Coach/taxi to docks for Southampton residents

Angie463

We have booked the Select price and was wondering, as a Southampton resident and not far from the docks, whether they will lay on a taxi just for us or will we have to go all round the area picking up other passengers? What have other Sotonians experienced?

We have booked the Select price and was wondering, as a Southampton resident and not far from the docks, whether they will lay on a taxi just for us or will we have to go all round the area picking up other passengers? What have other Sotonians experienced?

If you live in Southampton why would you have the coach transfer. Take the OBC and clearly not the car parking..

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When people generally book a cruise, getting to Southampton, the port and quayside is the passengers' own responsibility. You may quite often opt for free parking, coach to the town of Southampton or additional on board credit if you book through a travel agent. If you genuinely do live in Southampton and book a P&O cruise, the extra OBC is for you and book a taxi out of your own pocket.

Regards John

Well I'm confused now and will have to check my paperwork, but I'm pretty sure we were given the option of free car parking or a transfer to the port when we booked via our travel agent, this being one of the perks of the Select fare.

The transfer offered on Select is free coach travel with Cruise Connect and not a taxi to the port. We are using it this time to come down form Scotland which would otherwise be quite costly. You could opt for free parking but that seems pointless. The best thing BY FAR for you to do is take the onboard Credit - money to spend on the ship on whatever you choose

Yes, P&O offer the option of coach transfers but I think you will find Southampton is not one of the pickup points.

edit - I checked and there is a pickup point in Southampton, in the docks!, obviously for transfers out of the city. I live in Kent and the nearest pickup point is central London so useless as it is much easier and quicker to take a train.

The Select Fare benefit options are one from: coach to port, free parking or spending money. If you have not gone for the spending money (on board credit) I should phone P&O and see what they have got you down for and what they can do for you. The other two options are not good deals for Southampton residents.

Regards John

Well I'm confused now and will have to check my paperwork, but I'm pretty sure we were given the option of free car parking or a transfer to the port when we booked via our travel agent, this being one of the perks of the Select fare.

Yes they do but there is a third option OBC (on board credit). The amount depends on cabin type and length of cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you live in Southampton work out the best financial option for you. I live not far from Southampton and taxis are very expensive out here into town, sometimes more expensive than paying for parking for 2 weeks! I would take the OBC and ask a friend to drop off /pick up if possible

regards

Cathy.

Did you book with Bath Travel? I know they often offer a taxi to port service, but that is their perk, not a P&O one. Select fares come with one of coach transfer (useless for you, and anyone from the south, really) parking (not necessary if you have a a taxi) or onboard credit. So, even if you are with Bath Travel and have a taxi transfer, you should also have credit. Sounds like you need to speak to your TA again.

Hi, is it not one of the options on a Select Fare that you can choose from either parking in Southampton or transfer to the port? That is my understanding.

Transfer to the port means on the coach , not a taxi. Can't see P and O providing that but your T A might. We got both coach transfer and obc with select fare with our T A and the return coach is £90 alone. It was well worth us taking the select fare.

I would contact your T A and ask.

We too live near Southampton - about 8 miles away. Very often we've been given both free car parking plus some OBC - on a Select Fare. We like to take our own car and not depend on a friend for a lift. I've certainly never heard of anyone having a taxi arranged for them and paid for by P&O. I think somebody has got their wires crossed or they have a Travel Agent who knows nothing about what P&O offers. If we don't have a free parking offer then we usually get a family member to drop us off at the Port but we'd rather be independent if we can, especially on return to Southampton at the end of the cruise and therefore prefer to park our own car at the port.