Great Barrier Reef stinger suits on excursions

I've heard the sting rays are bad this time of year, more so to the islands close in like Green or Low Isles. Stinger suits w/hoody and gloves cover most everything. Wondering if going to outer reefs these little ones (only about an inch in size) even exist. Any info greatly appreciated as this is our first time to GBR and really want to snorkel!

I've heard the sting rays are bad this time of year, more so to the islands close in like Green or Low Isles. Stinger suits w/hoody and gloves cover most everything. Wondering if going to outer reefs these little ones (only about an inch in size) even exist. Any info greatly appreciated as this is our first time to GBR and really want to snorkel!

The creatures to beware of are marine stingers. They are found in a lot of areas of the world, not just Australia. The two species that can cause a problem are Box jellyfish (30cm diameter box-shaped top with long tentacles) and Irukandji (the size of the top of your thumb with tentacles). Box jellyfish are generally close to shore in shallow water, while the Irukandji can be near the reef. An extensive sting from a box jellyfish can be fatal. A sting from the Irukandji is very rarely fatal, but is very painful. Hospital treatment is always recommended and is a necessity after a bad sting.

The 'stinger season' is generally regarded as November to about April. Tour operators should have stinger suits available. These are light-weight lycra body suits.

I have snorkelled several times on the reef and never had a problem. Your tour operator will do everything they can to keep you safe. It is certainly in their best interests. :)

Wear a stinger suit regardless. We were on the GBR Nov/Dec and there were a few fatalities thought to be from jellyfish. All the tours we went on Quicksilver and Sailaway had suits. They cover almost all your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I endorse this recommendation, better to be safe than sorry - do not take any chance with the stingers as there have been some unexplained fatalities on the GBR in recent months which may or may not be the effects of a stinger bite but no double will be made public at some time in the future.

As someone who grew up in the Whitsundays and live back here now, I would never go in the ocean without a stinger suit. Many of us up this way are of the option that all these people dying from Heart Attacks while scuba diving are actually being stung by Irukandji which then causes the heart attack. May not be true, but it's more than possible since these things are so small.

I'd like to add... Irukandji are extremely venomous and even more so than the Box Jellyfish, but the Box Jellyfish kills quicker. If you can get medical treatment fairly quickly, you have a better chance of surviving the sting.

Edited by joandian

Great info - thanks to all! The Silversonic tour by Quicksilver (Port Douglas), provides suits and from photos I've seen, it looks like hoody's and gloves too are part of the outfit. At Agincourt Reef we're on a huge platform with an underwater observatory, submersible boats, glass bottom boats - all part of your 3 hrs. at the reef. If one wants to stay dry, you can. Being as ones face is still exposed to the little stinger (size of ones thumb nail and not visible), not sure if it's worth getting wet. Thanks again!

Great info - thanks to all! The Silversonic tour by Quicksilver (Port Douglas), provides suits and from photos I've seen, it looks like hoody's and gloves too are part of the outfit. At Agincourt Reef we're on a huge platform with an underwater observatory, submersible boats, glass bottom boats - all part of your 3 hrs. at the reef. If one wants to stay dry, you can. Being as ones face is still exposed to the little stinger (size of ones thumb nail and not visible), not sure if it's worth getting wet. Thanks again!

It is a nice spot as well. Enjoy.

It is a nice spot as well. Enjoy.

Kind of you to share some great tips here and elsewhere. So, IYHO it's worth the 1 1/2 hr cruise on this amazing Quicksilver cat, great buffet lunch, submersible etc in order to hang at this huge ribbon reef?

Kind of you to share some great tips here and elsewhere. So, IYHO it's worth the 1 1/2 hr cruise on this amazing Quicksilver cat, great buffet lunch, submersible etc in order to hang at this huge ribbon reef?

Definitely, I will warn you though to have some kwells or ginger tablets at the ready if you get a bit squeamish on smaller boats. The Cat goes quite fast so there can be some bumping across the swell and some people react to that.:D

• 4 weeks later...
Just to add that the ship's tours and all the big tour companies provide the stinger suits as part of the tour cost, although it is best to clarify when booking the tour.:D

We will be on Celebrity Solstice. Do you know if they provide the suits? Thanks!

We will be on Celebrity Solstice. Do you know if they provide the suits? Thanks!

I think your best option is to search for a tour you would like to do and then contact the relevant tour operator and ask them. That way you will know for sure.

We are currently on Solstice, and did the group GBR tour from Cairns. The CAT took us to the reef and the vendor had stinger suits in all sizes available for use from the platform. Most people used them as a precaution. All equipment was included in the price of the tour.

At the shore excursions 'talk' on the boat they mentioned that if you were taking the smaller tours where you dive and snorkel right from the Cat, they offer stringer suits but might charge $5-6 dollars to use their suits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are currently on Solstice, and did the group GBR tour from Cairns. The CAT took us to the reef and the vendor had stinger suits in all sizes available for use from the platform. Most people used them as a precaution. All equipment was included in the price of the tour.

At the shore excursions 'talk' on the boat they mentioned that if you were taking the smaller tours where you dive and snorkel right from the Cat, they offer stringer suits but might charge $5-6 dollars to use their suits.

Sorry to change topic, but would you recommend this tour? How much snorkeling time did you get?

Thanks for sharing this info with us and I hope you enjoyed your experience. I assume that you took CN01 and are referring to a charge on CN30. Just to clarify, I checked the shore excursions booklet and it indicates the the suits are included. I don't know why they would have mentioned that there might be a charge for them. :confused:

Kim

Kim

I think we took CN01, which was the Cat to a platform. It was the slightly less expensive of the 2 GBR CAT trips from Cairns, and the suits were included. I referenced the 5_6 dollar charge as the speaker from shore excursions said on one of the excursions they might have a charge for the suits. He was not specific as to which boat.

As for time as the reef we were there over 3 hours. Didn't take a watch so this is ballpark. Keep in mind, we went day one, so we didn't start boarding the Cat until about 10:30, where as day 2 you queue up to leave earlier. The second day might have been more time on the platform than day 1.

This was definitely the more laid back tour. It was great for all ages, and abilities. There were non-swimmers that just went out for the small boat tours, that gave you a close look at the fish and coral without getting wet. There were divers and all level on snorkelers in the water. The coral around the platform was beautiful, and there were lots of fish. I would guess you might see more fish on the small boat snorkel tours.

Kim

I think we took CN01, which was the Cat to a platform. It was the slightly less expensive of the 2 GBR CAT trips from Cairns, and the suits were included. I referenced the 5_6 dollar charge as the speaker from shore excursions said on one of the excursions they might have a charge for the suits. He was not specific as to which boat.

As for time as the reef we were there over 3 hours. Didn't take a watch so this is ballpark. Keep in mind, we went day one, so we didn't start boarding the Cat until about 10:30, where as day 2 you queue up to leave earlier. The second day might have been more time on the platform than day 1.

This was definitely the more laid back tour. It was great for all ages, and abilities. There were non-swimmers that just went out for the small boat tours, that gave you a close look at the fish and coral without getting wet. There were divers and all level on snorkelers in the water. The coral around the platform was beautiful, and there were lots of fish. I would guess you might see more fish on the small boat snorkel tours.

Thank you!!! We have been contemplating between taking a private tour or going with Celebrity but with all of the tenders, I am reluctant to book private tours. Now to decide which tour to the reef to book. We are also going to go on Day 1.

Kim 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
I can recommend doing the Ship's tour to the outer reef, much more convenient and only slightly more expensive but you know the ship takes responsibility if things are not satisfactory and may compensate.

We finally decided to book the ships tour - CN30. Its one on the highlights that I'm looking forward to on this cruise.