Cost of Schonbrunn Palace tour on Viking

Babo02

Thank you. I checked the Palace website and tickets are 14 Euros per person. That's a heck of a difference.

Markup...We were on Uniworld and did this on our own. The subway is very easy and cost very little to take from the dock to the palace. We actually were on the city tour of Vienna and when everyone else was heading back to the ship, we took subway to Palace. So we missed a free lunch on the boat, but their is an excellent restaurant on site and it's very reasonably priced. So happy we did did this on our own. Another bonus, we had the next day free when everyone else was off to the palace.

The biggest benefit was we had 5 hours to explore and those on the $$$ ships "tour" only had about 1 hour free time

We were provided excellent headsets and the self guided tour was excellent.

We did this just last week - we were on Avalon and the cruise line's price was 44 Euros. Instead, we took the Ubahn subway from the station across the street from our hotel (Intercontinental). That cost 4 Euros return. We bought a Sisi ticket at the Hofburg for 23.50 Euros, - that covered admission to the imperial silver collection one day, and the Schonbrunn palace the second day. We took the Ubahn subway to Schonbrunn for a cost of 2 Euros each way.....and were able to visit 2 attractions. An added bonus with the Sisi ticket was was that we didn't have to wait in line to get into the Schonbrunn. So instead of paying 88 Euros for 2 of us on a bus with a limited time, we paid 55 Euros -- the saving was enough for a giant schnitzel at Figlmuller!

If you don't have the time or interest to visit the Hofburg you can simply buy an admission ticket at Schonbrunn, for (I think) about 14 Euros.

Thanks for the information. That definitely sounds like what we will be doing.

:-)

Forgot to add that you might very well have been on the same cruise as my brother and sister-in-law.

Edited by Babo02
Adding information.

• 2 years later...
I went on this tour in June with Viking and it was 49 E and that included the bus transportation. I enjoyed it. We had guided time and some (not much) free time.

COOL ! I''l have to do that in April :)

It depends on how much time you have in Vienna....

Unfortunately our CHEF took a group to the market at the same time as the palace tour....probably would have opted for the market experience as we saw other palaces as the days went on....

thanks everyone for their input. Since excursions are included, I don't know why this one is extra. Oh well ! Since it does not seem to be too much I think I might need to see the Schönbrunn Palace. :) Sounds as if it is THE palace of the famous Habsburg dynasty. I love history, so of course I would enjoy seeing where the Holy Roman Emperors resided. I've been to Versailles and was most impressed. ;)

Schönbrunn is quite impressive and worth the visit. The palace is really nice, but the gardens are even better. I am glad we visited on our own, though, because we could spend a few hours wandering around the gardens, and not feel rushed to leave with a group after a shorter time.

Schönbrunn is quite impressive and worth the visit. The palace is really nice, but the gardens are even better. I am glad we visited on our own, though, because we could spend a few hours wandering around the gardens, and not feel rushed to leave with a group after a shorter time.

Thanks.

I'll look into doing it independently, but being a solo traveler I'll likely stay with the group. :)

Going to be on the AMASonata starting 12/17 and the Schonbrunn Palace option tour is 39 Euros and that includes the bus to/from the ship and a visit to the Christmas markets.

I must admit your statement surprised me as I thought AMA was one of the all-inclusive lines with no optional extras. Thanks for that. I've learnt something new ..... again.... :)

Almost all of the tours are included in the price. But it appears, like the other cruise lines, that there are some optional tours. The day we are in Vienna, they offer one included tour and 2 optional tours at different times so you could do all three. The two optional tours are Schonbrunn (39 Euro) and Mozart & Strauss concert (59 Euros). The only other "optional tours" that you would have to pay extra for on our entire 14 day cruise are an all-day Salzburg excursion (65 Euros) and a Rothenburg half-day excursion (49 Euros). There are included tours offered during both of these optional tours so it is not a situation of if you don't pay, you don't have a tour. All other tours, usually as many as 3 options per port are included.

The only other things you may pay for on AMA are alcoholic drinks outside of beer/wine at lunch/dinner and champagne at breakfast, laundry service and messages. Everything else is included in the price.

Almost all of the tours are included in the price. But it appears, like the other cruise lines, that there are some optional tours. The day we are in Vienna, they offer one included tour and 2 optional tours at different times so you could do all three. The two optional tours are Schonbrunn (39 Euro) and Mozart & Strauss concert (59 Euros). The only other "optional tours" that you would have to pay extra for on our entire 14 day cruise are an all-day Salzburg excursion (65 Euros) and a Rothenburg half-day excursion (49 Euros). There are included tours offered during both of these optional tours so it is not a situation of if you don't pay, you don't have a tour. All other tours, usually as many as 3 options per port are included.

The only other things you may pay for on AMA are alcoholic drinks outside of beer/wine at lunch/dinner and champagne at breakfast, laundry service and messages. Everything else is included in the price.

we had the same experience on Vantage. Virtually all shore excursions were included but Schonbrunn was extra. Having been to Versailles, Schonbrunn, Catherine Palace and Peterhof, I can see why. The admissions to all these places is pretty steep. Only thing I will say is Versailles and Schonbrun are fantastic....until you've seen Catherine's and Peterhof! :)

Sounds as if it is THE palace of the famous Habsburg dynasty. I love history, so of course I would enjoy seeing where the Holy Roman Emperors resided. I've been to Versailles and was most impressed. ;)

Yes it is. The Habsburg's in-town residence was the mighty Hofburg which serves as the President's office, also as a museum and as a venue for meetings and elegant dancing balls by various non-government organizations. There a concerts in the chapel.

Thanks.

I'll look into doing it independently, but being a solo traveler I'll likely stay with the group. :)

You might be surprised. We often find others that want the flexibility of independent tours and will share a taxi or be support navigating public transit. Ride together and tour at you own pace.

Yes it is. The Habsburg's in-town residence was the mighty Hofburg which serves as the President's office, also as a museum and as a venue for meetings and elegant dancing balls by various non-government organizations. There a concerts in the chapel.

I just read that the Habsburgs had two homes and Schonbunn was the summer residence. That explains the elaborate gardens. ;)

What a life ! :D

You might be surprised. We often find others that want the flexibility of independent tours and will share a taxi or be support navigating public transit. Ride together and tour at you own pace.

I do make friends easily so I never know. :)

I just read that the Habsburgs had two homes and Schonbunn was the summer residence. That explains the elaborate gardens. ;)

What a life ! :D

Helps you understand why there was a revolution! All that gold as trim in the palaces with 100's of rooms and the people outside were starving to keep the royalty in luxury.

Helps you understand why there was a revolution! All that gold as trim in the palaces with 100's of rooms and the people outside were starving to keep the royalty in luxury.

No revolution in Austria-Hungary (or the Austrian Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary). It was one of 4 empires that collapsed as a result of losing WW-I (Germany, Russia, Turkey/Ottoman and Austria-Hungary). Two empires that did win and survive (Great Britain and France) were mortally wounded and died of their wounds after WW-II.

No revolution in Austria-Hungary (or the Austrian Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary). It was one of 4 empires that collapsed as a result of losing WW-I (Germany, Russia, Turkey/Ottoman and Austria-Hungary). Two empires that did win and survive (Great Britain and France) were mortally wounded and died of their wounds after WW-II.

True and the multi-national citizens of the Austrian-Hungarian empire did not starve before WW-I.

YEAH ! :D Just like in France :eek: