LHR I think it is one of the best airport hotels I have ever stayed at. Rooms are quiet and the Hotel has a great look and the service is great.

You can also take the train into London.

I wouldn't stay there for a long visit to London but for those who are connecting on flights that don't leave until the next day or even staying two nights but essentially 1 1/2 days and then flying out it is very convenient and a great hotel.

Keith

I have stayed at the Sofitel T5 from when it first opened. Whenever I transit though Heathrow I stay there as my flights in are usually late evening, and leaving early morning. Food, service, staff are the best.

Yes it can be a bit more expensive, but good rates can be had.

Glad you enjoyed it.