QE2 Last photos taken by the departing caretaker crew 2012

roscoe39

My apologies if this has already been posted but I can't seem to remember it being so. A friend just sent it to me so hoping you might find it interesting as well...

RIP QE2

Regards Roscoe

Edited....sorry...Ive been told in no uncertain terms it has...

Edited by roscoe39

She's a class ship, and about the only negative I saw was that the theater seats seemed to be stained with black mold. SOLAS killed QE2, and for really no good reason except to give the ship yards more business. She could have easily gone another 10 years+.

I think your right, I've never sailed on her but judging by the amount of fans she has it's a complete mystery why Cunard couldn't have kept her in the fleet even if it undertook a more leisurely retirement instead of slogging over the Atlantic, I'm sure she would have earned her keep..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Roscoe for posting the pictures. Although I never cruised on her I wish I could have. It seems like Cunard could have and should have done something more constructive with her, especially considering all the love for her around the world. I bet they wish they had've.:o

I agree Kathi, it does seem so sad, eerie and unnatural for the ship to be empty.

On a different note Roscoe, I noticed you are going to be on a segment of the QE world cruise next year. The roll call has been picking up over the last few weeks. We would certainly like to invite you over!:)

Thanks Roscoe for posting the pictures. Although I never cruised on her I wish I could have. It seems like Cunard could have and should have done something more constructive with her, especially considering all the love for her around the world. I bet they wish they had've.:o

I agree Kathi, it does seem so sad, eerie and unnatural for the ship to be empty.

On a different note Roscoe, I noticed you are going to be on a segment of the QE world cruise next year. The roll call has been picking up over the last few weeks. We would certainly like to invite you over!:)

thanks Kathi, just about to cancel QE next year, sadly Cunard have canceled the Egyptian ports and even though it would be my 10th trip there, they were the main motivation for those sectors. Looking at doing the QV back to the states now.

Since heard that all power has been turned off on the QE2 now, we have been lamenting how she must look inside now. Time to let her go I feel and give her a decent burial in the Atlantic where she once ruled.

thanks Kathi, just about to cancel QE next year, sadly Cunard have canceled the Egyptian ports and even though it would be my 10th trip there, they were the main motivation for those sectors. Looking at doing the QV back to the states now.

Since heard that all power has been turned off on the QE2 now, we have been lamenting how she must look inside now. Time to let her go I feel and give her a decent burial in the Atlantic where she once ruled.

It is frustrating imagining her slowly dissolving in the desert heat.:eek:

SOLAS 2010 may have been the final coffin nail, but constant repairs to her aluminum superstructure had become a money pit for Cunard. That, and her plumbing and air conditioning were problematic.

At least she had a proper New York harbor send off and could proudly fly her paying off pennent for a career well done. The France/Norway spent her last service years in decline and with a catastropic ending.

Edited by BlueRiband

Sorry to hear that you are going to cancel, but understand. I have never been to the Egyptian ports and would have loved to see them but under the circumstances would not want to risk safety. Wish you a nice cruise on whichever ship you choose.

What always amazes me seeing pictures of the QE2 is that it started out with what was a very contemporary, even futuristic, 1960s interior and as tastes changed it ended up by the end of its life with a very traditional, some might say old fashioned, interior. I think the original rooms are a great example of how beautiful design endures (and maybe also how fashions in design come back around). I personally adore Michael Inchbald's original design for The Queen's Room - it wouldn't look out of place on a new ship today.

qe2-queens-room-michael-inchbald-1960s-design-interior.jpg.91cb3d238888bf88e86442a881334307.jpg

qe2-queens-room-michael-inchbald-1960s-design-interior-2.jpg.d2db6d9259b3c465229a35442a0a12ed.jpg

qe2-queens-room-michael-inchbald-1960s-design-interior-3.jpg.ab7763f3945a6b8ebbd205e5b80d8d24.jpg

What always amazes me seeing pictures of the QE2 is that it started out with what was a very contemporary, even futuristic, 1960s interior and as tastes changed it ended up by the end of its life with a very traditional, some might say old fashioned, interior. I think the original rooms are a great example of how beautiful design endures (and maybe also how fashions in design come back around). I personally adore Michael Inchbald's original design for The Queen's Room - it wouldn't look out of place on a new ship today.

I completely agree with the Queen's Room. Wonderful place to spend the evening. People don't seem to remember that the great ships were always the latest in technology and fashion. As you noted, the QE2 was the future when launched but morphed into "Olde English" retro by the end. QM2 came out of the box as a faux old time liner. Now it seems new ships must have a theme.

As you noted, the QE2 was the future when launched but morphed into "Olde English" retro by the end.
Because nothing date faster than latest fashion. Cunard found out with QE2 interior. Pass wanted traditional interior. Not space age plastic. Not swinging 60s in the 80s. Looked more out of date old fashioned than ocean liner moderne.
Now it seems new ships must have a theme.
QE2 had movie theme. 2001. Three queens now not date fast as already out of fashion. We old enough remember how loyal pass hate QE2 after two great queens. Every thing said now could be direct quote from 60s. History repeats. Bring back old queen. New queen imposter. Same old thing.

The Queen is dead. Long live the Queen.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

Doesn't she look old fashioned compared to todays mega liners...I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing,I've flown over her a few times into Dubai....thanks for sharing..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think she is bound to look oldfacioned considering when she was built.

Everyone wants balconies now so all modern ships look pretty the same and never as attractive as QE2.

David.