The upsell fairy called

Smellytoes

It was for the Dawn July 31. They wanted $750 pp for aft balcony penthouse on deck 8. We are currently in a BD and paid !400 pp. That price has dropped by about 500. They also offered the owner's suite on deck 9 for 2000 pp. If they came down even a little bit on that one I may have jumped on it.

In all my NCL cruises I have NEVER been called. This was a first for me. The offer was too rich for my blood but it was the thought that counted.

Make a counter offer and keep calling back every week to check in. If the rooms don't sell they will likely give it to you for less. I ended up paying $500 pp more for an owners suite on the getaway up from a minisuite despite the fact that it was originally offered for $1,500 more per person when the upsell fairy initially emailed me. The initial email was almost 3 weeks before the cruise, and 3 days before the cruise they hadn't sold and gave it to me for that price.

Are you sure the price was pp? A couple of years ago when they called us, it was just an upgrade fee for the cabin, and not pp, but then again, that was 2 days before we sailed...maybe that had something to do with it. Those prices sound pretty high to me, doesn't sound like they really want to sell them at that price...lol... :)

Edited by skyfire53

My TA said they won't take a counter offer? I think I'll try again.

Your TA works for you, tell them to call and hang on while she does it, even a 3way if you can. It would bother to have to fight through a TA on something like this. I'm such a direct book person.

Your TA works for you, tell them to call and hang on while she does it, even a 3way if you can. It would bother to have to fight through a TA on something like this. I'm such a direct book person.

What they said. My TA will call and ask for whatever I ask her to. On our last AK cruise, we were booked in an inside and she got them to agree to $256 for a balcony guarantee. It was so worth it!

I talked to her yesterday to see about getting a lower price (we're before final payment) but stressed that we didn't want to loose our booking points (3X). She called back & said we couldn't do anything without losing the points. Normally, not a big deal, but triple points makes us platinum, do it was a deal breaker.

We could book direct, but this TA gives us extra OBC ($150 on the upcoming cruise), so it's worth it to us.

Not really, in spite of what people think. The TA is paid by and works for the cruise line, though they give the impression that they are employed by the passenger.

The TA gets a commission from the cruise line but is most certainly not an employee. The TA is however an agent for the booking client, and should follow reasonable client instructions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really, in spite of what people think. The TA is paid by and works for the cruise line, though they give the impression that they are employed by the passenger.

A GOOD TA will go to bat for his/her client EVERYTIME !!! Yes, they are paid a commission by the cruise lines, however, they are not employees of that cruise line and are not restricted to one cruise line. In the event that one cruise line is more accommodating than any other, they CERTAINLY have the power to recommend which ever cruise line will serve their the client the best.

Completely wrong. TAs do not work for the cruise line.