Anyone know why Aust/NZ cruise cheaper in Jan?

IN AUS $ the Jan 22 is showing as cheaper

except for verandah so probably booking levels?

JAN 6 is peak season here so land prices and airfares would be way higher?

Edited by MrsWaldo

Jan 6 is right in the middle of school holidays so I avoid all cruises in Australia at that time. I love children, but not other peoples children/grandchildren on holidays with me! Jan 22 is better as most school children will be heading back to school around that time, or soon thereafter. There really would be no difference in the weather in early or late January.

kids on SB.So not really worried about that.

But ,,odd,that Jan 22 less in AU.Never knew they switched prices between countries.

Not sure about airfare at that time,but seems should be LESS than the Dec.cruise(over Holidays).???

Anyone go at these times and able to shed some light on this?:confused:

January is a great time to go to Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania. Sydney has a month long festival in January. But it will be crowded because of the school holidays. The North - Cairns, Port Douglas, the reef - will be in the middle of the (very) rainy season.

cruising kirby has it right, Jan 22 will be less crowded.

My question is for anyone who has taken this cruise.There are a lot of sea days.Do you feel that you saw enough.Long way to go want to see as much as I can.

It's impossible on any cruise to Australia and New Zealand to see a lot. If that is the objective, and it would be mine too, I'd suggest a considered land based vacation.

it seems.Just get an overview,but better than not going.We no longer enjoy the land based vacations since we prefer not driving ,and bus tours are out.Little to do but cruise,right?Did many of the other types when younger.

I was also concerned about the 3 sea days across Tasman sea,but looked at many other companies and similar(some 2).Have so many variables to consider,right??

If all the same,Jan.sounds as good as any for discount.;)

January is a great time to go to Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania. Sydney has a month long festival in January. But it will be crowded because of the school holidays. The North - Cairns, Port Douglas, the reef - will be in the middle of the (very) rainy season.

cruising kirby has it right, Jan 22 will be less crowded.

We are booked to travel the North Coast during late November early December are we to expect consistently bad weather up there?

We are booked to travel the North Coast during late November early December are we to expect consistently bad weather up there?

Is it a cruise? That is at the end of the dry season/start of the wet season. Usual weather would be hot and humid but with a smaller chance of rain than in January/February/March.

I go up to Cairns area every late November early December and TBH it is my favourite time of year to be at sea. The weather is very warm and humid, sometimes with overnight showers BUT the seas are very calm as the winds are usually quite light.

I'd rather do late November/december than late april! (and would never do February again)

I just looked at the specific itineraries of the cruises in January 2015 and both are NZ, Melbourne and Sydney (or vice versa). That being the case, January should be good weather wise as you will avoid the north of Australia that will be in the wet season at that time of year. Like everywhere in the world, weather is unpredictable so what should be relatively warm dry weather for NZ and Australia, could be something else in 2015, who knows? But based on temperature averages, it is a good time to cruise the area. You will need to dress in layers in NZ in January as parts of south island can be cool, even in summer, around 12 - 15 degrees C. I have done the crossing from NZ to Australia several times, and the sea days have never been a problem for me, but I enjoy the luxury of sleeping in and generally being lazy. There is usually plenty on offer if you want to keep busy. Once again the crossing can be like glass, or it can get rough at times, just like any other stretch of water in the world, it is the luck of the draw. But in January, there are less storms in that particular area so the chances of good weather is high. Finally, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the 22 Jan departure would be my preference as it avoids the height of school holidays in Australia. Even though there are not too many children on Seabourn at any time, a 6 January departure is a great time for families to holiday together and the chances of grandparents, children, grandchildren booking Seabourn is increased!

Edited by cruising kirby

I'd rather do late November/december than late april! (and would never do February again)

MrsWaldo we did a cruise leaving Sydney 20th Feb to New Zealand and then back to Sydney a couple of years ago with another shipping company and had magic weather for the whole 2 weeks. Not a cloud in the sky. But we always bring the good weather with us :)

MrsWaldo we did a cruise leaving Sydney 20th Feb to New Zealand and then back to Sydney a couple of years ago with another shipping company and had magic weather for the whole 2 weeks. Not a cloud in the sky. But we always bring the good weather with us :)

Yes, I know you do!

(My reply was for the North of Aus)

Can't beat the West islands in Feb!

Early January is usually one of the cheapest cruises available on any line.

Christmas and the New Year festivities have just taken place with holidays being taken from work. To take further time off is not possible for many people and besides they've only just had a holiday.

We once got off a cruise around that time and were offered the chance to stay on board for the same cruise repeated - at around 1/3 of the price we had just paid !

I appreciate Seabourn is slightly different with many retired guests and cruises which often span timescales in excess of the usual 7-14 days but there will be a vast number of people unavailable during January.

Henry :)

• 2 weeks later...