Best Snorkeling from Beach-Cozumel

Saskeeter

1. In your opinion, what is the best snorkeling from beach site in Cozumel?

2. Are the snorkeling from beach options remotely close to the excursions by boat to the reefs in regards to quality?

3. Ideally, an option that has great food, a great beach and snorkeling from beach which is all inclusive would be perfect!. We aren't really interested in water sports.

Thanks

I have enjoyed Chankanaab Park a couple times. The park has things to see and the beach is nice. The snorkeling has stairs to go in. Have snorkeled at Money Bar and along the iron shore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Pmorton3360
Not finished.

If you go with Nachi you would need to take the boat out to snorkel. No good snorkeling from a sandy beach.

If you want shore snorkeling Money Bar, Corona or Bucannos but none of these are AI and no big sandy beach. They do have loungers,or hammocks, and sandy areas. Google for photos and websites. Money Bar has good food and drinks and close to port. I haven't eaten at the others so can't comment.

Sky Reef, shore snorkeling and has AI options.

Alternative (that I haven't visited) Playa Uvas which does have different packages, including AI I believe, and some beach.

We have snorkeled from several different beach clubs. Chankanaab is the only one that we have done 3 times. The ironshore in this area has a lot of fish and the coral is starting to come back from Hurricane Wilma. Other beach clubs in this same area are: Corona Beach, the Money Bar, and Playa Uvas. Uvas is next to Chankanaab and is a small club. The service is and food is good, the drinks cold and they do have an AI. Check out the website at: www.playauvas.com.

The best snorkeling is from a boat but the reefs are deep. You will be over water that will range from about 20' to 40' deep.

• 2 weeks later...

We have snorkeled from Uvas twice. We liked it because it had enough sand to sit in loungers and enough Iron Shore that you will see some wildlife when you snorkel.

Included with the admission price is an hour+ "snorkeling tour" (they provide the gear if you need it). The guide takes you out and brings along some fish food to draw them in. On one of the trip we saw a pretty big barracuda, have seen rays, lobsters and a lot of colorful smaller fish.

They have 3 different prices - one for snorkel/beach/facilities only, two adds open bar, and 3 adds lunch to that, but it is from a limited menu. We prefer to just order the food and snacks we want from the restaurant. It's fairly reasonable and pretty good.

We have snorkeled from Uvas twice. We liked it because it had enough sand to sit in loungers and enough Iron Shore that you will see some wildlife when you snorkel.

Included with the admission price is an hour+ "snorkeling tour" (they provide the gear if you need it). The guide takes you out and brings along some fish food to draw them in. On one of the trip we saw a pretty big barracuda, have seen rays, lobsters and a lot of colorful smaller fish.

I take that you didn't see the huge Grouper. That thing looked like it was 4 feet long and as big around as me. We're talking huge. We saw it while we were snorkeling on our own. I got a couple of pictures but I wish the guide had been there with his good camera.

• 2 weeks later...

COZUMELMEXICO – A taxi for 4, total cost $12 dollars each way, took us to Tortuga (will check spelling)a small inexpensive beach front place for the day. Recommended by the tourist information at the port we found ourselves at a beach front bar; for $20 each we got full use of facilities, snorkel equipment, loungers etc, a Mexican lunch, one free locally produced drink, a 5-minute massage and wi-fi.We stayed all day and yes there are the obligatory 3 stalls trying to sell you local gifts, medicines and extras but there is no obligation to purchase anything, just say no thanks. It wasn’t 5 stars but it was relaxed, friendly and great for snorkelling for us beginners. They feed the fish to bring them in and offer a group guided snorkel to take you further out if desired. Small sandy beach and easy access into the water. Beautiful setting when sitting on the wooden walkway or at the front tables looking out over the ocean.

COZUMELMEXICO – A taxi for 4, total cost $12 dollars each way, took us to Tortuga (will check spelling)a small inexpensive beach front place for the day. Recommended by the tourist information at the port we found ourselves at a beach front bar; for $20 each we got full use of facilities, snorkel equipment, loungers etc, a Mexican lunch, one free locally produced drink, a 5-minute massage and wi-fi.We stayed all day and yes there are the obligatory 3 stalls trying to sell you local gifts, medicines and extras but there is no obligation to purchase anything, just say no thanks. It wasn’t 5 stars but it was relaxed, friendly and great for snorkelling for us beginners. They feed the fish to bring them in and offer a group guided snorkel to take you further out if desired. Small sandy beach and easy access into the water. Beautiful setting when sitting on the wooden walkway or at the front tables looking out over the ocean.

Thanks for the review.

I believe someone mentioned going to it on one of the jeep excursions. I think it is quite new and appears to be next door to Playa Uvas?

1. In your opinion, what is the best snorkeling from beach site in Cozumel?

2. Are the snorkeling from beach options remotely close to the excursions by boat to the reefs in regards to quality?

3. Ideally, an option that has great food, a great beach and snorkeling from beach which is all inclusive would be perfect!. We aren't really interested in water sports.

Thanks

Hi. We went to Papito's in Cozumel; I think we booked it through shore excursioneer. We had the whole beach practically to ourselves! * I would totally recommend this place. *

Umbrellas, loungers, snorkel gear, transportation to and from cruise pier was included. They have a cute local restaurant right there, where you can purchase food and drinks. ( I think there was an option to have it be all-inclusive, but we didn't want that. )

- Three of us snorkeled out right from the sandy beach. You don't see much except sand for about 8 or 9 minutes of swimming. Then you find some brain coral, all different colors of fish - we even saw a stingray swimming by. The water was calm and warm and beautiful. The beach is quiet and relaxing.

- Our driver stayed there the whole time. We asked him about the option to go climb the lighthouse. So we left the beach area a little bit earlier which allowed us time to walk around and see the mini ruins, and climb the lighthouse. - See attached pics -

Papitos Cozumel pdf.pdf