Itinerary changed....confused about Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm

imluvncruzn

Hi. This will be my first cruise to Alaska. When I booked in May, the original itinerary was Seattle, Sea Day, Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle. So I checked the website the other day and the itinerary changed. Its now: Seattle, Sea Day, Juneau, Skagway, Cruise Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle. What does this mean? I hear everyone saying we should take the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm Fjord but will we not be able to or should we not do that now because we are cruising Glacier Bay? Sorry I don't know the difference or if one is better than the other. Please help me understand! Thanks!

Hi. This will be my first cruise to Alaska. When I booked in May, the original itinerary was Seattle, Sea Day, Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle. So I checked the website the other day and the itinerary changed. Its now: Seattle, Sea Day, Juneau, Skagway, Cruise Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle. What does this mean? I hear everyone saying we should take the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm Fjord but will we not be able to or should we not do that now because we are cruising Glacier Bay? Sorry I don't know the difference or if one is better than the other. Please help me understand! Thanks!

Which cruise is this? The general consensus for Alaska is that you want Glacier bay over Tracy Arm.

I am looking for a Glacier Bay out of Seattle for 2018.

We too did Endicott arm instead of Tracy arm because of the ice in Tracy Arm.

Glacier Bay is a World Heritage Site.

If there is too much ice in the fjord, the you will not get into Tracy Arm to see the Sawyer Glacier.

Glacier Bay on the other hand is guaranteed.

(So it sounds like your cruise line has made a prudent change from a chance viewing opportunity to a guaranteed one, or changed to a more frequently requested viewing opportunity.)

I feel like the change is an upgrade.

If they do not stop at Tracy Arm, then they will not offer that excursion. I took it & recommend it, it was mentioned on the itinerary. Last year, many many sailings were not able to get into Tracy Arm.

Tracy Arm is an example of glacier extinction. The glacier has melted 31 miles into the Fjord. Cruise ships need several hours enter and exit Tracy Arm to find the glacier.

Glacier Bay is the preferred option for glacier seekers. The ship enters the park where you are surrounded by glaciers.

As others have mentioned... which cruise ship and day are you on where they changed the itinerary?

Looking at the OP's cruise history it looks like they have cruised only on Carnival - in checking a web site - the Carnival Legend will be doing Alaskan cruises from Seattle next summer - their itinerary includes Tracey Arm - Twin Glaciers so perhaps it is an early season cruise and Carnival figures they won't be able to get very far up Tracey Arm because of ice and perhaps there was an opening into Glacier Bay - the number of ships going into Glacier Bay is restricted each day - and they are taking that opportunity to visit Glacier Bay.

I have done both Tracey Arm - small boat tour and Glacier Bay - there is no comparision - Glacier Bay and it's glaciers which the cruise ships get up close too vs perhaps going part way up Tracey Arm is a no-brainer for me.

Consider it an upgrade and have lot's of camera media card space - also it won't matter which side of the ship you are on - when you reach the Glacier in Glacier Bay - the ship will stop and spent up to an hour turning around and around.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis

Looking at the OP's cruise history it looks like they have cruised only on Carnival - in checking a web site - the Carnival Legend will be doing Alaskan cruises from Seattle next summer - their itinerary includes Tracey Arm - Twin Glaciers so perhaps it is an early season cruise and Carnival figures they won't be able to get very far up Tracey Arm because of ice and perhaps there was an opening into Glacier Bay - the number of ships going into Glacier Bay is restricted each day - and they are taking that opportunity to visit Glacier Bay.

I have done both Tracey Arm - small boat tour and Glacier Bay - there is no comparision - Glacier Bay and it's glaciers which the cruise ships get up close too vs perhaps going part way up Tracey Arm is a no-brainer for me.

Consider it an upgrade and have lot's of camera media card space - also it won't matter which side of the ship you are on - when you reach the Glacier in Glacier Bay - the ship will stop and spent up to an hour turning around and around.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis

It is Tracy. Cruise ships do not get within viewing of the North Sawyer 99% of the time. Carnival has always done Glacier Bay for their first two cruises- for years, has NOTHING to do with Tracy Arm. I have sailed Tracy Arm, with full access in May- several times. Your speculations are not accurate.

Except the time I took the small boat in trying to get to Sawyer Glacier was a May cruise - also they are traveling in August so your note that the first two cruises also go to Glacier Bay wouldn't apply in this case.

Anyways - getting Glacier Bay instead of Tracey Arm is a wonderful update.

Cheers!

Dennis

Sorry I should've mentioned which cruise it is. We are sailing on the Carnival Legend August 15, 2017. It was originally supposed to be Tracy Arm Fjord but the new itinerary is Glacier Bay.

Not sure when they switched it, but we booked the August 15th Legend as a Glacier Bay itinerary in late July. It was a large part of the reason for booking it. Got the itinerary we wanted, at a great price.

See you onboard. :)

Not sure when they switched it, but we booked the August 15th Legend as a Glacier Bay itinerary in late July. It was a large part of the reason for booking it. Got the itinerary we wanted, at a great price.

See you onboard. :)

Oh we booked in May and it was Tracy Arm Fjord on my original email confirmation. I just found out yesterday that it had been switched! Yes will see you onboard! Looking forward to it! :)

We haven't been on a cruise that included Glacier Bay but plan to since I have read so many wonderful things about how amazing it is.

On our August cruise, our itinerary included Tracy Arm but was changed to Dawes Glacier instead. We were happy about the change since we had already seen Tracy Arm on a previous cruise.

Alaska is amazing. Have a great cruise.

Both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay are amazing and the scenery is breath-taking, but they are different.

Tracy Arm has a long approach up the fjord until you get to Sawyer Glacier (South Sawyer - North Sawyer generally has too much ice to get to), but the water is an amazing turquoise; there are spectacular waterfalls; and because of the ice which keeps predators away (and depending on time of year), you'll get to see lots of seals and their pups, and sometimes bears and mountain goats. (You'll need binoculars for those!)

Glacier Bay - well, wow! just doesn't begin to cover it. As you enter Glacier Bay, make sure you're up as you've got an excellent chance of spotting humpback whales. The main glaciers you'll see are Reid, Lamplugh, John Hopkins (if you're lucky - JH is an actively calving glacier and it's almost impossible to get closer than 2 miles; that'll be up to the ship captain), before getting to Marjorie and Grand Pacific Glaciers. Grand Pacific isn't much to look at, but Marjorie is amazing.

As an option, and depending on how long you are in Juneau, there are small boat excursions round trip from Juneau to Tracy Arm (about 45 miles away). But that'll work only if you're in Juneau for a full day as the round trip will take 10-12 hours. But then you'll miss Juneau and Mendenhall Glacier.

Just make sure you spend the day outside with your camera, have an extra memory card, a coat, hat and gloves (it'll likely be the chilliest day on your cruise), and be prepared to be wowed.

Both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay are amazing and the scenery is breath-taking, but they are different.

Tracy Arm has a long approach up the fjord until you get to Sawyer Glacier (South Sawyer - North Sawyer generally has too much ice to get to), but the water is an amazing turquoise; there are spectacular waterfalls; and because of the ice which keeps predators away (and depending on time of year), you'll get to see lots of seals and their pups, and sometimes bears and mountain goats. (You'll need binoculars for those!)

Glacier Bay - well, wow! just doesn't begin to cover it. As you enter Glacier Bay, make sure you're up as you've got an excellent chance of spotting humpback whales. The main glaciers you'll see are Reid, Lamplugh, John Hopkins (if you're lucky - JH is an actively calving glacier and it's almost impossible to get closer than 2 miles; that'll be up to the ship captain), before getting to Marjorie and Grand Pacific Glaciers. Grand Pacific isn't much to look at, but Marjorie is amazing.

As an option, and depending on how long you are in Juneau, there are small boat excursions round trip from Juneau to Tracy Arm (about 45 miles away). But that'll work only if you're in Juneau for a full day as the round trip will take 10-12 hours. But then you'll miss Juneau and Mendenhall Glacier.

Just make sure you spend the day outside with your camera, have an extra memory card, a coat, hat and gloves (it'll likely be the chilliest day on your cruise), and be prepared to be wowed.

Oh thank you so much for your insight! We've been googling Glacier Bay and the pictures look amazing. Alaska has been on my father's bucket list so being able to experience this for the first time with my parents will be very special for all of us! Do they give you blankets to sit out on the deck with?

Oh thank you so much for your insight! We've been googling Glacier Bay and the pictures look amazing. Alaska has been on my father's bucket list so being able to experience this for the first time with my parents will be very special for all of us! Do they give you blankets to sit out on the deck with?

I've only sailed Holland America and Princess, and both did have blankets available. Heavy warm wool, but small - think lap size, at best. You and your dad will love Alaska.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

SecondSister, my family and I are doing a Glacier Bay cruise in May with an aft balcony cabin. Is there any point that you think we would be better off on a forward-looking viewpoint? SIL and I are both disabled so we'd prefer the peace and quiet of the cabin if possible, but not enough to miss anything spectacular.

SecondSister, my family and I are doing a Glacier Bay cruise in May with an aft balcony cabin. Is there any point that you think we would be better off on a forward-looking viewpoint? SIL and I are both disabled so we'd prefer the peace and quiet of the cabin if possible, but not enough to miss anything spectacular.

I personally prefer being on the bow, weather permitting, for most of Glacier Bay, especially on the approach. The stillness of the water ahead of you, the reflections, the birds scooting away from the ship, give it a slightly other-worldly feel that really reinforces the immensity of the area (just Glacier Bay, the body of water, is nearly 1,400 square miles!). And for whatever reason, I don't seem to have as much luck seeing whales from the aft - though that may be a personal failing :)

5-5glacierbay6.jpg

(Photo was taken May 5, 2015.)

When you're at Margerie Glacier (as far as the ship goes into Glacier Bay), usually the captain will stay there for a good 45 minutes to an hour, rotating the ship so each side gets time facing the glacier. At least that's been my experience - the 3 times I've been to Glacier Bay were all on Holland America. Whether you spend much time at the other glaciers is up to the captain. I've had it both ways: a slow drive-by, and a longish rotate for both sides.

The aft view is great as you leave Margerie Glacier and head out of Glacier Bay.

Here's a link to a map of Glacier Bay, if you're interested: http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/glacier-bay-map.jpg

So it's a tough question, and I think a matter of personal choice balanced by ability. Do I think you'll miss anything spectacular from your aft cabin - No. Glacier Bay is spectacular regardless of the direction you happen to be looking. And there is much to be said to be sitting on your own balcony with hot coffee :)

(I feel for you and your SIL - I just did an Alaskan cruise in September with a torn meniscus and torn ACL and it made getting around .... difficult, shall we say. Hanging out on the balcony was a great way to spend the day occasionally!)

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments. The whole family is going and I am just too excited for words. My kids will remember this long after DH and I are gone. SIL and I both have wonderful, supportive husbands who will do whatever it takes to get us to where we need to be, and I am blessed beyond imagination to be able to go on this cruise and see a wonderful part of my country. I have started my packing list already, whenever I see a good suggestion in one of the threads I add it to the list!