Advice on Radiance class ships - deck 10 staterooms view and noise

I'm looking to book my first Alaskan cruise and I've always wanted to try the Radiance class. I've done multiple ships on the Sovereign class, Voyager class, and I just proposed to my now-fiance on Oasis in May! (In front of a photographer on formal night too! :D )

I'd like to book a JS or GS, but I have a two big questions. On Radiance class ships, they are almost all on Deck 10: right below the pool deck. This violates my "sandwich" rule of booking rooms below and above passenger decks for peace and quiet. How well can you hear the top deck? I realize that depends where you are on the deck, but any feedback is welcome.

Second, most staterooms are "indented" on the ship. Looking straight down and you see the roof of Deck 6. See photo below. This isn't too much of a problem I guess - you want to see OUT more than DOWN. But has anyone found this an issue at all?

Radiance.jpg

Thanks so much all!

With regard to seeing the roof of deck 6, it was not an issue for us at all. Very little of the view is obstructed, and we find we are mostly looking out, not straight down.

What you have circled is the canopy that covers the life boats below. Not a real problem it just does not allow you to look straight down into the water. When sitting on your balcony, you normally look out over the water.

As far as noise when staying on Deck 10, depending on where your cabin is located you will hear walking, running, chairs moving and food carts being pushed. You can't avoid it when there are no cabins above you.

We always stay on Deck 10 on Radiance class ships and have really never found the noise to be a problem. I guess it just depends on how much noise will really bother you.

Edited by cruisenfever

For Alaska, you can't beat an aft cabin. There are two JS and one GS back there. Radiance also has on GS on the hump and I think Jewel has two. But, all those are likely long since taken by now. Personally, I would prefer an aft standard balcony, especially if only two people, to a JS or GS anywhere else on the ship.

Not gonna tell you what to do with your money, but I've never really understood why a couple needs anything more than a standard balcony, particularly in Alaska. An aft balcony on decks 8 or 9, would allow you to be sandwiched between cabins and offer spectacular views, IMO.

The canopy over the life boats on Deck 6 does not really obstruct the view. If you are on Deck 7 directly above, the viewing angle is different, but the one time we sailed on that deck, we did not find it to be a problem. Some do, however, so it depends on the person. Deck 10 has the overhang from above, so it can appear in photos taken from your balcony. It also affects sun exposure. Depending on your Deck 10 location, you will hear noises from different sources: Windjammer, pool, Park Cafe, and Solarium.

Thanks everyone, you guys (and gals) rock... this is what I was looking for!

Depending on your Deck 10 location, you will hear noises from different sources: Windjammer, pool, Park Cafe, and Solarium.
We always stay on Deck 10 on Radiance class ships and have really never found the noise to be a problem. I guess it just depends on how much noise will really bother you.

Thanks! Some areas are more noisy than others. ("Where is the least amount of traffic?") I'm not in my stateroom a lot, but I'm a very light sleeper. Appreciate the replies!

With regard to seeing the roof of deck 6, it was not an issue for us at all. Very little of the view is obstructed, and we find we are mostly looking out, not straight down.

Seems to be the consensus. The point is to look OUT more than down, right? :)

Not gonna tell you what to do with your money, but I've never really understood why a couple needs anything more than a standard balcony, particularly in Alaska.

I can understand this, and I've done inside, balconies, and suites before. Just depended on the cruise, ship, timing, and a handful of other variables. I'm just looking for something a little "suite-er" for my next cruise.

We were in a JS Mid Ship this past March & April on the Radiance and never heard any noise from above, We were under the WJ. I did notice if I wished to take a picture from our balcony, I had to zoom a little to get past the overhang, otherwise, no problem.

Nothing beats an aft cabin on Radiance class, especially for Alaska. I've been in 1602 (2x), 8168 and 9256. All amazing. We didn't have any noise issues in 1602 until departure morning, but we were up early then.

I'm looking to book my first Alaskan cruise and I've always wanted to try the Radiance class.

Radiance.jpg

Thanks so much all!

We did THAT cabin on our Radiance trip : #1554. The view was fine and the noise from above a non issue. Balcony actually seemed a little bigger due to the odd size.

However, the noise from the card lounge off the Centrum was a different story. People play Dominos and Rummikub 25 hours a day. On Radiance-class ships with the card room down below (Serenade), not a problem. Yes, we also could hear when they did the show in the Centrum but that wasn't exactly at oddball, unexpected hours.

Also, for the welfare of the neighbors had to make sure to keep the robe closed on that balcony, though it was nice to actually be able to see the direction of travel and not just the "airplane view" 90-degrees to the side.

This thread may be of some relevance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43457031#post43457031

I have the issue as you - looking for a quiet spot. I currently have GS 1050 on Brilliance, but the risk of rolling carts etc. may make me consider this cruise altogther. Being a light sleeper, I always go by the "sandwich doctrine" myself.

Also, for the welfare of the neighbors had to make sure to keep the robe closed on that balcony

LOL! Noted, but cannot make guarantees against accidental "wardrobe malfunctions." Thanks for feedback on that cabin!

I always go by the "sandwich doctrine" myself

Best way to go!

I love that the newer ships have a variety of categories across many decks. BUT, I haven't tried the Radiance class so I might not follow the "sandwich doctrine" this time or just go for an standard balcony (can't go wrong there!)

We had aft balcony 8172 on Radiance last year for Alaska, and it was PERFECT. There are several pics on this page of my blog: RADIANCE

I agree with the PP, that for just two of us, we don't feel the need for anything more than a balcony cabin, but of course that is personal preference!

I was in GS 1532 Starboard side- lots of chairs moving overhead starting at

5:00 am. Directly under the Park Cafe. I heard that 1032 didn't have any noise.

The Park Cafe is only on Starboard. View was amazing.

The Centorium had load music til 1:00 am on a few nights.

There is nothing better than the Suite life in Alaska.

JD the concierge was terrific.

Note: Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway the ship docked on Port side.

Icy Straight was parked head on. Seaward was parked on Starboard.

If going NB- the fork lift wakes you up in Seaward at 4:30am on Starboard side.

Have a great trip

We had a JS while on the Serenade a couple years back that was right underneath the Windjammer. While my wife heard nothing, I was awakened every morning at 4am with the sound of food carts being rolled across the brick - like floor. I would refer to it as "rolling thunder."

Just off of the Jewel and GS 1050 - we only heard noise one night while the late night pool party was happening. There was a notice in our cabin that day to advise us and offer an advanced apology for the noise. We never heard a rolling cart, moving deck chair or any other noise in that suite - you did have a great view of the Concierge lounge window from one corner of the balcony though :).

Did room 1556 (GS) on Radiance for Alaska in June. Never heard any noise from above. However, did hear every now and then noise from the "card room" area.

One big advantage of having the overhang was protection from any rain. While I was lucky and only had one rain day, Juneau, it was nice to have.

Pictures of the room: http://gallery.mjcwebdesign.com/main.php?g2_itemId=8874

I'll have to check to see if I had any down looking shots.

Edited by chandom

Just off of the Jewel and GS 1050 - we only heard noise one night while the late night pool party was happening. There was a notice in our cabin that day to advise us and offer an advanced apology for the noise. We never heard a rolling cart, moving deck chair or any other noise in that suite - you did have a great view of the Concierge lounge window from one corner of the balcony though :).

Thank you, thank you. Really needed to hear that! Hope 1050 on Brilliance is similar.

Did room 1556 (GS) on Radiance for Alaska in June. Never heard any noise from above. However, did hear every now and then noise from the "card room" area.

One big advantage of having the overhang was protection from any rain. While I was lucky and only had one rain day, Juneau, it was nice to have.

Pictures of the room: http://gallery.mjcwebdesign.com/main.php?g2_itemId=8874

I'll have to check to see if I had any down looking shots.

Awesome gallery! I'm sure the noise from the card room wasn't too over the top. Then again, I've played with some really competitive and rowdy people :rolleyes: