Is there an advantage in docking at King's Wharf vs Hamilton?

Orangefan

I was wondering if there is a big difference docking at King's Wharf vs Hamilton? I realize that different cruise lines have their favorite docks. Are there more things to see and do near one dock as compared to the other ? I realize that people take excursions, but using water taxi's and buses might be more abundant at one location compared to another. Thanks.

Sali

The vast majority of ships going to Bermuda now berth at Dockyard simply because they're too big to dock elsewhere.

I used to prefer Hamilton, but over the years Dockyard has been specifically been developed to be the main center for cruise ship tourism, while Hamilton is mostly the government and business center of Bermuda.

There is frequent ferry service between the two...and it's only a 20 minute trip.

You can take a ferry directly to St. George's from Dockyard in about 40 minutes, but to get there from Hamilton requires about a 1 hour bus ride.

The central bus terminal is in Hamilton, so it can be faster to get to some attractions from Hamilton than from Dockyard.

Personally, I would make the choice based on the cruise ship/cruise line you prefer rather than whether it happens to dock in one place versus the other. (Actually, my favorite place to dock is St. George's, but at most a couple of ships per year now dock there.)

Having been to St. Georges on the NCL Majesty one year, then the following year on the Dream we wern't able to get through the cut at St. Georges so we went to Hamilton, that was great, walk off the ship right in downtown Hamilton, this time we will be docked at Kings Wharf on the Dawn so another new experience for me. I loved Hamilton as it was kind of central but, lets face it, any port in Bermuda is beautiful! :)

I would still like to dock in Hamilton. Remember when the ships docked in Hamilton, they usually left there and went over to St. George also. Those were the two main stops, no one went to the dockyards then. I understand the ships can't get into Hamilton and just make the best of it.

I'm more ticked off that it now takes the ships 2 1/2 days to get to Bermuda unlike the 1 1/2 days it used to take. We were in Bermuda for 3 1/2 days, it was really nice then.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if there is a big difference docking at King's Wharf vs Hamilton? I realize that different cruise lines have their favorite docks. Are there more things to see and do near one dock as compared to the other ? I realize that people take excursions, but using water taxi's and buses might be more abundant at one location compared to another. Thanks.

Sali

There is no comparison to being docked in Hamilton. You can come and go as you wish 24 hours a day and you are at the transportation hub of the island.

The only advantage of King's Wharf is the direct ferry to St. Georges which takes 40 minutes or so. The bus takes a bit over an hour, but you do see a great deal of the north shore of the island.

The ferry between Hamilton and King's Wharf is a quick 10 minute hop.

I don't really care for Hamilton. It's a city. I love the Dockyard and there is a lot to do there. If you are there for a couple of days take the ferry to St. George and spend a day at the Dockyard. You can also take the bus from the Dockyard to several nice beaches only about 15 to 20 minutes away from the Dockyard.

• 3 weeks later...
I would still like to dock in Hamilton. Remember when the ships docked in Hamilton, they usually left there and went over to St. George also. Those were the two main stops, no one went to the dockyards then. I understand the ships can't get into Hamilton and just make the best of it.

I'm more ticked off that it now takes the ships 2 1/2 days to get to Bermuda unlike the 1 1/2 days it used to take. We were in Bermuda for 3 1/2 days, it was really nice then.

That's the reason my wife and I are cruising on Veendam in June. 4 days docked in Hamilton with 1.5 Days cruising back and forth. Hamilton has so much more to offer than the Dockyard. If the ships could fit, they all would Dock in Hamilton or St. George.

I don't really care for Hamilton. It's a city. I love the Dockyard and there is a lot to do there. If you are there for a couple of days take the ferry to St. George and spend a day at the Dockyard. You can also take the bus from the Dockyard to several nice beaches only about 15 to 20 minutes away from the Dockyard.

My feelings exactly. I love visiting the fort and museum at dockyard.

Laura

• 4 weeks later...

But last ferry from Hamilton to Dockyards is 10:30 pm on weeknights--which is when ships are in port. Helps if you want to go to town for Harbor Nights or even a nice drink at a place with a deck facing the port.

That's the reason my wife and I are cruising on Veendam in June. 4 days docked in Hamilton with 1.5 Days cruising back and forth. Hamilton has so much more to offer than the Dockyard. If the ships could fit, they all would Dock in Hamilton or St. George.

This is just my opinion, I know nothing for sure, but was thinking they stretch the time to get there to keep you a captive audience and spending on the ship, rather than the port. Saw an interesting show on MSNBC--cruising is all about the numbers for the cruise line. They have to get every guest to spend x amount of dollars for the sailing to be profitable.

But last ferry from Hamilton to Dockyards is 10:30 pm on weeknights--which is when ships are in port. Helps if you want to go to town for Harbor Nights or even a nice drink at a place with a deck facing the port.

The last ferry is at 10:30 on the Wednesdays when the Harbour Nights festival is being held. On all other weeknights the last ferry is at 8:30 .

I think whether you like Dockyard or Hamilton is about personal choice. There is more and better shopping in Hamilton, but Dockyard has a more historic atmosphere and has the small Snorkel Park Beach, Minigolf, and the National Museum of Bermuda. Hamilton is in the center of the island, but getting to the south shore beaches, especially Horseshoe Bay is easier from Dockyard. At Dockyard you tend to be surrounded by cruise passengers, while in Hamilton you are in the middle of the capital of Bermuda. Both have access to St. George's but I think the ferry from Dockyard is easier and more comfortable than the bus from Hamilton. So as others said, pick the cruise line and ship you like, as both ports have advantages. You can get off the ship 24 hours a day at either port as well...