Stock Market & Cruise

sfaaa

I sold some stock the last time this happened. Not a lot, but I was going on a cruise so I thought I didn't want to worry about the market while away. I put it in a Money Market account.

When I got back the market had started to rebound.

Turns out the day I sold the stock was the very lowest point in the "great recession."

:o:eek:

No doubt about it. TruckerDave likes his interior cabin on Deck One.

ha, see what you know........I'm heading for Nebraska and going to live in an old missile silo. No water for me, hurricanes are scary also. :eek: I'm going to be 1000+ miles form any ocean. I've been watching those "prepping" shows so I am all set for the end of the world. :p

ha, see what you know........I'm heading for Nebraska and going to live in an old missile silo. No water for me, hurricanes are scary also. :eek: I'm going to be 1000+ miles form any ocean. I've been watching those "prepping" shows so I am all set for the end of the world. :p

There are a few up here in northern Vermont and across the lake in N.Y.. When fixed up they really make a great home. But the only water you find in the ground water that fills the silos if the sump pump fails. I, for one. think it's a great idea.

...sent with a side on maple syrup......

...unfortunately it does......if you have a pension,also your local taxes which will have to supplement retirees pension of your local town or city if the pension fund does not hit a certain level of return.......federal taxes if tax returns do not show a certain level of un-earned income taxes.....I can go on but unfortunately it does affect you in some way. (unless you are like TruckerDave and hide in the basement;):D)

I understand everything you posted, but none of it impacts or stops us from doing what we want. We can still afford it.:)

There are a few up here in northern Vermont and across the lake in N.Y.. When fixed up they really make a great home. But the only water you find in the ground water that fills the silos if the sump pump fails. I, for one. think it's a great idea.

...sent with a side on maple syrup......

I grew up in Maine. We didn't have any silos....we just had the B-52's up at Loring AFB. But between Brunswick NAS, Bath Iron Works, the Portsmouth Naval shipyard and Pease AFB the whole southern Maine/Southern NH area was a pretty early target back in the day. :eek:

Growing up with that thought......whatever the stock market doesn't really doesn't phase me a bit.

Edited by TruckerDave

Two-three years ago we cruised more often than we ever had before or since.

The world economy was not good, stock market was down,and our currency was strong. Cruise prices were the lowest we had ever seen do we kept on taking advantage. Now prices are up, our currency is down so cruising is north nearly as attractive to us so we are doing more independent land travel.

Great information here. If you are a Canadian I understand why your dollar could be much stronger (Ouch!). The cruise that I want to take just raise its price 10% today. I realize final payment is due in two weeks and I figure the cruise line is desperate at the moment. There are plenty of cabins available and after all those people cancel because of a panic stock market I will be able to book this one cheap. I'm expecting at least a 30% price drop within three weeks. Just like the stock market it can't stay up all the time. Tim

Seeing some rebounding has occurred, the failure to make final payment may not be as great as it might have been.

Either one can afford a particular thing at a given time or they cannot. One must make that judgment for themselves.

Cruising is just one option for us. Prices are up and our currency is down. So we are doing a month travelling in Greece. Their economy is a disaster. Prices are down, including air which we booked at the height of the turmoil. And Greece is close to the top of our bucket list for a return trip. Our back-up plan in case the situation went south was simply to ferry to Turkey or go the opposite way to Croatia/ Italy.

We may sneak a last minute cruise but the chances of doing so this time appear slim based on what we have seen in the marketplace.

Edited by iancal

Cruising is just one option for us. Prices are up and our currency is down. So we are doing a month travelling in Greece. Their economy is a disaster. Prices are down, including air which we booked at the height of the turmoil. And Greece is close to the top of our bucket list for a return trip. Our back-up plan in case the situation went south was simply to ferry to Turkey or go the opposite way to Croatia/ Italy.

We may sneak a last minute cruise but the chances of doing so this time appear slim based on what we have seen in the marketplace.

all you have you do is follow the refugees from Syria that are making their way to Serbia.....they even feel Greece is too unstable for them.....