Waterproof Camera--Pros/Cons of one you own

Hi all,

My husband and I are going on a cruise early May and I'd like to purchase a waterproof camera to use while snorkeling. We live in Colorado so I would also like a 'rugged' camera that can take good photos OUT of the water, since we will use it hiking and camping after the cruise.

I've searched the forums and have read the many waterproof camera threads but am still left with not a lot of clarity. Same for internet reviews. I am curious to hear any personal experiences of the following cameras....especially if you have owned more than one or have any huge pros cons.

Here are ones I've been researching:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5

Olympus Stylus TG-830

Nikon Coolpix AW110

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX30

Fujifilm FinePix XP200W

Olympus Stylus TG-2

Canon PowerShot D20 (cruise leaves before D30 comes out) (I have seen a TON of posts about loving the D10 but not so many about the D20)

Ideally we would like to spend ~$300 or so. I know the Olympus TG2 is more, so if for some reason it's THAT much better we may be open to considering it.

We would like a camera that takes good photos under water and good photos as a point and shoot normally (I know I'm not going to get the same level as a regular point and shoot but some good quality would be nice!). Also, one that you've used several times if possible and have had no leaking issues.

Any feedback is much appreciated!!! THANKS :)

Edited by courtsavvy

I have the Olympus tg 2. Pic quality very good, sharpness, saturation , etc. Gps to track a trip or location of pics. Can use a wireless sd card. Cons are weak flash inside and lcd (as are all) a bit difficult to see in bright sun. Mine is in Borneo with son in law on school trip!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Edited by CWRob

Have you looked into a GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition? The camera is $299.00 and it will shoot 1080p video, 10 mega pixel pictures, 10 frames per second burst photos, and time lapse photos. It comes with an underwater housing which is rated up to 180 feet. since you plan on taking it hiking and camping, there are great mounts designed for just that as well.

Have you looked into a GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition? The camera is $299.00 and it will shoot 1080p video, 10 mega pixel pictures, 10 frames per second burst photos, and time lapse photos. It comes with an underwater housing which is rated up to 180 feet. since you plan on taking it hiking and camping, there are great mounts designed for just that as well.

Dittos here. Love my new GP H3+ Black!

Hi all,

My husband and I are going on a cruise early May and I'd like to purchase a waterproof camera to use while snorkeling. We live in Colorado so I would also like a 'rugged' camera that can take good photos OUT of the water, since we will use it hiking and camping after the cruise.

I've searched the forums and have read the many waterproof camera threads but am still left with not a lot of clarity. Same for internet reviews. I am curious to hear any personal experiences of the following cameras....especially if you have owned more than one or have any huge pros cons.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5

Olympus Stylus TG-830

Nikon Coolpix AW110

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX30

Fujifilm FinePix XP200W

Olympus Stylus TG-2

Canon PowerShot D20 (cruise leaves before D30 comes out) (I have seen a TON of posts about loving the D10 but not so many about the D20)

Ideally we would like to spend ~$300 or so. I know the Olympus TG2 is more, so if for some reason it's THAT much better we may be open to considering it.

We would like a camera that takes good photos under water and good photos as a point and shoot normally (I know I'm not going to get the same level as a regular point and shoot but some good quality would be nice!). Also, one that you've used several times if possible and have had no leaking issues.

Went with the Pentax WG3 for my price point. So far the experience has been very good and like the GPS so there is no wondering where we were when taking the shot. Plus item has loads of ops, including a micro facility to take enlarged close ups of very small fish etc. This is my first underwater and the camera is also handy just to throw in a bag for trips.

I have a Pentax WG10, no GPS but just as rugged (theres a youtube video showing a torture test where camera is run over, baked, and literally thrown off a cliff, then they take more pics on it...). Image quality is acceptable, its had no leaks. Used it out kayaking in salt water mostly, though it makes a good rainy-day option too. Living in Seattle area, that's important :-)

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might want to look at the Olympus TG-830. Similar specs to the TG-2, but discontinued. I picked up one at B&H for $200. Frankly, I'd not spend a lot on a camera I'm likely to drown.

Thank you everyone! We are going to give the TG-830 a shot...it's in the mail now so we will see when we get it! Couldn't beat the price at just under $200 to give it a shot! :)

Read the manual and find out if you have to do anything specific to keep the camera water tight.

I had an earlier Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS and they require the rubber gaskets be replaced annually. I called Panasonic Canada parts folks and they said it would take four weeks to get the parts when we were going in two weeks. I took the camera anyway, and ended up drowning it!

I have replaced it with the Nikon that doesn't have the same requirements.

Bodger

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5

Olympus Stylus TG-830

Nikon Coolpix AW110

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX30

Fujifilm FinePix XP200W

Olympus Stylus TG-2

courtsavvy,

I would recommend the Canon D20. I had an Olympus then moved to Canon and now shoot with the D20. It doesn't have a long zoom range, but is excellent for shots even when you aren't in the water.

With that said I just bought a GoPro 3+ Black and won't likely use my D20 much if at all from now on. :o Another good thing about the D20 is they hold their value and if I don't use it I'll sell it. :cool:

GoPro will not let you see the shots as you take them, the 3+Black edition is only good for close in shots under 5 feet; the silver 3+ does better on distance shots.

The Olympus TG-3 just came out. Just slightly over your mark but it is the newest of the new. Waterproof, built in WiFi no wifi card needed, new LCD screen not OLED screen, GPS, special in-built camera features, amazing maco capability to name a few items. ~$350. Free float strap if you order direct from Olympus.

Edited by FireStation46

we just purchased the Sealife Mini 2 Underwater Dive Camera

super sale at scuba . com , good to 130 ft deep , and guess what -- 99.95 and

9.95 shipping, no tax unless calif ... original price is 259.00 -- but, for 100.00 how can you go wrong, and this is a digital dive camera -- its supposed to get wet

we tried it out at beach this week, real nice, we bought the 9x power lithium batteries also, but the 2 free ones with camera still ok after i think 25 pics, pics look good, im happy with camera and price

When you check out all the versions out there you could do a trick on the internet I always use. After typing in the title of your topic just add the word reviews and see what others say

I.e. In Goolge or Bing type in:

Olympus TG-3 review

And see all the comments on the topic

I think you made a good decision with the Olympus. I have the Tough 630 (I think it is) and it takes amazing pictures both under water and above. There are some great settings on it too. If you have read any of my reviews, you will see the awesome pictures it takes. (I really like the fact that it has the miniature setting on it, which ends up looking like a tilt shift photo).

Thank you everyone! We are going to give the TG-830 a shot...it's in the mail now so we will see when we get it! Couldn't beat the price at just under $200 to give it a shot! :)

I'm sure you'll be happy. In this market,it's hard to go wrong.

I have a Sealife DC 800. Sealife now is up to 1400 & they also have a Reef Mini. Very happy with my Sealife. Takes stills & videos. Also i have a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. Takes stills & videos. Very happy with both.